Buying a JEM??? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Buying a JEM???

OK. Here goes.... I'm looking at buying a 7VWH. I know this is sort of personal preference but, also tone and feel. Ebony or Rosewood fretboard? Facts and
opinions please. I have Rosewood and Maple fingerboards on my other guitars
so am familiar. The only Ebony fingerboard I had was many moons ago and only remember it was really "slick" and fast. I've also heard Ibanez dyed some of the Rosewood boards to appear Ebony. What's a guy to do? And what about
the J-Craft deals? facsimiles? Thanks to all who get involved!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Re: Buying a JEM???

I tend to prefer ebony to be honest, but a nice piece of rosewood is also a fantastic way to go. Ebony tends to feel harder and slicker under the fingers and to my ears has a bit more presence to the sound. Rosewood tends to sound a little warmer.

I would say that the brand new JEMs for 2010 with the Edge trem and the rosewood board would be my choice, simply because you are getting a pristing looking guitar in pristine condition and I think that the newness would outweigh my preference for ebony.

There are a lot of hoaxes on the 'bay so I'd also make sure I bought it from Ibanezrules.com. Rich's set ups are legendary and he's very competitive on price. did I mention his set ups?
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 04:08 PM

I can barely feel the fretboard wood under the strings. I'm surprised that people can consider it fast or slow, bad or good.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 04:45 PM

Reviews: 65

I like the rosewood better.
I know the ebony looks better, but the rosewood just makes the tone that little tad "softer" and I think this makes the Evos sound better. But this is totally personal preference, several people like the harder attack of the ebony board better...

I can "feel" no difference playing wise.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

jono, thanks for the link! the tops!
Ibateur, thanks for the input!
Tank last but not least, I also like the "softer" tones of rosewood.
all my ibanez's but one have rosewood. love 'em! thanks for the input!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 06:04 PM

Reviews: 3

I prefer the old ebony because the craftmanship of the whole instrument is way better, not specifically for the rosewood vs ebony dilema. I like both materials, but I prefer an old one that a new one.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 06:41 PM

Reviews: 9

My favourite JEM other than my own was a 1999 7VWH. I've seen a brand new one recently that wasn't the same! Apart from the Ebony board and the Lo-Pro Edge (probably my favourite bridge) it had some serious weight. It felt like I could throw it across the room and it'd still be in one piece, sound great and most likely be in tune, whereas the new one was just a prestige like any other. The JEM, at some point in the not too distant past, stopped being a flagship guitar and just became another signature model.

If I'm buying a 7VWH, the older the better, condition pending.

Tbh, I'd also restore the hell out of it, I don't mind chips and marks, but I also like everything to work. My 91 FP has the pickups, strap buttons, trem arm and knobs somewhere safe until it becomes 'vintage', for now it's gotta be a serious player, and I like that it looks like it's just come out of the factory. I do however like the wear on the bridge, tuners, nut, neck plate, pickguard and screws, lol.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 02:14 PM

Reviews: 5

There are so many VWHs out there, if you keep your eyes open, you should be able to find one in top-notch condition from just about any era you like. I really like my '97 with ebony board and Lo Pro, but I don't know if either of them affect the tone whatsoever--I just prefer the look and feel of ebony and like the Lo Pro.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 05:26 AM Thread Starter

thanks to all of you for your input. for those interested i
have decided on a 2002 jem from Rich Harris at ibanez rules.
special thanks to jono for pointing me in that direction. great guy
to deal with... get back to you on the "set up"....lol
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 09:13 AM

I was just looking at that Jem today. Good choice! That's a nice one. Great condition, but enough wear to give it character.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 06:00 PM
HDS

I tend to like the taste of ebony better then rosewood, I found rosewood to taste...woodier then ebony. Maple taste nothing like Aunt Jemima's pancakes no matter what the label states =p
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 01:40 PM

So what is a 7VWH with an ebony board going for nowadays? I am thinking of trading one of my PRS's for one.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 02:30 PM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: Buying a JEM???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank View Post
I like the rosewood better.
I know the ebony looks better, but the rosewood just makes the tone that little tad "softer" and I think this makes the Evos sound better. But this is totally personal preference, several people like the harder attack of the ebony board better...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
I tend to prefer ebony to be honest, but a nice piece of rosewood is also a fantastic way to go. Ebony tends to feel harder and slicker under the fingers and to my ears has a bit more presence to the sound. Rosewood tends to sound a little warmer.
Rosewood, being a softer wood has a lot more potential tonal properties than the limited ebony...

I myself am a rosewood fan!!
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 02:56 PM

Prefer how rosewood feels. Vastly prefer how maple sounds. Would ebony be a happy medium?
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADTUNES666 View Post
Rosewood, being a softer wood has a lot more potential tonal properties than the limited ebony...
No, it has different "potential" not more "potential".

Tags
jem7vw??

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode