Building a JEM or UV from scrap parts. - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2001, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Building a JEM or UV from scrap parts.

I was considering the idea of putting together a JEM or UV from scrap parts. *Basically looking for a rough or unfinished body, a spare neck in good shape, etc. *I'm sure some of you have done this. *Would you like to share your thoughts? *All you guys pretty much cover the all the bases on all the JEMs that have ever been made, so I was gonna try to put an "original" piece together that had character to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2001, 11:57 PM

What's your budget?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2001, 12:04 AM

I love project guitars, to me they are better than new ones, especially when I have the time/money/energy to do it!

Budget and patience is a key player.

I recommend finding a used RG550/570 ($275-350). *It is the closest you'll get to the Jem. *

Assuming that you're not handy with routing, send the body to Chris Tatalias at East Coast Music Mall, for uder $100 he'll give ya an exactly proportioned monkey grip. *(now you're in for about $450) *

If you watch eBay, you may even find a cool neck, like maybe a PGM neck (cool reverse headstock!) or maybe even a USA Custom with offset dots (or shark teeth if ya like that kind of thing) or the queen mother, a Jem neck! *Now you're at about $600+ depending on which neck you use.

The you can finish (or unfinish if you like!) and swap your electronics out if you so desire. *

If you're going to get more involved, you may as well buy a used Jem and refinish or mod the electronics.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2001, 01:32 PM

I was recently thinking of dong the same thing myself.

The massive plus now is that my fiance' has just got a job with Makita and she can bring home any tool she wants at the weekends for personal use (oh and the 50% discount helps too)

The router's on it's way

Steve
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2001, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

I'd rather just buy a used Jem or UV body. *Probably go for a Jem and not a UV though. *I saw a few in some expired ebay auctions for pretty cheap. *They might be hard to find, but I guess this would be the place. *Anyway, I like you idea of mixing and matching necks. *I like the offset dot look on the US Customs, but I also really really like the Vine Desert Yellow neck. *I would most likely refinish the body myself, and the headstock to match, provided I could figure out a worthy clearcoat.

How much does the Edge tremelo cost? *Preferrably used, but might be hard to find used, I dunno.

Either I am going to build this guitar or just outright buy a Parker Fly Classic.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2001, 12:47 AM

Complete Edge trems cost about $180 for a cosmo black bridge.

Used you're looking at about $50-75 for the bridge itself.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2001, 01:09 AM
Vendor

I bought a nice clean one off ebay, was $125 shipped though.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2001, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

Not too bad pricewise for a used. *Now, how impossible will it be to find a neck off the Vine Desert Yellow Jem?

Tags
edge trem , edge trems , jem neck , monkey grip , parker fly , parker fly classic , reverse headstock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode