chromy thing - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2001, 06:20 AM Thread Starter

chromy thing

hey anybody knows what the chromed looking thing on JS's guitar headstock during live performances is?..i believe its called phat fingers for better sustain...anyone tried one of this before?
know where to get it in uk?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2001, 03:00 PM

Reviews: 3
chromy thing

It is indeed called a Phat Finger. *You can get them at guitar stores for like $15 or something around that realm. *The basic idea is that added mass on the headstock end of the guitar will increase sustain... which in theory, should work... but I think it's a gimmick. *So long as you have that floating trem, locking nut and string retainer bar... it doesn't matter how much mass/weight you add to the guitar, you're sustain will always suck. *I don't care if your guitar was cut by a laser either. *;-) *(no offense, but it's true)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2001, 06:26 AM

chromy thing

jay.. i dunno how much the fatfinger helps or otherwise (joe had lost it by the fillmore show), but hey.. touch the headstock to the wall and experience beefy tone

~A
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2001, 02:53 PM

chromy thing

good point...... the mass on the end of the headstocks ballances out (more so than before) the weight on each end of the strings. there fore the strings will vibrate more evenly throught the span that are not behind the locking nut. i think it would work.

JR
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2001, 06:03 PM

chromy thing

hahaha..... through....... i think i was goin for through out and got a little mixed up... i guess thats what happens when your thinking about the psychics of guitar string's.......
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2001, 04:06 PM

chromy thing

are these psychics mediums too?

~A
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-01-2001, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

chromy thing

anyone know the website for phat finger?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-01-2001, 11:48 AM

chromy thing

My mistake... it's called a Fat Finger...

They're made by our friends at Groove Tubes.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-01-2001, 06:23 PM

chromy thing

Well hey come on for like $15 a Fat Finger why not just "test" it out @ guitar center or someone before buying...even so 15-20 bux is almost nothing. I'd still try it out for fun.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

chromy thing

anybody know where i can get the fat finger in england?
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 12:18 PM

chromy thing

Any store that deals in Groove Tubes can order it for you. *Most larger stores that sell tubes deal in Groove Tubes.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 11:12 PM

chromy thing

I think it's smoke and mirrors. Why do companies like PRS brag about their "low mass tuners" if additional mass on the headstock is a good thing?

Touching your headstock to the wall doesn't make your guitar resonate more... it transfers the guitar's vibration to the wall, which resonates sympathetically, making the volume and sustain appear greater.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2001, 09:46 AM

chromy thing

Quote:
Quote: from anuj on 6:26 am on May 30, 2001
jay.. i dunno how much the fatfinger helps or otherwise (joe had lost it by the fillmore show), but hey.. touch the headstock to the wall and experience beefy tone

~A
Yeah I know what you mean, but I've already had one roadie break his back after carrying a wall around for me so I had to give that one up, plus at the smaller venues it was a real pig to get on stage.

Steve
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2001, 02:34 AM

chromy thing

[email protected], i meant it as an exercise in experimentation, not a practical gigging solution

but that did make me laugh.. out loud even

~A

Tags
groove tubes , locking nut , retainer bar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode