Calling out to any Americans who've shipped to the UK!!! - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 9
Calling out to any Americans who've shipped to the UK!!!

Right,

I bought a UV from a guy in the states and he's left it to me to chose how I want it shipped because I'm a bit fussy after something earlier this year.

I bought a JP6 earlier this year and the guy sent it out the day I paid for it, by USPS. He gave me the tracking number and for maybe three weeks after he sent it, it just sat in some warehouse in Brooklyn. I eventually received the guitar - ONE MONTH AFTER.

This isn't on, and I don't want to risk it happening again. Now the guy's in NC I think, so I'm guess it won't go through the crappy warehouse in Brooklyn like last time, but even so I don't want to risk it.

At the moment it looks like I'm gunna get him to send it FedEx Priority which takes about 4 days, but is $280. TBH I'd rather pay that and know that I'll see the guitar in this lifetime, but before I do so, does anyone here have any suggestions as to how I can get it here cheaper without waiting FOREVER?

Cheers, awesome Jemsiters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 03:21 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: Calling out to any Americans who've shipped to the UK!!!

you could use a 'matter transporter' like on star trek. or give the doctor a shout, jump in the 'TARDIS' travel back in time to collect it yesterday............maybe????? on a serious note I know how frustrating it is waiting for items to arrive by surface post (container ship) I had to wait about 6 or 7 weeks for a set of Dimarzio's to finish off a project I was doing. it drove me mental waiting.
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun111 View Post
Right,

I bought a UV from a guy in the states and he's left it to me to chose how I want it shipped because I'm a bit fussy after something earlier this year.

I bought a JP6 earlier this year and the guy sent it out the day I paid for it, by USPS. He gave me the tracking number and for maybe three weeks after he sent it, it just sat in some warehouse in Brooklyn. I eventually received the guitar - ONE MONTH AFTER.

This isn't on, and I don't want to risk it happening again. Now the guy's in NC I think, so I'm guess it won't go through the crappy warehouse in Brooklyn like last time, but even so I don't want to risk it.

At the moment it looks like I'm gunna get him to send it FedEx Priority which takes about 4 days, but is $280. TBH I'd rather pay that and know that I'll see the guitar in this lifetime, but before I do so, does anyone here have any suggestions as to how I can get it here cheaper without waiting FOREVER?

Cheers, awesome Jemsiters.
I have always bought from the US to here, Ireland, by the USPS. I think it is fine and i have never had any problems with that method. I hear some people complaining about the USPS who live in the US, but it works fine for me. $280 is expensive and you will have your UK tax to pay too. USPS gets a guitar from the US to me in an average of 2 weeks.
post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 09:12 PM
NSR

Although not a direct response to your thread request, I can honestly say that I've never had a problem with USPS. It may be that you were just unlucky in that instance. My past three shipments sent via USPS took 12 days, 17 days and 9 days respectively and arrived without incident. The shipment that took 17 days was shipped before xmas and therefore included 3 days of bank holidays and no doubt got caught up in the xmas post. Do consider though, that you will pay customs and VAT (approx £22 per £100 value) on the shipping and insurance costs combined with the declared value of your purchase. How they can do this in respect to shipping is quite honestly beyond me.

This site is good for determining how much you can expect to pay inclusive of taxes, which may help you weigh up your choices in shipping: http://www.dutycalculator.com/calculation
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 06:56 PM

Reviews: 6

Im an importer by trade and i think it stinks that you have to pay Duty and VAT on second hand items, but, basically anything that comes into the UK, with a few exceptions, gets hammered with taxes. There are a few tricks though, like `warranty repaired item`, `competition prize` .etc etc

Long live the queen & and her glorious government....
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 10:24 AM

Reviews: 39

I've never shipped/ordered a guitar internationally, but on our Mesa/Boogie forum we do it from time to time and customs sucks because they have to check and make sure it's not a bomb, etc which takes several extra days on each end.

Rich also has a couple of horror stories from warehouses and how they get treated (so do the Mesa guys (broken transformers, tubes, etc...) That's why insurance is a big must these days! (There's some of that extra cash fee.)

Hope your next transaction is quicker and faster! Good luck!
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 01:29 PM

USPS, International Priority is the way to go in my opinion. Maybe your Brooklyn package wasn't sent as International Priority?
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 05:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSR View Post
Although not a direct response to your thread request, I can honestly say that I've never had a problem with USPS. It may be that you were just unlucky in that instance. My past three shipments sent via USPS took 12 days, 17 days and 9 days respectively and arrived without incident. The shipment that took 17 days was shipped before xmas and therefore included 3 days of bank holidays and no doubt got caught up in the xmas post. Do consider though, that you will pay customs and VAT (approx £22 per £100 value) on the shipping and insurance costs combined with the declared value of your purchase. How they can do this in respect to shipping is quite honestly beyond me.

This site is good for determining how much you can expect to pay inclusive of taxes, which may help you weigh up your choices in shipping: http://www.dutycalculator.com/calculation
£22 per £100 the greedy bxxxxxds.so if you buy a guitar for £1000 they charge £220,thats criminal
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 10:31 AM

Reviews: 57

If you ship via Fedex, you are going to pay a lot more than just Duty/VAT .. you'll pay the Fedex brokerage fees as well, in addition to the base shipping charge. USPS International Priority all the way... I'd take that over Fedex/UPS/DHL any day, internationally.
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

I've gone USPS Priority. I just hope I don't regret this...

PS Gunna put a small value on the box too, provided they don't lose it, any damage they do I'm qualified to fix. Worth the risk I think.
post #11 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 05:04 PM
NSR

Fingers crossed for you
post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 05:29 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

USPS Int Priority is the best way to go. Never had any problems with them, after all--they're the federal gov't. UPS sucks, and I've had issues with FedEx--never USPS.

post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, you've given me a lot of confidence. I'm just writing off the JP6 incident as a one-off...

Apparently the guy's sending it in a big old box but the guitar itself is in a gig-bag not a hard-case, so I'm paranoid about that now!

Seriously though, thanks guys, I feel really good about this. It should ship out monday, we don't get many of them here but I'll do an NGD lol.
post #14 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 02:13 AM

Quote:
PS Gunna put a small value on the box too, provided they don't lose it, any damage they do I'm qualified to fix. Worth the risk I think.
Quote:
Apparently the guy's sending it in a big old box but the guitar itself is in a gig-bag not a hard-case, so I'm paranoid about that now!
Recipe for disaster if ever there was one...
post #15 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 02:20 AM
Vendor

I thought international priority didn't have any tracking?

Tags
guitar , international , shipping

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode