Buying Jems abroad?? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2003, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Buying Jems abroad??

hi guys

i might be going on holiday to florida around march , and if i do i was thinking of getting a jem there, but i was wandering if this was practical (its a damn lot cheaper!!)? the only thing i worried about was getting it home.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2003, 09:51 AM

Reviews: 1
Most airline-companies won't let you take the guitar as hand-luggage. That means you'll have to put the guitar in the cargo-space. Not something I would like to do...(crushing-damage, cold, humidity?). Handling by personel isn't very gentle either most of the time. Plus you'll have to pay taxes. In Holland that's about 23% extra.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2003, 11:55 AM

I spent 5 months working in the USA and bought an RG450DX in Cash America Pawn, for $250. It came with a hard case. It travelled to Iceland, London, then finally back home to Glasgow. I just brassed it. I should have declared it, but i just picked it up and walked through "nothing to declare", i mean, how where they gonna prove i didnt take it with me ? or that it wasnt a gift ? i can remember thinking when i got out the airport and checked it, the guitar was freeeezzzing cold, but other than that, it was fine.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2003, 12:09 PM

yeah, just make sure to remove the tags from the guitar and not leave any clue that it was newly bought in the US and you should be good.

I've carried an RG550 as carry-on before using a gigbag and they were cool with that.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2003, 01:01 PM

Reviews: 1
Then you all were very lucky .

They have the right to put taxes on the guitar if you can't prove that it already belonged to you when you left. So take your original bills or have your guitarstore write you a bill (if they want to do that in the first place. you're not buying at with them). Problem is that they actually check the ser.#, the ser.# must be on the bill.

This also goes for second-hand guitars. There are Customs-agents that are there specifically for instrument. They look at the instrument, look up the value in the Orion Blue Book and tax it.

It even happens that if you take your forged bill, that they will determine wether or not you actually paid the store, etc. I know this from the owner of a guitarstore.

Maybe passing Customs in the UK is easier but in Holland it won't work most of the time.

And if they catch you, you'll get a fine you could have bought a second Jem with
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2003, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

thanks for your help, looks like im going to have to think about this one. Hmmm
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2003, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Buying Jems abroad??
I don't know what a guitar would do with a woman, but you should probably let it pick one out for itself. And phrase it a little more politely.

Yes, this is a joke. Hopefully people get it.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2003, 06:52 PM

here's an idea

buy a JEM case in the country you live, then go out with the case and buy a JEM with cash and then bring it back. it's ****in' simple
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-06-2003, 12:05 PM

If you've got a friend with a UK reciept for the type of jem you want...........sneaky!

If you bring one back don't open the case 'till it's warmed up, or you'll get condensation in the electrics.
try a silica gel pouch too ( find them in shoe boxes)
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-06-2003, 12:09 PM

Ok, this idea came to me as I was brushing my teeth this morning.

if you're travelling with someone, have that person take the case back for you. make sure you go thru customs + immigration separately so as to appear that both of you are travelling alone and that your companion is just bringing home a case, thus the tax on it will be next to nothing if they choose to tax it.

and what 'bout the guitar? take it apart and hide it in your suitcase.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-06-2003, 12:21 PM

How about getting a "free Nelson Mandela" sticker, attach it to the guitar and try to convince the customs officer that it's an old guitar that you bought in the 80s?
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-06-2003, 01:30 PM

And wear a pair of Deely bobbers and cary a can of Quatro
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-06-2003, 01:38 PM

Joking aside its the Second hand US market were you can save.
I got a absolute mint RG3120TW off auction and even with shipping and tax it only cost me just over 500.
Second hand DBK's are cheap too. Get one at a good price and you could end up paying 200 or so less. Even if its not quite the one you want, youv'e got some equity if you trade in for a brand new one. Best of all its Legal!!
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-06-2003, 02:36 PM

Normally, it is possible that you carry it through customs.

If you have paid taxes in the US, and you can prove it (invoice, not a bill), they can't charge you any new taxes when you arrive.

On the other hand, it is possible that you don't pay taxes in the US, and then you have to pay them in Europe, if you go through customs like that, you can have a real cheap Jem. But have the US sales person have it's accountant or tax consultant inform him what there should be on the invoice. He doesn't have to pay taxes to the State, but you have to pay them where you enter the E.U.

If you buy a guitar secondhand in the US, let the seller write a letter that it was a gift and secondhand. Like that it isn't possible to pay extra taxes.

For more info, contact me and my own tax consultant agency

Yes, I'm a tax consultant....
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-06-2003, 06:53 PM
Vendor

"Gift" status varies per country. Most countries will only allow $50 or $100 valuation on a "gift" before customs duties apply. I haven't met a country yet that doesn't charge cutoms fees just because something was "preowned"

Tags
fret wire , guitar body

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode