Buzzing/Choking on only a few frets? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Buzzing/Choking on only a few frets?

My JS1000 is giving slight buzzing at the 14th, 15th and 16th fret on the B-string as well as 13th, 14th, 15th and 16th of the high E-string. You feel it through your fingers more than hear it when plugged in.

If I bend the high E-string at say the the 14th fret it chokes out. The action seams OK and playing chords with these notes you don't notice it - just when playing single notes.

Is this likely to be a problem with a fret or the neck?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 08:23 PM

Re: Buzzing/Choking on only a few frets?

It could be either ... or both, or neither. There's not really any way to tell without examining the guitar. It probably needs some fret work (especially if you are using really low action) -- and you may want to have a little compound radius put into the frets to help avoid choking on bends if you do a lot of that.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 08:49 PM

Reviews: 18

Sounds like the frets need to be polished. I would order this and polish the frets, it could be that they're simply dirty.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishin...al_Polish.html

Jimmy
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post
Sounds like the frets need to be polished. I would order this and polish the frets, it could be that they're simply dirty.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishin...al_Polish.html

Jimmy
I might have to give that stuff a shot...
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I don't think the action is too low - it is a bit higher than my other Ibanez Guitars (RG, JEM, UV) as the fret-board isn't so flat. I can do multi fret bends low down the fret-board with no choking. It looks like I could try polishing those few frets before taking it in somewhere.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 06:58 PM

tap the frets with a hammer just enough to knock any raised frets back in just incase before you do any fretwork other than polishing.

i've never heard of polishing frets fixing chokepoints or fretwork though..

if the hammer doesn't work, then they're probably unlevel frets. you can adjust your setup to compensate by adding a little more height at the bridge, or get your frets levelled, and maybe have a flatter radius and ramping downwards going on from somewhere around the 14th, 15th fretish to stop chokes. the flatter radius will stop bend chokes..

it's important to note though, choking on a bend is normal, you can always set your high E saddle low enough to choke it on a high register bend if you have a radiused fretboard, because as you move the string over the middle of the fretboard it's getting higher, making a more angled line down to the saddle for the string, thus the next frets up get in the way. it is still possible to get low nonchoking action but may require fretwork.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki swordsman View Post
tap the frets with a hammer just enough to knock any raised frets back in just incase before you do any fretwork other than polishing.

i've never heard of polishing frets fixing chokepoints or fretwork though..

if the hammer doesn't work, then they're probably unlevel frets. you can adjust your setup to compensate by adding a little more height at the bridge, or get your frets levelled, and maybe have a flatter radius and ramping downwards going on from somewhere around the 14th, 15th fretish to stop chokes. the flatter radius will stop bend chokes..

it's important to note though, choking on a bend is normal, you can always set your high E saddle low enough to choke it on a high register bend if you have a radiused fretboard, because as you move the string over the middle of the fretboard it's getting higher, making a more angled line down to the saddle for the string, thus the next frets up get in the way. it is still possible to get low nonchoking action but may require fretwork.

Choking with bends on a radiused fretboard is neither normal or excusable, it means the guitar is improperly setup, check out some of dan erlewins books for reference points. I wouldnt suggest taking the hammer to the fretboard just yet either, as if you have a high fret its usually rather obvious by looking at the fret itself.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperfrommars1 View Post
I wouldnt suggest taking the hammer to the fretboard just yet either, as if you have a high fret its usually rather obvious by looking at the fret itself.
I really wouldn't suggest taking to any part of your guitar with a hammer at all, especially the frets, unless you know exactly what you are doing! You can reseat a loose fret with a light tap with a hammer (and in fact you should be using either a dead-blow hammer, or a hammer with a plastic or brass head so that it doesn't damage the fret surface in any case), but you can also push it further into the fretboard by tapping it too hard, which results in a fret lower than the surrounding frets - a problem which can only be remedied with a total fret level and recrown.

JS guitars have a fairly tight radius fingerboard compared to say a JEM or RG, as a result of this, as you bend a note, thhe string "climbs" up the fingerboard, putting it at an oblique angle to the frets, and eventually it "frets out" as it hits the next fret up (this is just simple conical geometry, nothing magical about it). There are a couple of possible reasons that this may have just surfaced on your guitar:

1) The truss rod needs tightening to straighten the neck a little
2) The end of the neck has developed a slight "kick" at the heel due to pressure from a shim under the end of the neck - requires a bit of fret levelling
3) There is/are some loose fret/s - not that uncommon on Ibanez guitars by the way - when I took my JEM VDY in for a fret level, my local genius luthier (it's true - he is!) said a fret level was a bit of a waste of time because most of the frets were falling out of the guitar (along with every other component - every screw on the guitar was loose!) - again, you can reseat a fret with some work and some ultra thin superglue, but seriously, this is luthier stuff unless you know exactly what you are doing, and by saving yourself fifty bucks in tech time you could completely screw up the fingerboard, resulting in a $400- $500 refret cure, which you probably don't want!
4) Almost anything else - without seeing the guitar, everyone here is guessing!

Cheers,

David.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 10:42 PM

Reviews: 18

Where's Rich???

Jimmy
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 10:51 PM
Vendor

Hiding! Shhhhh!

The frets aren't true enough for the action you have it set to. Either raise the action or have it attended to. I used to give lots of how to fret advice but it's all bad advice to give a noob [not saying you are or aren't, but if you haven't figured out it's the fretwork then most likely you are] and you can get it more out of whack than in screwing with it.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperfrommars1 View Post
Choking with bends on a radiused fretboard is neither normal or excusable, it means the guitar is improperly setup, check out some of dan erlewins books for reference points. I wouldnt suggest taking the hammer to the fretboard just yet either, as if you have a high fret its usually rather obvious by looking at the fret itself.
ok you didn't get it, cos that's what i was saying... it's 'normal' for the guitar to be able to do that unsetup or if you lower it enough to force the choke, that's what i meant as the guy sounded like he thought he might have a neck defect or something.

you guys are right about not hammering hard, good tip David on the material of the hammer too, i'm thinking you could wrap some material around it or a rubber cap...
i got the hammer tip from somewhere on Rich's site i'm pretty sure where he says he always taps the frets before fretwork, also to avoid fretwork if that's the only problem with a single note choke..
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki swordsman View Post
you guys are right about not hammering hard, good tip David on the material of the hammer too, i'm thinking you could wrap some material around it or a rubber cap...
i got the hammer tip from somewhere on Rich's site i'm pretty sure where he says he always taps the frets before fretwork, also to avoid fretwork if that's the only problem with a single note choke..
Just bought myself a plastic headed hammer from my local hardware lads - I'm doing a mercy refret for one of the guys from The Whitlams (probably only Aussues know them), and having seated the frets this weekend, I have to say that the plastic hammer head has resulted in the nicest looking refret I think I have ever done (before levelling and crowning that is - I'm kinda hoping I will get away with an absolute minimum of levelling and finishing as I have been doing this one for too long now, and it's a freebie for a friend) - so, strike yet another one up to Dan Erlewine from StewMac's website for more great advice!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 03:54 AM

cool, that's a great tip. nice gig doing techwork for the whitlams man!!

Tags
dan erlewine , fret level , ibanez guitars , truss rod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode