Choice I have trouble making. - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Choice I have trouble making.

Hello everyone! There are 2 different people selling used JEMs close to where I live and I have some problems deciding so I just want to hear what you guys would do in my stead.

**They are pretty close to my house but I haven't seen/tried them in person yet but I could if the schedule fits with theirs.

1st- Used '99 JEM 7VWH, ebony fretboard and Lo-Pro bridge, apparently has a few dings here and there (haven't seen pictures of those) but is in really good condition. The seller asks 2000$CAN.Guitar never had a setup by a luthier. Comes with the a hardshell case. Negociable.

2nd- Used '03 JEM 7VSBL, rosewood fretboard with Edge Pro bridge (probably without locking studs). It has 2 paint chips (I have seen the pictures). It was recently tuned-up by a luthier and seller asks 1700$CAN. No mentions of a case or if its negociable or not.

Think with the mind of someone who doesn't have a single JEM yet.

Thanks jemsiters!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 10:16 AM

Re: Choice I have trouble making.

I would check out the one with the lo-pro and the ebony board. Why a Jem anyway lots of other nice Ibanez guitars for way cheaper? Like : RG 3120 Rg 570,550,560,565,750,760,770 the USAC graphic guitars. Good Luck finding what works for you!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Thanks!

Simple, I always wanted one
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 10:34 AM

Personally I would choose the VWH and try and haggle the guy over the price. You can get a brand new VWH for $2500 at L&M.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 12:27 PM

I would go for the VWH simply because of the woods and the loPro.

Ebony board, alder body, its a great combo and something different than that same old basswood rosewood ibanez story.

Just play m both ,your hands and ears are your judge( ok,...and your wallet ofcourse).

Good luck!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 01:01 PM

Reviews: 2

I would keep an eye out for an '02 VSBL myself. It had the Lo-Pro and I think an ebony board too.

If you can haggle down the VWH significantly (like $1500-$1600) It might be a good deal, but there are usually very good to mint condition VWH's on the bay for better prices than $2000
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

That's true, but at least I have the option to go see it myself whereas with ebay, its not always possible. If I was buying online, I'd go Rich's way.

I actually have to buy a few parts from him now that I think about it.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 01:16 PM

LOL.... problem solved!!!! It doesn't look like he has any VWH's in his used stock now, but it's probably worth giving him a call anyway.......

It looks like the last '02 Lo-Pro/Ebony VWH he sold was in excellent+ condition and went for $1900....seems like a monster deal to me!!!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

That's the thing, I saw these ads online to go pick it up in person and pay cash. I still haven't made up my mind yet.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 01:28 PM

Why don't you just look at them both! Seems kinda obvious why the false choice?
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 01:29 PM

I totally understand, and there's no harm in going to look.... just don't bring your checkbook with you........ it's to tempting to "buy right now" before your absolutely positive that your making your best decision.........

Don't forget that Rich is THE source for Jem's. If he say's it's in Very good condition, that equates to exceptional for us regular guy's..... He's got an eagle eye and is VERY critical of flaws/imperfections.... the kind of stuff we can't even see!!!!
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

I am leaning towards the 7vwh to be honest since it has the lo-pro. I'll schedule an evening so I can go try it out and he also wants to try my js1000 so two birds one stone.

I do like the look of the 7vsbl but the edge pro bridge bugs me (I tried many in a store I used to teach at) and the price is ok but I don,t know.

I think I'll stick with the 7vwh as a the sole contender for a hopefully soon JEM purchase.

Thanks guys, you were great help.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 02:29 PM

I say go play them both since they are local to you, nothing like hands on time to evaluate a guitar. Things like the trem can be changed out pretty easily in the grand scheme of things. To me the neck is the most important aspect of these guitars, as the rest of the differences are cosmetic or very minor structural changes that have little to no effect on the sound and playability of the instrument. You will hear a more drastic change with a pup swap than wood species.
DISCLAIMER: I am not stating that wood has no effect on tone, just that with the construction of this type of guitar, the wood species has less to do with what you hear than the electronics package.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musikron View Post
I say go play them both since they are local to you, nothing like hands on time to evaluate a guitar. Things like the trem can be changed out pretty easily in the grand scheme of things. To me the neck is the most important aspect of these guitars, as the rest of the differences are cosmetic or very minor structural changes that have little to no effect on the sound and playability of the instrument. You will hear a more drastic change with a pup swap than wood species.
DISCLAIMER: I am not stating that wood has no effect on tone, just that with the construction of this type of guitar, the wood species has less to do with what you hear than the electronics package.
How sad (but absolutely necessary if you don't want to get flamed!!) that we have to make these disclaimers now a days....lol
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 02:50 PM

I think that the 7vwh is the way to go. I had never played a guitar with a ebony fretboard until recently, and I want them on all my guitars now. Plus, there really is a difference between alder and basswood. The alder body seems to be a really good match for the high output pick-ups like the EVO's.

Tags
7vsbl , 7vwh , jem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode