Can this fretboard be saved? - need advice for possible purc - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2001, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 14
Can this fretboard be saved? - need advice for possible purc

Please give me some advice and honest opinions. I'm hot on the trail for a UV777GR. Right now there are 2 listed on E-bay. Both aren't in great shape.

I know I'm risking losing out on both guitars by telling you'all about them, but I figure you guys and gals always look there anyway.

One is listed with the Ibanez and universe paint sanded off the headstock, pitting of the bridge and neckplate, and the wrong volume/tone/ 5way knobs. What is this one really worth?

THe other looks ok. Just a ding next to the 1/4" input, but the neck is dirty as hell, or is that fret ware? Give me your honest opinions. Is that wear or dirt, can that neck be cleaned and should I go with some Lighter fluid and what is this one really worth?

Thanks so much. I'm not sure if this kind of post is allowed. If it isn't, I'm sorry bout that...

I would hope it is because I sure could use some help from the experts on these guitars!

Thanks...

Robbie

PS have fun at Jemfest everyone... I hope to be there next year......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2001, 03:19 PM

Can this fretboard be saved?

The maple necks do clean up well generally with Naptha or steel wool. *It depends on how long the marks have been there though!!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2001, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

THanks.... does anybody have any other replies? I see alot of people reading my post, not too many replies.

I would just like an IYHO.....

perhaps I should post the links..

Just go to Ebay and search for Ibanez Universe

The 2 UV777GRs will show up!

I got my money in the bank! (is that an Anthrax lyric?)

just need to know if I'm wasting my money on the one with the name sanded off and the wrong knobs:

and if the one with the dirty fretboard can be cleaned by me.

thank all!

rJ
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2001, 07:28 PM

Reviews: 12

Yep, both UV777GR's are not in the best conditions to be considered a "collectible". I personally think you're better off getting the cheaper one. If possible, you can always ask the guy if he has the original yellow knobs and pink switch tip (if you still want them that is). The buy it now price on it is really decent for its condition, otherwise, it's still a great guitar.
The UV777GR i got had a really dirty neck from the 12th fret to the 17th fret. So I decided to scallop the 16th fret to the 24th fret since i was sanding the dirt out anyhow hahaa
Otherwise, I used a steel wool to take off the gunk on the remaining dirty frets.

P.S.
I still don't understand why these people would take out the Ibanez/Universe logos

Reg
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2001, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

thanks, Judas! (feel weird saying that ala Last Temptation of Christ)

I'm leaning more toward the cheaper one and perhaps having a friend put an eye of Horan or Ra on the headstock... just to put something symbolic in place of the removed logos.

I'm not sure either, why someone would remove the logo off the headstock. Perhaps someone was pissed at Ibanez (bad for the next owner.. who knows what they did to the poor thing), perhaps they just didn't want to represent a big company of sorts ala Rage against...

Who knows...

I'll more than likely buy the cheaper one....
Neck looks better.. pitting looks bad, but i want the maple neck... already have a rosewood RG7...

ohh maple!! *

rJ
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2001, 08:12 PM

hey, as a last resource, try using a wet sand paper and some wd40. sounds crazy, aye... it will work alot better than the naptha and steel wool, make sure if you try the steel wool to not let the frays get near the p/ups, start wity 0000 and try 000. then the naptha stuff. the sand paper and wd40 will not hurt the guitar at all. make sure you use a very light grit, 600 min.

also goodfor the bridge is to take it off and drop it in a can with wd40 and let it sit, after it has had time to work in take a wire brush to clean it. resoak and repeat. use Q tips to get in those hard areas and get a small tooth brush for regular maintenance

peace and God Bless

scott
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2001, 09:12 PM

Reviews: 12

rJ, there's an "ibanez universe" font somewhere around here on jemsite where you can pretty much print it out from your computer and "paint it" on the missing headstock logos.
good luck getting it as it will be well worth it

Reg
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 10:43 AM

Time for shamless plug

I did the Ibanez Universe true type font (windows), the file is on the ftp area.

put the file on a disk, take it to a local print shop, ask them to print on a vinyl sticker and voíla...

when you type "A" it shows the "checkmark" the Ibanez logo and the universe logo all together

good luck on the new purchase and remember : Pics :biggrin:

c-ya
gilberto
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Thanks IBZR:

I'm gonna do just that for the headstock.

I went ahead and bought the incorrect cheaper UV777GR.

Not sure what to do with those white volume/tone knobs. I heard it's next to impossible to replace the yellow knobs for the UVGR. Perhaps I'll throw the knobs into the yellow egg-dye next easter... Or maybe a highlighter pen. Black, If I can't find the correct yellow knobs, would look better than white...

Thanks for the tips and as soon as I get it where I want it, I'll post some piccies!

Robbie
http://www.superuserband.com

Tags
maple neck , maple necks , steel wool

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode