Charvel to Jem - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Charvel to Jem

Hi All,
New to this site - but there seems to be a lot of good people on this forum and I would value your opinion.
I currently have a Charvel Fusion Custom which I have started to play again after a 20 year gap (long story) and I am thinking of changing to a Jem.
The main reasons to change are:
I want something different
Massive fan of Vai
Jems look cool

I will have to drive miles to try a Jem - so before I do:
how will it play compared to the Charvel
How much would the Charvel be worth these days - you just don't see them on ebay etc

Any comments please - much appreciated
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 06:18 PM

Reviews: 10
Re: Charvel to Jem

Hey Dave, welcome to Jemsite! I've never owned a Charvel and i don't know much about them so I'm sure someone will know more than I do... I just thought I would say hi and welcome =) My only experience with a Charvel was when I tried a new one in a music store once and the neck felt closer to a more traditional Strat neck shape, but faster feeling, whereas I do own a 2004 Jem7vwh and I would say that the neck on my Jem is slimmer and flatter than on the Charvel I tried. That probably isn't much help... anyhow, enjoy the site - lots of cool guitar folk on here =)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the welcome - cheers
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 08:39 PM

Reviews: 6

well...the earlier jem neck is really very similar to the old strathead charvels that i used (not too familiar with the newer jems)...so the transition was effortless for me...i've only played one fusion and it had a nice slim neck...pretty ibanez-like but more like an rg than a jem (the jem has a slightly rounder backshape)...as for the big difference?...the fusion is a 24 2/4" scale where the jem is 25 1/2" so that will be the main difference you notice...but i believe they're still similar enough that i don't believe it will give you any issues whatsoever...d.m.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

OK cheers appreciate that - in terms of the PU's the charvel has Jackson branded HB's. How do they compare with the Evo's
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2014, 01:12 AM

Reviews: 6

i never used the jackson pickups as i didn't like them...evos are cool but a tad bright for my taste...these days i use gravity storms and tone zones but i have heard good things about evo2's...pickups are a very personal taste...that being said i think the evos sound quite a bit better than pretty much any jackson pickup...d.m.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2014, 02:19 AM

Reviews: 2

The main thing I think you'll notice is a huge improvement in tuning stability over the JT-590 that's in your Fusion. I could never figure out why they kept that trem around for so long. It's Schaller made in the same factory as the OFR's but it has a zinc baseplate- not steel. The knife edges (inserts just like an OE/LP) are not hardened to the same degree as those in the OFR, early models had the studs screwed directly into the body wood, and (worst of all) the intonation bolts were screwed directly into the zinc baseplate..... they stripped out all the time. I think later models finally got a steel threaded plate (ala Edge/LP) on the underside of the baseplate.....that should have been there from day 1.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 03:21 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for that - I agree, 2 of my intonation bolts are stripped out - I'm going to have to take the whole thing apart to get them out now.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 03:26 PM

Fusion is shorter-scale but it is extremely comfortable if you're familler with Gibsons.

Tags
new gem enquiry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode