Chrome JS1000? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 05:17 AM Thread Starter

Chrome JS1000?

I was reading the August 2002 Guitar World today, which features a Satriani interview. He is holding a Chrome JS in the pictures which is different from the usual ChromeBoy he uses. This one has a black headstock, Chrome body, Chrome BAR on the Edge instead of a black one and also having Chrome pickup covers like the Jem10.

He mentioned that he used a chrome JS1000 to record his new record:
Quote:
But I bought a compilation of Santo and Johnny's greatest hits, learned the song and made a recording of it using my Ibanez JS-1000---the chrome guitar---right into the Origin mic pre and direct to Pro Tools.
I wonder this is just his new Ibanez custom or there is a chrome Js1000 coming? (won't this affect the collectors's value of JS10?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 05:24 AM
Vendor

There is not another issue of chrome JS coming. I had heard he had requested a couple more wood chromes, and Ibanez was in the process of creating him some. I don't know if they went the chrome route or nickel route, but I will try to find out if the whole story is true I'm pretty sure he didn't have these when he was recording, and not sure he even has them now. He was probably just referring to the 1000 "line" as fewer and fewer people even know what a JS2 is. In the past he's always refferend to them as his chrome prototypes.
[edit] That black head chrome has been spotted off an on for a couple years now. He had it on the EOC tour as a backup to his backup.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 07:11 AM

Isn't it his backup guitar that he mainly uses for recording?

James
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 07:48 AM

If I remember right, it's a JS2, with a 1000 neck?
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 10:09 AM

Ibanez probably "strongly encourages" Joe to talk about models that are currently in production and that people can actually go out and buy. Too bad we can't get a chrome one, though.

I wonder if anyone's sent a JS-1000 to GunsGirls&Guitars yet for nickel plating.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren wilson
I wonder if anyone's sent a JS-1000 to GunsGirls&Guitars yet for nickel plating.
Hi Darren,

I sent out a JS2000 for plating, I should be getting it back next week. I felt pretty guilty doing it because the CG finish was beautiful. I'll let you know how it comes out.

Mmmmm....fixed bridge Chromeboy (nickelboy really)
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 12:33 AM

Great! I couldn't afford to be the gunie pig. I had to sell my JS-1 with
chrome hardware to pay some bills!

Show us some pics when you get it back!
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 05:31 AM
ggl

Why Chrome?

I'm interested to know what all the fuss is about Chrome plating? Is this some sort of lacquer finish with a chrome look or is it some other type of paint? Will this process add a new tone to a guitar or is it simply for looks??

I can understand people (including myself) buying satch's guitars because they sound amazing and everyone achieves an individual sound through choices with amps, strings, pickups and various effects & mods. I can't understand why anyone would want to paint a guitar or buy one simply because it looks good or it will make me look like Joe etc, etc? So I'm very curious as to what all this is about with this chrome plating biz and why it is so important?
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 05:42 AM

it is simply for looks. If you don't care about looks, that is fine. But you are probably in the wrong crowd, since one of the properties of Ibanez guitars (among playabily and sound) is looks. Swirls, inlays, chrome, whatnot.. The looks make a allready briliant guitar (wheter Jem, Js or Universe) that more closer to perfection. :-)
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 06:14 AM
ggl

cloning

I like a guitar to look good and I think my black JS looks very cool but I just can't understand the mentality in cloning.

But thats cool and I can't say I didn't try to copy someone in my life as I think we all do that. Good luck and I don't mean to offend or anything but was just curious really.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Raven
Show us some pics when you get it back!
Will do!
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 09:24 AM

No offence taken..
I guess cloning is most of the time easier or cheaper than getting the real deal. If you can nickelplate your js-1000 for 300 bucks, why spend 2 grand on a 10th? Not everybody can afford such instruments. And besides, it's fun. I cloned Vai's Bad Horsie axe twice. There is no way in heck I could ever own one of the originals, but now I have a cool looking, quality, quite original guitar, that you won't find in shops. Some people go all the way to create something really unique, like Glens Custom Jem.

Or hack together a weird jem/js-10th ugly combination mutant kinda axe....
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 11:33 AM

Re: Why Chrome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggl
I'm interested to know what all the fuss is about Chrome plating? Is this some sort of lacquer finish with a chrome look or is it some other type of paint? Will this process add a new tone to a guitar or is it simply for looks??
It's not paint. It's a thin layer of metal plating. You just can't go down to your local paint shop and ask for a chrome finish. It's a difficult and complex process that takes a lot of time, money and experimentation to perfect.

I think the reason they hold such appeal to so many is that it's truly a unique finish that looks spectacular on the fluid JS shape. Speaking personally, i love the JS shape, and i think the chrome is really beautiful. Whether Joe plays it or not is irrelevant to me. One day, i'd like to have my own chrome boy, but it will be because i love them, not because i'm trying to be like Joe.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 09:24 AM
ggl

I can understand where you are coming from and i guess it's like owning a vintage strat or similar. I suppose it would also be cool to own jimi's gutair to come to think of it. I did see a pic of a chromeboy today and it does look very nice and I will buy one I think as well just to hear the sound as it sounds interesting and it does look good.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Ironically, something in the chrome plating process whether it's the 180 degree bath or the finish itself changes the tone of the guitar. Joe thinks it sounds better

I'm not going to argue. And besides a chrome JS is a chick magnet

Tags
bass response , black headstock , chrome boy , chrome hardware , crystal planet , custom jem , darren wilson , dual sound , fixed bridge , ibanez guitars , joe satriani , pickup cover , vintage strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode