Buying first guitar... help please - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2001, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Buying first guitar... help please

I am looking into buying my first electric guitar, am mostly looking at the JS1000, Gibson Les Paul Gothic(?), and Fender Jaguar... I only been playing for about 6 months, but I am a very capable player (I am a violinist mainly, talk about shredding ). I have no idea what to get. I play music by Smashing Pumpkins (most of what I play), Joe Satriani, and some Johhny Winters. *I tend to like the Jaguar, but then thats the only one I have acually played (and its quite expensive) I am a bit hesitant to go for the Gibson because of the inconsitency in their lines and the fact I would have no idea if I found a good one or not. Any advice? Almost forgot... thought about 70s Strat

(Edited by Ascendo Rocket at 9:36 pm on April 30, 2001)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2001, 09:26 PM
Vendor

Since you're interested in such vastly different guitars I would strongly recomend you play them all before deciding. One big factor is how huch whammy work you intend to do. The JS is the only beast of the 3 suited for that role.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2001, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Here are the effects I plan to use (most were given to me by a friend) :
Voodoo Lab - Pedal Power
Digitech Whammy Pedal
Electro-Harmonix Small Stone Phaser
Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Electro Harmonix Envelope Filter
Electro-Harmonix Micro Synthesizer
Eventide H3000 Ultra-Harmonizer
Fender Blender (this thing is great)
Voodoo Lab - Pedal Power
Orange Overdrive 120
SustainPunch Creamy Dreamer Pedal
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2001, 09:39 PM
deleted username

Choosing a guitar is one of the most important choices a young man can make in life. *Getting into a good college, staying out of trouble, finding a nice spouse and raising a family are all very important....almost as important as choosing the right guitar.

(Yes- I have issues. LOL)

Kidding aside, I concur with what Rich said. *Go and play all 3 until the store closes. *Only then will you find the one that you want to plop cash down on.

I've seen hardcore blues guys with JS1000's and shred-fu masters with LesP*uls. *Hell- David Allen Coe's been seen with a JEM!!! *Don't let someone else's stigma sway your decision- find a comfy one and you'll be happy for a long time.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2001, 10:12 PM

Try a Jem too if your interested in the JS.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2001, 05:36 AM

If you have all of those nice effects then you might as well have a couple of guitars. Of course, you need to start somewhere.

If you tend to like the Jaguar, then that is probably the right place to start for you. Of course, like others suggest, I recommend trying all before you buy one.

FWIW, I don't think a Jaguar would be good for playing Satriani tunes, but a JS might get you buy for playing Smashing Pumpkins and Johnny Winter.

Rick
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2001, 12:13 PM

I tried my first js1000 this weekend and I did not hold out much hope for it, but then when I plugged it in and sat down to try it out I fell in love. I loved everything about it, the sound, the feel of the neck, and the look(at the time I did not know to much about them so I did not know about the push/pull pot feature which I will try out soon), and when I tried out the jem7vwh it really did not do anything for me(except for the pickups). I thought it would be the other way around, so it just goes to show you, you really gotta try before you buy. Good luck.

Tags
digitech whammy , digitech whammy pedal , electric guitar , electro harmonix , gibson les paul , joe satriani , les paul , voodoo lab , whammy pedal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode