Cant be using a backstop on this "FLO" - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Cant be using a backstop on this "FLO"

watch at 5:14 on. The way he is hitting the tremolo arm and creating that effect. Theres no way he is using a backstop because I just installed one and it gets rid of the flutter PLUS you can't hit it hard enough to create this effect he's getting on that part of the song

I also have another JEM without the backstop and I can play this just like he's doing

Thoughts?

Maybe he loosens it for this song? Thats possible.

Just wondering your thoughts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KUSkGeaUPU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 03:17 PM

Reviews: 3
Re: Cant be using a backstop on this "FLO"

He uses only one shaft, the one on the treble side, and the shaft is not in contact with the trem block, just 1-2 mm away. Thus, he maintains the flutter but can hit the bar backwards to rise the pitch.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

The treble side? You mean the side where the G,B & high E are?

I was thinking that he maybe only used one shaft. I saw a pic that he showed his "EVO" and when looking at it, the shaft he was using was on the bass side (left) touching the block where the E,A & D strings are.

Is this what you mean? If you're looking at the back of the guitar the backstops shaft that is on the right is the treble and the left side is the bass

Right?

And if so, you're saying that the shaft he uses is the one on the right (treble) but its NOT touching?

And the other shaft is WAY far away so it never touches?

Sorry, I just want to fully understand you and try and set mine up like what you're describing

Thanks so much for the help!
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 03:19 PM

Thomas shows you everything ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py9lA0xnF4k
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by loran333 View Post
Thomas shows you everything ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py9lA0xnF4k
WOW! thanks man!

Tags
backstop technique

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode