Changing neck pickup in JS1000 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 01:37 AM Thread Starter

Changing neck pickup in JS1000

I have a Gigson faded SG (the cheap SG) with 57classics and i like the neck pickup better than JS1000. The JS is my favorite to play but the neck pu is not for me or maybe it is my amp (Mesa LoneStar) of course the bridge pu is perfect.

What do you think of having a chrome 57 classic in a JS1000? The difference is the 57 is a killer blues pu whereas the JS neck pu is more bassy 'tubular' sounding. Another option is to put JS1200 neck pu in, but i already have the 57 and love it.

Some question:

Would there be a big volume difference when switching from bridge to neck? Right now switching does not change volume at all just of course the sound changes.

Would it look stupid, any pics with JS1000 and chrome neck pu?

If i had it pro installed would it diminish the value even if i put the original back in if i sold it (dont see that happening)?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 01:42 PM

Re: Changing neck pickup in JS1000

I don't think it would look stupid, but the different wood type of the SG and JS may mean that the tone you like from the SG may not transfer to the JS when you switch pickups.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moebius View Post
I don't think it would look stupid, but the different wood type of the SG and JS may mean that the tone you like from the SG may not transfer to the JS when you switch pickups.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Although the SG's pups may sound awesome in the SG, they might sound a little bit different in the JS. I'm not the most knowledgeable on that though, I'm sure some other forum members could tell you if it would be better or not.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 05:04 PM

I think you can pretty well guarantee it will sound somewhat different in a basswood JS, but you aren't going to know how well you like it until you try. Your opinion is the only one that matters as far as the sound/look on your guitar. Give it a try and see -- you can always change it again.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becksley View Post
Would it look stupid, any pics with JS1000 and chrome neck pu?
Absolutley no! Here's my btb with chrome pups

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Nice pic. It is worth a shot, as far as volume, any way to judge by looking at the specs of each pickup?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 12:43 PM

You can always remove the cover on the gibson pup... just as long as its not zebra
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 06:43 AM

OT, but hey Guri, where would one be able to get one of those chrome cliplocks?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 04:45 PM

im pretty divided on this...but im in the same area as you are...my FRED is great.. but my PAF pro is a bit on the bassy side for me...it messes the sound up and makes it sound like mud
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 01:05 PM

im seriously considering a new neck pu on my js1200. im leaning towards a pearly gates, but not sure
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 01:26 PM

Reviews: 18

Ok guys, since this is a p/u question, I might just ask a question for mine as well in an effort to save space and not open another thread about the same thing....

So, I've got a stock set of pups on my JS1000 and I'm sort of annoyed at how friggin sensitive the pickups are. I mean, don't get me wrong, I like their sound but, if I have the volume at full blast, the second I touch the guitar or tap the neck with my finger or use the coil tap or anything the pickups will pick up everything.

Now, is this normal or do you guys think that the previous owner might have adjusted the pole pieces and made the pickups so sensitive? (It would be weird because both of them have the same issue).

Any thoughts? Do you all think I should just lower the pickups to solve the problem?

Jimmy
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 04:50 PM
Banned

Make sure the neck is straight as possible, then adjust the string height. Once the guitar is setup properly, finally adjust the height of the pickups.

Lower the neck pickup as low as it will go without actually removing the screws. Once the neck pickup is taken out of the scenario, raise the bridge pickup to the point that the pole pieces are touching the strings.

On a clean channel, with lots of volume, play the low E string somewhere in the higher register, the 15th fret is sufficient. Listen for the wolf tone, and then adjust the pickup height until this wolf tone is no longer apparent.

Repeat the process to the the treble side of the pickup, and then finally the neck and other pickups. You'll more than likely find that the neck pickup is set lower than what you would have assumed to be correct, this is fine.

In the neck position, comparing my js1200's PAF Joe, which is flush with the pickup housing, my rg570's PAF Pro is set below the pickup housing on the low E. With the string height, neck, and pickup height being adjusted properly, you will find that both the PAF Pro and PAF Joe have more than enough..."tubular" sound.

If your pickup is sounding muddy, it's quite possible you either have a poor setup, or your pickup is adjusted too close to the strings. I had the same complaint about these pickups until I had set my guitar's neck as straight as possible, with no buzz within the lower register...considering that there are no issues with fretwear there should hardly be ANY relief, string height to 2mm on the low E, 1.8mm on the High E, and finally having adjusted the pickup height as previously mentioned.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 08:47 AM

Smile Re: Changing neck pickup in JS1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLamer View Post
Make sure the neck is straight as possible, then adjust the string height. Once the guitar is setup properly, finally adjust the height of the pickups.
Personally, I think this is irrelevant, as the issue isn't with the setup and only pertains to the pickups.

Quote:
Lower the neck pickup as low as it will go without actually removing the screws. Once the neck pickup is taken out of the scenario, raise the bridge pickup to the point that the pole pieces are touching the strings.

On a clean channel, with lots of volume, play the low E string somewhere in the higher register, the 15th fret is sufficient. Listen for the wolf tone, and then adjust the pickup height until this wolf tone is no longer apparent.

Repeat the process to the the treble side of the pickup, and then finally the neck and other pickups. You'll more than likely find that the neck pickup is set lower than what you would have assumed to be correct, this is fine.
I wasn't asking for setup help, i was merely asking on opinions of whether or not the pickups should be lowered to mitigate the sensitivity problem.

Quote:
In the neck position, comparing my js1200's PAF Joe, which is flush with the pickup housing, my rg570's PAF Pro is set below the pickup housing on the low E. With the string height, neck, and pickup height being adjusted properly, you will find that both the PAF Pro and PAF Joe have more than enough..."tubular" sound.
Good point

Quote:
If your pickup is sounding muddy, it's quite possible you either have a poor setup, or your pickup is adjusted too close to the strings. I had the same complaint about these pickups until I had set my guitar's neck as straight as possible, with no buzz within the lower register...considering that there are no issues with fretwear there should hardly be ANY relief, string height to 2mm on the low E, 1.8mm on the High E, and finally having adjusted the pickup height as previously mentioned.
Again, setup on this guitar has never been an issue and I'm not trying to get stupid low action. The pickups certainly don't sound muddy and all they are is extremely sensitive. If I play the guitar on a clean channel or clean patch, there is no problem, this only occurs with distortion.

Jimmy
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 04:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post
Personally, I think this is irrelevant, as the issue isn't with the setup and only pertains to the pickups.

I wasn't asking for setup help, i was merely asking on opinions of whether or not the pickups should be lowered to mitigate the sensitivity problem.

Jimmy
Jimmy, my previous post was not only directed to yourself.

imo, pickup height is part of a setup.
From your previous statement, it appears as if you have narrowed the problem down yourself, although I'm leaning towards your issue being caused by bad technique/grounding issue/way too much freakin' gain.

Last edited by DarthLamer; 01-09-2008 at 02:26 PM.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLamer View Post
Jimmy, my previous post was not only directed to yourself.

imo, pickup height is part of a setup.
From your previous statement, it appears as if you have narrowed the problem down yourself, although I'm leaning towards your issue being caused by bad technique/grounding issue/way too much freakin' gain.
It's so amusing when people assume without knowing all the facts.

Jimmy

Tags
bridge pickup , coil tap , locking stud , locking studs , neck pickup , neck position , paf joe , paf pro , pickup height , string tension , string tension charts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode