Buying a JEM7VWH - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Buying a JEM7VWH

Hey everyone. I'm new here, but I'm a guitar player, so I think I fit in. :P
Currently I'm playing a Fender Mex (not crap) Strat, but am wanting something else.

I'm a huge fan of Steve, and I heard about Ibanez's Signature Vai guitars. The JEM7VWH really caught my eye. It looks beautiful, and it has a floyd rose and 24 frets (which I both want).

Can someone tell me how they like the scalloped neck? I never experimented with that sort of design. I read that it allows for increased bends, is that true?

Also, share your "I love my JEM7VWH" stories with me if you have any. I'd like to find out more about this guitar from you guys.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 04:40 PM

Welcome!

The 7VWH is certainly a killer way to get into the Ibanez line. Kind of like getting a Ferarri for your first car! Great feel, great tone, stunning cosmetics...the 7VWH definitely has it all. I've had (3) and have loved each and every one of them. I hope to have another soon.

As for the scalloped frets, only the top (4) frets are scalloped. I've found the effect to have very little impact on playability, though it does seem a bit easier to get a good grip in the higher registers.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Cool. If the scalloped frets do something I'll be happy with it. :P

The monkey grip handle looks neat too. The 7V is such an original guitar. The fretboard vine looks godly, and so does the finish. It adds a good punch to an already wicked guitar eh?

How's the tremelo on the 7V? For example, if I tried playing the whammy harmonic effects that Steve does in Bad Horsie, would my Ibanez go out of tune (if the springs and strings and everything were 'broken in')?
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 04:56 PM

welcome to jemsite, and no, set up properly, that is what these guitars are designed for, they rock, and you can wang the bar as much as you want!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Sweet! Sounds like a good guitar!
Does the monkey grip handle work well? Looks sorta fragile... is it likely to break off or something?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 05:43 PM

the monkey grip is as tough as steel. should be just fine...picked my guitar up like a suitcase many a time.

And as far as those scallops, I debated thier merit alot...then I realized that there is a good function: for bending notes. Because there is a little crevase, your finger can anchor against the fretboard considerably better, particularly when you do serious bends.

While I don't notice them when i'm just playing, when I bend, I can tell they're there.

As vaijem said....this is the ferarri baby....buy it, and take care of it....but play play play!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Cool. Good to hear it's all durable.
Now I'm really looking forward to holding this baby in my arms.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 01:48 AM

The 7vwh is a killer guitar! Even tough I don't own that particular model myself, I have played it several times. A very good way to get into the Ibanez guitars.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 06:15 AM

My JEM7VWH is the fourth Ibanez that I have owned. I started with a Roadstar II some years ago. Then I got a RG-570, followed by a JS1000. All three guitars have been sold - no problems with any of them, just not the right guitars for me. The JEM is a keeper!

Monkey grip - looks funny to some, but I find it a VERY practical way to safely carry the guitar. It is sturdy - will not break off in your hand!

Scalloped fretboard - makes for easier fingering of those upper few frets. (Less wood to rub against)

But hey, don't take my word for it go play one! And save your $ - 'cause they don't giv'em away...
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 09:09 AM

i am so used to monkey grips that guitars look funny without them!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davester1234
i am so used to monkey grips that guitars look funny without them!
Me too. But seems to be weir to people thats not used to them.

Comments: "Whats's this hole in your guitar ?"

Funny, but usual.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 11:29 AM

hehe,

actually people usually tell me they think its looks cool!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 12:26 PM

I never actually use the grip, but I think it looks soo coool. I think Ibanezes w/o it looks kinda strange.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

I bet that once I start using the grip, I won't be able to live without it! :O

Tags
floyd rose , ibanez guitars , killer guitar , monkey grip , scalloped fretboard , scalloped frets , scalloped neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode