Can any "good" guitar tech setup a Jem correctly - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
JFT

Red face Can any "good" guitar tech setup a Jem correctly

Hey guys,

I guess it's a pretty dumb question but eh :P

I'm mostly worried about the trem adjustment, its height ,angle etcetera... Is there anything "special" about it compared to another Floyd that would throw off a "good" tech?

Ever since I got my 7VWH I learned to adjust it myself but I now deeply feel the need for a good setup (a few buzz here and there that I can't get rid of and other small thing).

I guess it's stupid but I'm scared of having it returned in a worse state that it is... Hence the question would any good tech, albeit not Ibanez specialized, set it up properly?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 01:35 PM

Re: Can any "good" guitar tech setup a Jem correctly

well, if I were to take it to a tech I would like them to have lots of experience with JEM's...
personally the only time I took my guitar to a tech he made a piss poor job of it and ive not taken my guitars to anyone since, I reckon if anyone's gonna f*ck it up then it might as well be me
if I cant pick up the info on Rich's site then I ask the question here !!!

thats a good question though !!
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 01:43 PM

It seems expensive to pay a tech to do something you can learn to do yourself given a little paitience.

Ben
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 02:01 PM

I don't think its a dumb question at all. Like the others have said though, I would just do it myself. Just take your time and do a little research here and at Rich's site. Make small adjustments and see how they sound and feel to you.
Best of luck.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 02:14 PM

BTW, can the buzz be heard through the amp ?
some of my guitars buzz like mad but as soon as you plug them in... sweet.
im not too worried unless the buzzin starts killin the sustain or artificial harmonics.
like Rich says, it aint rocket science !
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 02:15 PM

Setting up a guitar is a lot like adjusting a car's seat and side mirrors to your taste. What I, or your tech might like/need will likely be very different from your likes/needs.

It takes some time to get good at the little nuances, like being able to eye-ball neck relief and getting an overall feel for action (the broader meaning of "action" that is).

But it is definetly worth pursuing the art yourself, and you'll only get better at it with time. Other than hard stuff like re-frets, fret levels and nut work on my non-lockings, I never let a tech touch my guitars anymore. And if they do something like fretwork I tell them not to do anymore of a setup than necessary because I don't want to pay the $50 or so for something they are not going to do to my taste anyway.

Ryan
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 02:16 PM

yeah, im not too into taking my axes to techs any more. had a few returned in a worse state than when i took them in. like they said, do a bit of research, and just spend some time working it all out. trial and error and such
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 02:21 PM

do it yourself, at least you`ll learn a lot and you`ll have a lot of fun in the process.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 03:33 PM

Reviews: 10
Cool Re: Can any "good" guitar tech setup a Jem correctly

It think it's great that you learn to set up your guitar by yourself but make no mistake my friend a professional tech will do it better just for the simple reason he is more experienced, I don't understand why everyone so far is bashing techs like they didn't know what they were doing, that's a dumb way of thinking. There are good and bad techs out there just like in any other profession and you can't say they're all bad out of 1 or 2 bad experiences. You guys say on the one hand that techs are bad that is better to do it yourself yet you mention Rich's site for guidance and advice, I ask you what is he? is he not a Guitar tech in his own right? you guys need to get real and give unbiased advice. A setup by a good tech will leave your axe tuned like a Ferrari of course you have to do a bit of homework to find a good tech, investigate his reputation, you can also find out if they are certified techs, many of them can be certified to work on several brands and usually this certificates are displayed in the shop, the next thing you want to do is tell them what your guitar issues are (Good shops will usually ask you to play you guitar there so they can see what you are reffering to) then tell them what your setup expectations are, for ex:action, pickup height, frets etc... then
they will tell you upon inspection what they think the guitar needs and how they think they can correct the issue, then you leave you guitar for them to work on and viola!!! you see it wasn't so hard but difinitely you have to do your homework to find a good tech and you need to get involved in the repair process as I explained earlier it's not enough to just go to any Joe off the street that calls himself a tech and tell him: "can you kinda set this up man"
because then you'd get results like the ones our fellow Jemsiters had.
The key is also your satisfaction!!! I can't understand why people would pay a tech or accept an instrument back if it wasn't setup to your liking after all
you are paying for it so you deserve to be satisfied with the service or otherwise have them make it right for you, that's why when you pick your guitar up from the shop you play it right there and then infront of them (Good shops will usually have amps for you to try it out) then you'll really see if it was setup right or not and if there are issues you can tell them what they are and they'll try to make it right for you and tweak it to you liking.
This is the service I always receive when I go to Third Coast Guitar service my guitar shop, I've going to them for the last 12 years and I've built such good rapport with them that I don't need to explain to them anymore how I want my guitars set up they already know and I always get a 10 to 20% discount so it pays to have a good relationship with an acredited Guitar shop.

Last edited by OLIE_ROCKS_THE_80'S; 07-06-2006 at 03:58 PM.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 03:35 PM

The only problem I have is fret crowning I can do everything else
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 03:52 PM

hey OLIE... you live in the U.S, its a customer driven market..
I live in the U.K where if you dont like it you can f.ck off..!!

seriously man, I tried all that stuff and all you get here is someone going on the defensive and saying all the usual stuff like "thats my standard setup.. if you dont like it ... tough"
and I reply "the frets look like the fookin himalyas you clown" and he says blah blah blah...
perhaps I just got a bad tech.. anyway, its like taking your car to the garage, I dont do that anymore either cos
1. they charge a fookin fortune to have some snot nosed kid work on it a cover your seats in grease and chip you alloy wheels (then deny it)
2. its not rocket science (like guitars)

needless to say I paid for neither of those services (although I had to threaten violence or claims courts)
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 03:57 PM

Talking Re: Can any "good" guitar tech setup a Jem correctly

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisshredding
hey OLIE... you live in the U.S, its a customer driven market..
I live in the U.K where if you dont like it you can f.ck off..!!

seriously man, I tried all that stuff and all you get here is someone going on the defensive and saying all the usual stuff like "thats my standard setup.. if you dont like it ... tough"
and I reply "the frets look like the fookin himalyas you clown" and he says blah blah blah...
perhaps I just got a bad tech.. anyway, its like taking your car to the garage, I dont do that anymore either cos
1. they charge a fookin fortune to have some snot nosed kid work on it a cover your seats in grease and chip you alloy wheels (then deny it)
2. its not rocket science (like guitars)

needless to say I paid for neither of those services (although I had to threaten violence or claims courts)
I hear you mate but believe me I know there are good techs even in the UK,
that guy Max of Cottam Guitars seems to be a decent bloke, I'm sure he ain't the only one!
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLIE_ROCKS_THE_80'S
I hear you mate but believe me I know there are good techs even in the UK,
that guy Max of Cottam Guitars seems to be a decent bloke, I'm sure he ain't the only one!
It's true OLIE, but good techs are so few and far between round here that it makes it essential that you learn how to service your own guitar
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 04:20 PM

Smile Re: Can any "good" guitar tech setup a Jem correctly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggy
It's true OLIE, but good techs are so few and far between round here that it makes it essential that you learn how to service your own guitar
I definitely agree that is essential to learn to service your own axes, don't get me wrong I don't run to my guitar shop for a broken string so to speak, but usually after I played a guitar quite a bit for a while and I've tweaked it a few times sometimes I find I can't correct the issues anymore and that usually has to do with fret issues or perhaps other things I couldn't correct after screwing around with it for hrs!!! that's when I take a trip to the shop and let them deal with it! I feel blessed that I found a great and honest shop that resolves my guitar issues promptly and to my satisfaction!!!
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
JFT

Thanks for the answers guys. Though I'd really like someone to answer one question specifically: is there anything "special" in the setup of the lo-pro edge compared to any typical Floyd that could cause a good but non-ibanez Tech to screw up the setup(like angle)? That's really the crux of my worry.

I've been setting up my Jem ever since I got her 4 years ago using the wisdom contained in the setup section here on Jemsite. On the other hand I've never had it "setup" by a pro and I'd really like to get rid of those buzzes without jacking the action too high like it seems I have to do at the moment. (My buzzing issues are mostly from fret 12-24)

Thanks again for any input.

(edited for typos :P)

Tags
cottam guitars , fret level , guitar shop , guitar tech , neck relief , pickup height , pro edge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode