Ibanez JEM Forum banner

CITES - Regulation of Rosewood

10K views 44 replies 17 participants last post by  Rich 
#1 · (Edited)
I see everybody posting their guitars are late so consider this an explanation thread.

Possibly different in Europe/Asia, but,

If it had not cleared customs before the ban took effect 1/2, it has not left the port. Nothing has come in this year, nothing. In the US, supposedly all the permitting has been finalized, but the ports are now the backlog as they have to try and start clearing the thousands of containers that have been held.

HUSA is going to get buried in 4 months worth of shipments probably within a few weeks, or all at once. Which will create the next backlog in not enough personnel to handle the volume [expect even faster QC so everybody should be triple checking anything bought that is current/new]

I don't see this working any smoother for quite some time.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit!!

I either understood this wrong, or the one explaining it to me did.

The containers never left Japan. The permitting had to be finalized before they could put the container on the ship. Anything not permitted, they would confiscate the entire container and destroy the contents.

So

The first Japanese container of the year came in 3 weeks ago. And, there is a Japanese container stuck in customs in NY for the last 3 weeks. There are no other containers on the ocean that he knew of at this time. So everything is even further behind than I thought.

But, the deluge has started as they received 10 containers last week and have 10 containers coming in this week. 20 containers, all Ibanez MII and MIC, within 2 weeks. That's a clusterfeck of QC nightmares.

See less See more
#2 ·
I see everybody posting their guitars are late so consider this an explanation thread.

Possibly different in Europe/Asia, but,

If it had not cleared customs before the ban took effect 1/2, it has not left the port. Nothing has come in this year, nothing. In the US, supposedly all the permitting has been finalized, but the ports are now the backlog as they have to try and start clearing the thousands of containers that have been held.

HUSA is going to get buried in 4 months worth of shipments probably within a few weeks, or all at once. Which will create the next backlog in not enough personnel to handle the volume [expect even faster QC so everybody should be triple checking anything bought that is current/new]

I don't see this working any smoother for quite some time.
Holy cow. Nothing since the first of the year, and it's April. What effect does sitting on a shipping container/in a warehouse for that long have on a guitar? I don't see your work getting easier either.

#5 ·
Thanks, that was stupid of me not to link a further explanation. I take for granted everybody knows since we've been talking about it since last year. Then I realize the reason I posted this thread was because evidently nobody knows or doesn't know enough to know why they're still waiting for the guitar they were promised in February and everybody along the line is the one getting yelled at. HUSA is still explaining to dealers why their orders haven't come in so this is spreading more like a slow fungus than a virus, but it affects, alot. And everybody has to be aware.

Further talk about it here

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f16/i...-more-complicated-146770.html?highlight=cites

#6 ·
I spoke with the government agency here in the UK that is looking after this.

they advised until the latest amendment to the CITES appendices gets (or got if it's happened by now) formalised from being a list to being an EU Regulation, then nothing was supposed to be clearing customs into the UK, because customs wouldn't have a legal framework under which to clear it into the country. Technically, if the law is implemented in Europe in the form of and EU regulation, then the national treatment should be the same across all the member states.

Whether things are moving yet or not, I don't know

#8 ·
A new EU Regulation has been publisehd on February 1st with effects on February 4.

Things had remained unchanged under the EU practice between Jan 2 (date of supposed application of the new CITES process and regulation) and Feb 4 (date of effects of the new EU Regulation). So anyone in Europe having received a guitar without any CITES process involved has Nothing to do with luck but is just cause by the lack of implemented Regulation on the EU level. Since Feb 4, things are Under the strict level of CITES process.

From what I know, any buyer in EU buying outside of EU must ask a seller outside of EU to obtain a CITES Re-exportation certificate. Once this Certificate has been obtained, the EU buyer must obtain an Importaiton CITES certificate from his National CITES authority which must indicate the Re-exportation certificate number (a scan copy of the Re-exportation certificate is to be provided to the National CITES authority to obtain the Importation certificate). Once this Importation certificate is obtained, the EU buyer must send a scan copy of the Importation CITES certificate to the seller. This seller must joint to the shipping papers the Re-exportation Certificate and a printed copy of the Importation Certificate. Call it a mess...

In France, the announced deadline to obtain CITES certificate is 1 month and it is FREE. Still 1 month announced in Spain but they ask 20 Euros fees. Not sure about the other EU Countries.

I haven't heard any story about how the Customs really practice in EU since the process is effective.

#7 ·
Hearing that I'd bet the "civilized world" hasn't gotten anything. All the JEM's are late everywhere, and everywhere the JEM's are late, they haven't gotten anything.

The JEM is non ban of course but it's in a container 70% full of banned guitars.

#9 ·
Thanks Rich for the informative clarification behind what has been happening behind the scenes in relation to the delays. It now makes complete sense after reading the article and the additional information provided by everyone who has been posting here.
I admit I was one of the culprits asking about the delay of the new Jems on other posts. But now I understand why. Thank you all for the clarification. I am fairly new here, so I was not aware of this information until now.

I just need to relax and have patience.

Thanks guys.

Cheers :)

#17 ·
NEW NEWS!!!

A Japanese container was delivered to HUSA today! I have no idea which, the port probably doesn't care about what order they're going out, but they got 1 out. The small light at the end of the tunnel isn't an oncoming train!

#24 ·
Rex at "sell my jem" one of our other vendors is advertising successful CITES permit applications, so it can be done!

Hopefully once government agencies get their heads around this, particularly for older instruments, where documentation doesn't exist, we'll start to see the flow of trade again.

#25 ·
This is a little off topic but didnt see a need to start a new thread over it: Does anyone know if the "stage pass" that comes with the 30th Jems has a real Vai signature on it? Or is that just a print? You can see his sig on there but I've never seen any info on whether he actually signed those or not. Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.