Ibanez JEM Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Check this out (frets) - tell me what you think

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  jemsite 
#1 ·
 I was surfing the web about a week ago and was looking for info on refretting a guitar. I have an old  junker, and thought it may be fun to try refretting it myself. Anyways, I did learn some cool, cool, stuff.
This one guy claimed that 99.9% of guitars came from the factory with undressed frets and that the problem causes guitar strings to buzz out sooner in bends and to intonate less accurately, and forces the string height to be higher to eleminate minor buzz.
I sincerly wish I bookmarked the site to give to you guys.
Anyways, The site went on to explain that the crown of a fret should only be 0.02   There where alot of photos and logical explanations to how it makes a very real difference and the problems with wide frets. blah blah.......
TO THE POINT !!
I was inspired. I decided to go to my local fret man with my FP. I said, "Steve, i want you to crown my frets to 0.02". He said i was retarded. He said my frets were fine and barely worn and that my action is already lower than it should be. blah blah...... I insisted , Just DO IT please!!! He reluctantly agreed. I got it back and whoa.........  All that minor little buzz. Gone.  I tighted the truss a 1/4 turn. Action dropped down some more. CHECK... no buzz. These frets look kinda funny now, but i cannot not believe how well it plays. OH MY GOD. is all i can say.
distance between the high E and fret 24.... best i can rougthly tell with these feeler gauges is somewhere between 0.7 and 0.8 mm. And i could of gone alittle lower...mabey.
In the end i'm gonna raise these strings higher, cause its so low i am having trouble compensating for the change in touch.
I am pleased. Did any of you folks do this to your guitars?
Chadwick

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.