Chroming A JS - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-24-2003, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Chroming A JS

Okay, I know there are like 50 thousand threads for a chroming js guitars but I would like to offer someinfo about the place Im getting my JS done.
Its cosmichrome.com in quebec canada.Not only can they chrome anything but you can get it tinted in colors,even cosmo ,get it brushed or have it done in gold .Im waiting to get mine back and Ill post some pics when it's finished.The quoted cost was 189USD and that if you wanted the headstock done also. Some info when searching the page is,Jimmy from cosmichrome told me that its not just sprayed on but there is a thin sheet of material sandwiched between the layers.Also he said everyone asks him if its reflective and he told me quote" Its basically a grey paint we spray on......No,I'm just kidding ,its totally reflective and youll be able to do your hair in it if thats what youre worried about." Like I said Ill post some pics when its done and Ill tell you guys how it sounds and looks up close etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-24-2003, 10:43 PM
Vendor

I can't see calling anything like this "chrome". Even if it looks like it, it really isn't. "Chrome" is becoming a generic term to describe anything silver and shiny.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-24-2003, 11:10 PM

I look forward to seein the pics! Hope that "mirror" finish comes out as expected!
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-24-2003, 11:16 PM
Vendor

I should say, I love the fact that it's cheap and [hopefully] does look good [because you can't tell a thing from web pics, only inspecting in hand will tell the tale] and it's got to be WAY better than having Guns Girls and Guitars butcher your guitar before nickeling it, it just irks me that anything that even closely resembles it gets termed "chrome". Simulchrome would be a much more accurate way to descibe these simulated finishes.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-25-2003, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I can't see calling anything like this "chrome". Even if it looks like it, it really isn't. "Chrome" is becoming a generic term to describe anything silver and shiny
Well its not the traditional chrome plating but as I said in the original post ,there is a thin layer of metal between the layers of the other stuff they use.I understand what youre saying and I agree.I thought that this was a better alternative to having it nickled or made aluminum and all that other stuff thats being suggested out there.Also in response to the chrome term,if you want Websters take on it- 2. chromium-plated or other bright metallic trim,as on an automobile. or 6. to plate (metal) with a compond of chromium.
Heres a question for you is the JS2 and 10th actually CHROME plated,if so how can you tell the difference between nickel,chromium and other like metals.My 10th wasnt very "mirror"like it was more like a fluid distorted reflection with pits galore.When it got chipped on the side of the body where the strap is it was like a thin piece of aluminum foil.It was actually hollow and the chip wasnt even that big or deep.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-25-2003, 12:11 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagevz7
Also in response to the chrome term,if you want Websters take on it- 2. chromium-plated or other bright metallic trim,as on an automobile. or 6. to plate (metal) with a compond of chromium.
Heres a question for you is the JS2 and 10th actually CHROME plated,if so how can you tell the difference between nickel,chromium and other like metals.My 10th wasnt very "mirror"like it was more like a fluid distorted reflection with pits galore.When it got chipped on the side of the body where the strap is it was like a thin piece of aluminum foil.It was actually hollow and the chip wasnt even that big or deep.
In other words Websters is already making it OK to generalize the term to describe anything reflective. Unfortunate.

The JS2's are definately chrome and involved 3 different facilities [the factory, Bensalem, and LA] all trying to get the process to work, each of them slightly different. My JS2 is quite warm and "blue" just as chrome should be. I've been questioning the 10th's since I first saw one. Hoshino will swear on a stack of Gutenbergs that it's real chrome, even though it's much whiter and colder than chrome. It's definately a one step instead of the typical 3 step that would be used on a car bumper etc. It is definately applied electrically like a real plate should, but I still question them.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-25-2003, 03:09 PM

Are Jem 90th's chrome or are they silver or what???
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-25-2003, 03:15 PM
Vendor

Huh? What in the world would make you think that?

http://www.ibanezrules.com/images/gallery/jem90.jpg
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-25-2003, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zEr0
Are Jem 90th's chrome or are they silver or what???
If you mean their pickguards, they are mirrored plastic if I recall correctly.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-25-2003, 03:29 PM
Vendor

They are polished metal, no chrome, exactly what "metal" they are has always been in question.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-25-2003, 06:08 PM

Well, I've never seen one in person but they look metallic-blue in a few photos and that's the general opinion of people who have them. You said chrome was kind of blue so that's how it came to my mind. Never seen a Chromeboy either so I have no idea how a chrome guitar is really suposed to be.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-25-2003, 06:54 PM
Vendor

Not "blue" as in look at the blue sky! It's a shade. If you put nickel [which is much whiter] next to chrome [which is much bluer] you'd know. Or step outside and look at a chrome bumper
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-07-2003, 10:09 PM

I just thought i,d say that i am almost definate that chrome boy,s are not actually chrome (as in chromium plate) as that requires appling the crome at very high temp so is therfore only usually applied to a metal object that won't melt or be damaged by the heat. The procces that is almost certainly used is aluminising , that is where aluminium is vapourised in a special chamber and the vapour then clings to the object that is being plated (like a guitar) this is also how they also do stuff like plastic car parts and you get an effect that ressembles chrome.

well that's my 2cent's worth anyway. I'm sure someone will have a different opinion.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-07-2003, 10:39 PM
Vendor

Chromium bath is 180 degrees, it'll melt ice and cheese, but not alot more
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 04:29 PM

Just checking in to see if any pics have arrived

Got a JS100 I'm thinking about trying it on.

Tags
chrome boy , clear coat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

COSMICHROME INC. QUEBEC
cosmichrome is crap
cosmichrome guitar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode