Chrome your JS? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
HDS

Chrome your JS?

Look what I found http://www.alsacorp.com/ChromeFX.html

By the looks of it it does work on wood, so no plastic body JS needed like the JS10 have. I filled out a qoute for a guitar body to be done, wounder what the price will be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2003, 04:32 PM

I work in the R&D dept. of a grill company and we have looked into a similar processes for coating plastic tools. We tried the vacuum formed process but there had to be a seam. This process is applied by spraying so it may work! Ask for samples or which products are currently being sold at retail.
We have been working on a chrome paint process for grills but it just does not look like chrome. Ten feet away, the paint looks good but up close, it lacks the reflection properties of a chrome/nickel plating.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2003, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
HDS

They have sample pics on their page, they sure look good.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2003, 07:59 PM

Why don't they make a JS model that comes with the chrome color like satch's?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2003, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
HDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6StringGod
Why don't they make a JS model that comes with the chrome color like satch's?
They did (JS10 & JS2) but they used a plating process of copper then chrome. They had problems and only did small runs. This process works with out copper plating at all to get the crome to adhire.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2003, 09:03 PM

Have you gotten an answer yet to your estimate request? I would sure be interested in this, if it works. Will it be durable enough?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2003, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
HDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by babahi
Have you gotten an answer yet to your estimate request? I would sure be interested in this, if it works. Will it be durable enough?
Yeah, they sent me this.

"Thank you for your inquiry into ChromeFX. In order to provide you with an Estimate we would need more information (i.e. quantity, dimensions, surface condition, picture if possible) or simply send your items to the address below and upon receiving we will contact you with total cost to ChromeFX."

They dont ask for much do they, guess they never seen a guitar before.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 02:44 PM

Well if its an expensive process every square inch could make a diference . The question is, are u going to get it done
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2003, 06:25 AM

I'm just about to send a beater guitar body which I've resanded smooth to be nickel-plated - Rich has had bad experience with his but as it's going to be thrown about anyway I don't mind if the edges & routs are a little scrappy, plus being a Kahler Flyer trem the trem mount will cover the edges of the rout rather than sitting within it like a Floyd.

I'll let you know how I get on and will watch this with interest. I want to build a chrome Jem at some point but Rich is right, the nickel-platers get too scrappy a finish to consider with a guitar whose hardware sits within the routs rather than with p'up rings, trem mount etc. sitting over the edges of them.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2003, 10:52 AM

The guy that does that claims that the guitar bodies he does nowadays are turning out better than when he first started....but be prepared to get new studs when he's ready to send your body back.
evidently he's done a lot of crappy jobs on ppl's bodies......and then he claims Ibanez used the wrong process.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2003, 11:13 AM

Which guy was that? Just to check I'm going to the right person, I'm planning to use Historical Arts [[email protected]].

And that's what I'm saying the Flyer (for it is he) sits in a metal casing, like a pickup ring, and so there are no trempost studs in the body, its one unit that attaches by screwing it in.

Will post pics once its done.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2003, 11:41 AM

That's the guy i'm talking about
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2003, 12:10 PM

Cheers will post pics once its done...
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2003, 06:32 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie
Which guy was that? Just to check I'm going to the right person, I'm planning to use Historical Arts [[email protected]].

Again, there's 2 ID's running adds, they are both the same shop, gunsgilrsandguitars.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2003, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
HDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
Again, there's 2 ID's running adds, they are both the same shop, gunsgilrsandguitars.
I always get this 80's feeling when I see their auctions =p.

Tags
chrome jem , guitar body , pickup ring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode