Buying my first JEM - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2003, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Buying my first JEM

Hey guys, Im thinking of buying my first JEM in the next 12 - 24 months.

Currently I own a Jackson JS30 and I'm wondering if the JEM will be good for me as I have only been playing a year.

Any way heres a few questions.

What type of JEM should I get?
How much should I be ready to pay (UK Pounds)?
Used or New?

Andy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2003, 05:36 PM

Used DBKs are good and cheap.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2003, 05:52 PM

Jem's are great guitars. If your playing a Jackson now, a Jem is much more similar than say a PRS or Gibson. So you should be able to adjust with ease. But we cannot tell you if it's the right guitar for you because only you can decide that. So go find one a play it a whole bunch and then you'll have a good idea of what all Jem's are like.

Ok now that that is out of the way. It's up to you if you want to go new or used. New you get a brand new, unplayed guitar with a warranty. Used you get no warranty, played guitar but you save hundreds. I would go with used because you save lots of money and in a way it's more fun to buy used then new. Especially if you get a great deal. You will have to forgive me because I don't know the exchange rate from dollars is so I will leave that to someone who knows.

Now, What Jem to get? Well you have quite a choice really. Just look around Jemsite and you will see all the Jem's ever made. Then, I suggest trying to find the ones that look more visually appealing to you. Why? Because all the Jem's a pretty similar when it comes to the stuff that really matters. They all have great pick-ups, the all have the best trems, they all have great necks (however those very slightly). The big element that is different in Jem's is the neck joint. Older ones have a standard block neck joint. (I feel dumb because I don't know what they were called. ) Then the newer ones have a the AANJ (All Access Neck Joint). It allows smoother and easier acces to the upper frets. So that can limit your choice if it really matters to you. And again I apoligize because I don't know when the AANJ came into being.

If I were to recommend a model I would say go with a 7DBK if you want to spend less money or a 7VWH/7VSBL you have a bigger budget. The reason I choice these is because the older models I like are gaining value with time and seem to cost quite a bit. However it is up to you. So find a model you like visually and then go from there. I hope this essay helped. If school was in session I would probably turn it in.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2003, 06:20 PM

i would save up money and buy someone that is trusted off this site

either a DBK or a older jem, some say the older ones are the best
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2003, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEMavenger
Used DBKs are good and cheap.
couldn't have said it better
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Im not too sure to be honest, JEMs are well expenisive over in the U.K. and if I were to buy off someone from the board, shipping would be a complete and utter bi-atch to pay for.

Thanks for your help guys, I'm definatley considering right now..

(wonders if Rich does discounts for forum members hehehehehheheh )

Andy!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 12:24 PM
Vendor

He doesn't, but he will declare the value as cheap as you want to avoid some of the customs duties
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy129
Im not too sure to be honest, JEMs are well expenisive over in the U.K. and if I were to buy off someone from the board, shipping would be a complete and utter bi-atch to pay for.
i bought my first (and only, to date) JEM from america off ebay. The shipping wasn't much of a problem, i think it only end up costing me 70-80 in the end, which considering the saving i made on the guitar made it still worth it. If you can, buy second hand from the US. Rich is an excellent place to start, as you are guarenteed good packing, a good set up and a reliable service, so i'm told.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 01:21 PM

Jems are great; flexible, reliable, easy to play, and cool to look at. I have two, and have a Universe on the way. I think if you've only just started to play you should spend the next few months playing everything you can get your hands on. You really can't go wrong with a Jem, but play the Tele and the ES-355 when you pass them by in the mucic store. Check out the Rickenbackers and stuff. there are lots of great guitars out there, and now is the time to check them out. Going after a Tele (which is an excellent guitar) may be difficult after you've had your hands around the neck of a Jem.
If you don't have a tube amp, you might want to take care of that, too.

good luck, and take your time - play 'em all,

jim
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 10:07 PM

Keep an eye on the Buy/Sell section here...

Tags
access neck joint , neck joint , tube amp , upper fret , upper frets

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode