Can I get some opinions here? - Need some opinions on AANJ v - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2001, 04:45 AM Thread Starter

Can I get some opinions here? - Need some opinions on AANJ v

Hey guys,
Just wanted to say greeting to everyone, first of all, and wanted to get some opinions for reference here. *I just wondered (and I already have Rich's opinion on this from emailing him, but wanted some more) if anyone would care to give me their opinions on the pros and cons of the AANJ vs. old-style heels? *Would it be a factor in deciding which JEM to buy? *I am torn between the 77FP and the 7VWH, and just want some other people's opinions. *Keep in mind that I am used to playing a Gibson Les Paul, as well....thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2001, 06:10 AM

Can I get some opinions here?

Hi,
I now have an AANJ JEM (7dbk), and an Old-style heel (my custom Bad Horsie). *I honestly don't feel that much of a diffrence between the two. I suppose the AANJ is a little better for the high frets, but the lack of an AANJ wouldn't stop me to get me a cool axe.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2001, 06:50 AM

I agree with Jeroenn. I have a DNA (AANJ) and an old-style 77FP. The neck profile is different, and that to me makes the biggest difference. I actually prefer the 77FP neck at present. The AANJ is only critical when yoy move yor hand to cover maybe the top 6 frets (if you have big hands like me).
The 77FP is a great guitar.

Guy
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2001, 10:21 AM

I own an FP and a Jem90ham as well as a UV777BK which does have an AANJ, I love the tone and neck profile of the FP and the UV, the playability and tone of the FP is perfect IMHO!

But the absence of the AANJ does make things a little difficult when you do those squeely sliding glissandos to the high E on the 24th fret!

*Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!*

But after some practice I do get it...after some practice and bumps on my left hand...just kidding!

My advice is to go try out both guitars, play them and see for yourself, also pay careful attention to the fact that they are both very different guitars in their own special traits....

Different pickups (Evos Vs. PAF Pros), fingerboard wood (Ebony Vs. Rosewood) , body wood (Alder Vs. Basswood), AANJ Vs. Old style heel joint, neck profiles are different as well.

Choices Choices Choices!

Chris.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2001, 11:44 AM

I've got several examples of both. *I suppose if I sit down and try each joint, the AANJ would be more comfortable. *But if I'm actually playing, and getting into it, I don't notice what type of heel I have to tell you the truth.

Unless if the guitar is an S series, in which case there is hardly no joint at all on the AANJ models because it's so thin to begin with. *There is a noticable difference on those models to me.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2001, 11:57 AM

It is not a huge deal in my opinion, but if the tiebreaker is the joint, take the AANJ-equipped one.

(Edited by cmartin at 10:57 am on July 26, 2001)
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2001, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Hey guys, thanks for the info! *Of course, I like prefer ebony to rosewood on fretboards (or maple over everything...;-)), but I can probably score a nice FP for about half what I would pay for a 7VWH so I will probably check that out....thanks for the info people!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2001, 04:57 PM

I found that I love both my '90 and my FP, but I like the neck of the FP more than the wizard neck on the '90. The '90 however have AANJ and Evolution pups, so to me the answer is a VWH (if I could afford it).

Then again I like rosewood better than ebony so I might wait and see if there's a new JEM in the future featuring all of what I like.

I say try both guitars out extensively and I'm sure what's best for you will be obvious.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2001, 08:05 PM

Reviews: 12

On a 6 string, the Old style Heel joint doesn't make THAT much of a difference as opposed to an AANJ. On a 7 string however, it CAN make a difference.
I do have small hands (compared to Vai's handprint) but hitting the upper frets (over the metal plating) can be a problem for certain people. I've tried a UV777BK at GC a few times and the AANJ eliminated that problem; thus, making it the ideal 7 string (though one can debate this on another topic).
Also, the metal plating can add extra weight to the guitar too.
Either way, I found scalloping an Old Style neck can make the upper frets much easier to play.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2001, 10:20 PM

It only makes a difference if you play in the upper 4-6 frets. *If you do a lot of high solo work, you will prefer the AANJ. *I wouldn't let the neck joint be the deciding factor between a 7VWH and 77FP, there are certainly other differences listed above. *-Andy
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-27-2001, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies guys,
I really prefer maple to anything, but rosewood (properly oiled of course), is pretty good too....I am just feeling the need to join the crowd with a faster playing guitar with a nice Floyd, so I figured any JEM was the way to go, or any UV for that matter....I have huge hands, so I doubt that reaching over on frets will be much of a problem.....so I guess I wouldn't notice a whole lot of trouble with the old style neck joint? *Right? *In theory at least? *I am a big 7VWH lover, overall, but like I said, if I can score a cheaper 77FP (my second fave), I have to do what I have to do....thanks again guys! *Keep giving me opinions if you have em!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-27-2001, 01:31 AM

Strange...

I'm of a different opinion to the other guys. My personal preference is for an AANJ. I would have bought the VWH over the FP because of it.

I disagree with the 7 string, 6 string comment. I believe it does make a difference, a big difference even on a 6 string.

But again, this is just my personal preference. With the AANJ for me my hand "feels" more at home when I'm playing in the upper register. Nothing in the way you know. Whereas if you've got a big block-o-heel there...

If you can, just play both before you settle dude. My personal preference is for high output pickups and an AANJ. (paf's are too melow, + there's that big block-o-heel)

you never know how much you'll like something till you try it. :mc:
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-27-2001, 05:29 AM Thread Starter

Also wanted to ask all the "Vai-handed" people on the forum, like myself, who have huge hands.....what about the UV777BK's neck? *What's the verdict.....I have heard a little more difficult to play, but is it really that much of a problem if you have bigger hands?
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-27-2001, 11:04 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Quote:
if anyone would care to give me their opinions on the pros and cons of the AANJ vs. old-style heels?
There are no drawbacks of the AANJ. There might be a con of a guitar with the AANJ but take two like guitars (same price, neck profile, hardware, color, PUs, etc) one with the AANJ and one with the old-heel and i'm sure the AANJ version would be taken most of the time.

Quote:
*Would it be a factor in deciding which JEM to buy?
For me it is a consideration and important. The old heel seems to always get in the way (whereas the AANJ seems almost invisible) for me personally when playing above fret-15. You need to personally decide how important it is to you and if a guitar without the AANJ will hinder you or not. Obviously Vai had no troubles for years up to PAW with the old neck though.

Quote:
*I am torn between the 77FP and the 7VWH, and just want some other people's opinions. *Keep in mind that I am used to playing a Gibson Les Paul, as well....thanks guys.
The FP vs VWH comparison is far more than AANJ. But if that is your deciding factor, choosing should be easy.

Quote:
Also wanted to ask all the "Vai-handed" people on the forum, like myself, who have huge hands.....what about the UV777BK's neck? *What's the verdict
I love the UV777BK neck and you should be able to test ride one at a local store for comparison. I think the AANJ really improves the UV, minor neck profile changes aside... glen

Tags
fingerboard wood , gibson les paul , high frets , high output pickups , les paul , neck joint , output pickup , paf pro , paf pros , playing guitar , upper fret , upper frets

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode