Buying a JEM! - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Buying a JEM!

Ok im looking into buying a JEM. The thing is kinda a beginner guitarist. Iv only been playing for about 6 months and don't know very much about guitars. Ideally i would like to purchase a JEM777DY. But before i do i have a few questions and thought the people here would be able to provide me with reliable information.

My first question is how much would a JEM777DY run for? I would like one in decent condition. I would like to have a rough estimate so i have something to aim for when saving my money.

The second thing i would like to know is what are some things i should look for when buying a JEM. Like tips on spotting if its a fake or anything about its quality and condition.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 10:11 PM

Reviews: 1
Re: Buying a JEM!

If I were you I would get an Ibanez RG 370 or 470. Its basically a jem and you wont have to worry about getting dings and nicks. Its got the floyd rose tremolo, the same pickup configuration, 24 jumbo frets. The jem is based of this guitar http://www.vai.com/Machines/guitarpages/guitar068.html

I think you could get a RG and customize it with some kick ass pickups and electronics (check out the strat!) and actually have a more unique and maybe even better guitar for like a quarter of the price, and you wont feel bad when you drop it. Also jem necks are unfinished on the back and the fretboard has a very very light finish that wears off really easily. Then the neck gets dingy and black.As a beginner you want a guitar you can get down and dirty with, I would venture to guess that if you bought a jem you would want to keep it nice and therefore you would limit yourself and the fun you could be having wailing away on more of a workhorse guitar.

Last edited by freakout; 12-16-2008 at 10:23 PM.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 10:27 PM

Yeah, what he said^. If you're only a beginner like you said you don't need a $2000 dollar guitar, especially since you don't know if you're even gonna really stick with it. Assuming youre playing a beginners guitar right now i would go for a nice mid-range RG or something of the sort. You can grab one with nice dimarzios in it on e bay for something like 400ish.

I started off with some piece of crap epiphone and waited about 8 months before I got "good" (I have kind of ridiculous standards for what "good" is lol), then I upgraded to a nice Ibanez Destroyer (the DT420), and have been through dozens of guitars since and am now on a straight up custom-built guitars only kind of deal. They're certainly not a good investment but if you're buying guitars to play 'em rather than sell 'em, and you have the money for something like a JEM, my opinion is it's cooler to get something completely built for ya to your specs and have it be unique too. There's my 2cents.

As for the whole "deciding if its fake" thing, if you're not sure you can just post it here and people'll tell you. Folks here seem to do that all the time and get an answer pretty quickly.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

I realize where you are coming from but i really want a JEM. I work a really crappy job and would like to spend my money on something i would really enjoy. Plus recently i bought a really cheap 7-string and and kinda missing 6 stings.

I just really want a JEM!!!!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 11:11 PM

DYs haven't been made for a long time and they are a bit pricey. I would recommend going with a Jem DBK. They are absolutely Jems and can be had for 1000 - 1250. Amazing necks on them, great guitars, they just never took off popularity wise. That would be a great introduction into the world of Jems. Use the remaining money you save getting a nice(r) amp and a pedal or two.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Yeah i was looking into other JEMs but want something with a lot of color. I have about like 1500 I am willing to spend on a guitar.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 11:16 PM

If you get GAS to early on it takes away from musicianship. Enjoy playing guitar, wether it be on a jem or a nylon string.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 11:26 PM
DJR

ignore these conservative preachers and knock yourself out with a funky neon yellow pink and green Jem! then 20yrs into your playing, you would have had a quality companion from pretty much the beginning. However (and just to be a complete hypocrite) if you are very much a beginner, the world of a floating floyd rose tremelo system may get in the way of your progress as a player, it might even put you off so bear that in mind, because to a novis, they can be a pain in the rear end, especially when they're not set-up right, which is often the case.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 11:32 PM

There's a hardtail Jem on the horizon as well....
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 11:42 PM

I don't mean to be a jerk. Im just trying to share from my experiences. I had a RG470 that I sold, and now I have a 777DY. Yeah it didn't look as cool and it sounded like crap (it had those stock v7 v8 pups) but it played just as good or better then the jem and i didn't stress about keeping it super clean.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 12:08 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input. The thing is that i want a JEM pretty bad. Im trying to enjoy my money while i still can.

But as for the JEM777DY, how much would they cost? Like ballpark estimates. So far all iv gotten is "Buy something cheaper" or "they are pricey." Im kinda set on buying a JEM, i just really like the way they look. Iv played one a few times and get really excited after i do play it.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenix700 View Post
Thanks for all the input. The thing is that i want a JEM pretty bad. Im trying to enjoy my money while i still can.

But as for the JEM777DY, how much would they cost? Like ballpark estimates. So far all iv gotten is "Buy something cheaper" or "they are pricey." Im kinda set on buying a JEM, i just really like the way they look. Iv played one a few times and get really excited after i do play it.
around $2000, Players around the $1500 mark or so. You can't go wrong with the DY.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakout View Post
.......but it played just as good or better then the jem.....
Good joke!
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMerkert View Post
Good joke!
Lets not start this thing again. Everyone's welcome to their opinion. I had a midrange RG with dimarzios and the sound and playability difference in my opinion between it and a 7vwh (i did a direct comparison side by side) was minimal. For some people it might be a huge difference, but in my case I didn't hear much at all. Let the man have his opinion .

I think in general a lot of people think the people saying that kind of stuff are the people who can't afford a JEM (and thus are jealous of those who have em and want to make up reasons why its a waste), but me and everyone i know who agrees with this idea are people with plenty of guitars worth at least as much as some of the regular (not special edition) Jems. So who knows...
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 07:22 AM

There is no problem with this opinion, mine is another, but it's only mine.

Tags
jem777dy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode