Buying an MC semi-blindly - need your valuable help asap ple - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2002, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Buying an MC semi-blindly - need your valuable help asap ple

ok here's the deal: i have the possibility of buying a MC Universe for a really good price (US$800!!!!). the thing is the seller lives in another country. i have an aunt in that country, so she could buy it for me in person. obviously she couldn't distinguish a MC from a GIO series with some color stickers, so i need directions like 'look beneath the tuners and it should say F91xxxx made in japan' or 'there's a a metal plate where the body meets the neck that says ibanez universe' i hope you understand what i mean.

Also if you had detail pics of it, like the neck plate, serial number, the edge etc, it would be greatly aprecciated.

Another thing: the guy sells the guitar without the bar or back covers. i suppose i can get another bar easily and the worst scenario without back covers are totally destroyed electonics, which shouldn't be hard to replace. am i right?

Thanks a lot guys!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2002, 09:51 PM

Buying an MC semi-blindly

Caprile, forget about checking for MIJ. what if it's a Korean neck, I bet your aunt's gonna say I won't take it. I'd send her pics of other MCs if you can (by mail if you have to)

parts should be easy to come by. electonics - even easier. even if you puke at the swirl, you can still sell it for a lot more than $800.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2002, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

yes that what i mean: something like:here's a pic of the neck plate, it should be identical with another serial number' my plan was to email her pics of other MC's. thanks a lot!!!!

i suppose at 800 it shouldn't matter if its ATD or japan, or some light scratching right?
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2002, 03:10 AM

If it is a genuine MC it is a STEAL at $800, no matter how ugly the swirl might be.

Good luck!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2002, 04:57 AM

Quote:
i suppose at 800 it shouldn't matter if its ATD or japan, or some light scratching right?
I don't mean to hijack your thread, but since you've mentioned it, can someone explain to mean the difference between the ATD swirl and Japanese swirl, in terms of the actual appearance and value? And is it easy to tell by a glance?

And good luck with the buy! Sounds like a steal! :thumbsup:

- raijin

(Edited by raijin at 8:51 am on Mar. 15, 2002)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2002, 05:20 AM

If it's not ATD, you can always send it off to have a PAW swirl done to it, and still pay less overall than you would for an ATD. As long as it's got the pyramid neck inlay it'll all be good.

edit:
If you need to make sure it's an MC and not some converted BK, then make sure that whoever will b buying it has a picture of what the neck inlay looks like (must be pyramids, no dots), and also knows that the pickguard has to be clear, and not a black one. This should help you to avoid getting a uv7bk that's been done up.

Also get several examples of MC paintjobs so that they can get an idea of what it's most likely to look like. Examples of ATD uv's and the japanese ones. Several.

(Edited by 7 Dying Trees at 5:34 am on Mar. 15, 2002)
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2002, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

well, at this moment i only have one front pic. it does have the clear pickguard, and color pyramids on rosewood. the swirl isn't the best i've seen, but c'mon it's a UVMC for $800!!.

btw: if i decide not to get it (i'm short a couple 100's, and don't know if i wanna borrow) * i promise to put it here. i'm positive this guy has never been here on jemsite.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2002, 09:58 AM

I have two MCs and a PWH, and as far as I'm aware, early model UVs do not have a serial number sticker on the back of the headstock. *At least on my three, the serial number is on the neck plate.

The suggestions from others here are good ones: *pyramid inlays, clear pickguard ... oh, and how about making sure it has 7 strings?! *:biggrin:

J *
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2002, 10:13 AM

Serial number will be on the neck plate, as will the ibanez and the universe logo. Oh, and it's rear routed, but that should be pretty apparent from the clear pickguard...
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2002, 04:50 PM
Vendor

Quote:
raijin on 4:57 am on Mar. 15, 2002
I don't mean to hijack your thread, but since you've mentioned it, can someone explain to mean the difference between the ATD swirl and Japanese swirl, in terms of the actual appearance and value? And is it easy to tell by a glance?
- raijin
Go to my Gallery, all the UVMC's are now organized by who swirled them.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2002, 04:59 AM

Thanks, Rich. On my way!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2002, 03:11 PM

if it's a Korean neck it won't have pyramids, or say universe. *If it's a true MC, it will have a rear route body, with the marvellous things Darren can do with the front cavity covers, it could still have a clear guard that looks convincing. *MAKE SURE IT'S A REAR ROUTE BODY!!!!!!!! *Herc does the inlays in a Rosewood neck too, I do for that matter (though I haven't done a UV neck yet) so even finding the neon pyramids may not be for sure, BUT! *if they have payed for inlays and a swirl and are still selling for $800, they are mental anyway. *If it was me as the seller, if $800 was all I wanted, I would be willing to remove the neck when I change the strings and take at least a picture of the heel and pocket to show the seller, they will determine if it's true or not. *

Good luck!

Tags
atd swirl , cavity cover , neck inlay , neck plate , pyramid inlay , pyramid inlays , rosewood neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode