Buying a new guitar... Please help me! - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Buying a new guitar... Please help me!

I'm looking to buy a new guitar, and I'm really considering the Ibanez Jem7v but what's really important to me is versatility. I pretty much don't play anything except hardcore rock with lot's of pinch harmonics or soft/acoustical type stuff. Is this guitar good for low tunings, like drop C, (maybe even drop B?) and is it gonna do well with metal music?

Overall, I'm just looking for a guitar with a H-S-H pickup setup that sounds good with high distortion and crystal clean tone. Basically, versatility.

If anyone can think of a guitar that would be a lot better, I'm willing to spend between $1,500 and $2,000

Please help!

-Jacob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 03:38 PM

Re: Buying a new guitar... Please help me!

If you want a guitar that is suitable for drop B you should consider going towards a 7-string like the Ibanez UV or an Ibanez K7. And as for the pinching stuff.....the jem7v will do fine. Originaly wasn't meant for metal. And it depends what kind of amp you play.
My advice: Just go out there and try some different guitars (Ibanez, ESP, BC Rich, Jackson) on different amps (or the amp you are using)
(Get your amp in good shape for some low end metal.....try 6L6 tubes.)

Last edited by mlj275; 11-07-2007 at 03:48 PM.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 03:51 PM

Unless you set up a floating bridge for a specific tuning and leave it the trem might prove to be a giant pain in the ass. You could always install a Tremel-No.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

I know this is gonna sound lame but what is a Tremel-no, and what is a floating bridge?

Also, if it makes a difference, for now I'll be using a Line 6 Spider III HD150 head (yes I know it's not amazingly good, it's only temporary until I can get a Mesa dual rectifier) with a Marshall 1960 cab

And one more thing, I doubt I'll be using drop B a whole lot, if I decide to go that way, I'll get a baritone guitar, I was just saying that as a just-in-case measure. Lowest I'll probably play is C.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 09:16 PM

Reviews: 6

The jem is definately not what you're looking for if you do not know what a floating bridge is. Go look at some hardtail guitars. It'll save you time with tuning and you might want something with EMG's as opposed to Dimarzio evos.

good luck
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

I'd still love to know what a floating bridge is. My guess is that it's another word for a routed bridge cavity?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

OK HOW ABOUT THIS?

Ok guys, so do you think a Prestige Series with EMGs would be better suited for this?
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 09:41 PM

Floating bridge = trem system that goes up and down, avoid it if you want to use one guitar with different tunings.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 09:44 PM

Oh, my apologies. Look at the Jem for example. You see the bridge? Unlike a hardtail, it is exactly mounted directly on the body. It's opposing edges also called knife edges are place on some posts that are drilled in securely to the body. Then there are springs in the back attached to the bridge that apply tension in one direction to oppose the tension that the strings innevitably place and try to pull the bridge into the other direction. So a floating bridge does as it is named. It floats. It's more complicated than it sounds because to get it to float at the right angle and for you to make the most of the bridge, you have to ensure that the tensions of the springs in back match the tension of your strings. Now that'd be easy if the string tension was always the same, but different strings different tensions. It's not only because of their size, but fabric and even the company that makes em. Then depending on how you tune your guitar, you will also have to adjust the springs to match it. It's easy if you grasp the idea and know how to execute it, but it's hell for someone who doesn't know. I thought i knew all about my bridge when i was young. Then one day after 6 months of playing without tuning or even needing to perform any care for it, i broke a string and that was the end of that. I could no longer run, i had to learn how to tune floating bridges. It took me about a week. And then just to change the strings, reset the bridge, match the tensions and lock it, it would take me and hour. Nowadays i can do it properly without having to fix it a second time in about 20 minutes.

So if you wanna save yourself some time and if you want to be able to alternate your guitars tuning a bit, i'd recommend a hardtail bridge, but if you want to join the legions of great musicians who use their tremolos to do some impressive tricks and brighten their music with little effects, grab any guitar with a floating bridge whether it be an ibanez guitar with their edge pro's or the Floyd Rose and patented copies out there!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Domo arigatou

Will a floating bridge at least do well with Drop D?
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 09:45 PM

Re: OK HOW ABOUT THIS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoking101 View Post
Ok guys, so do you think a Prestige Series with EMGs would be better suited for this?

Definately. Prestiges are amazing guitars. Ever so versatile and they are worth way more in playability value than the tag they are given. The Jem will cost you way more because of the fact that it is a signature guitar still.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoking101 View Post
Domo arigatou

Will a floating bridge at least do well with Drop D?
Only if you set it up for Drop D and leave it there.
The tension of the strings keeps the bridge where it needs to be, so if you lower the tension by detuning the guitar the bridge will not sit where it needs to without adjusting it for each different tuning.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the help. I'll start looking into a Prestige series guitar.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 09:52 PM

I'd avoid EMGs too if you want versatility. They arent bad pick ups, but the humbuckers dont split.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 10:08 PM

I only suggested because it seemed to me like it was what he was looking for. I myself don't like them, but i must admit when it comes to heavy metal, the EMG's murder the competition. Also, there's hardly ever the need to split an EMG. Also wiring them to be able to add an extra 9v battery will raise the output extremely. I've tried it, and it added definition and a cleaner tone to the pick-up. It didn't sound so dirty with it in that mode. Just a little bit of advice if ever you're feeling experimental...

Tags
baritone guitar , clean tone , dimarzio evo , dual rectifier , fixed bridge , floating bridges , floyd rose , hardtail bridge , heavy metal , ibanez jem , mahogany body , mesa dual , mesa dual rectifier , pinch harmonics , signature guitar , string tension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode