Clean tone in JEM? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 07:10 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Clean tone in JEM?

I have a JEM with evos and canít get decent clean tone from any pickup position. I am using Roland amp (crystal clean with my mahogany body RG). Is that because of basswood or evo in JEM?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 07:22 AM

Re: Clean tone in JEM?

Is it that the tone isn't quite clean or that you don't like the sound?
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 08:39 AM

Reviews: 34

Is that a valve or transistor amp?

Evos are really voiced for valve amps. I have found the tone disappointing through transistor and modelling amps.
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiman View Post
Is it that the tone isn't quite clean or that you don't like the sound?
I don't like the sound Not very 'acoustical'?

Its a Solid State Amp.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 09:46 AM

Evo's do sound a little hifi when clean (which I like) but added to a solid state amp they'll probably be rather uninspiring.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 09:57 AM

Probably the amp, rolands aren't exactly tone kings afterall(not trying to dis your amp). Have you tried another amp? Or just maybe it's your settings? I have 2 Jems & they sound great clean. I have used a tube amp (Legacy) & a solid state amp (Marshall Zakk Wylde Micro stack) & they sound awesome through both.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 09:58 AM

If you want an acoustic sound get a pee-ayyyy-zoeee
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

forgot to mention, it runs through Digitech GNX4. Maybe that further degraded the sound. I am looking for clean sounds like GnR's knocking on heaven doors intro (Just an example, I know it is different). I can achieve that with my RG using same settings. But obviously I want to play JEM.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 11:06 AM

Probably pickup differences. Evos are hot pickups optimised for the singing distortion sound that Vai likes so much. I wouldn't use a Jem with evos to try to get a nice clean sound. You need a pickup with less output, less mids, and less compression.

Maybe you could try putting something like a Fender vintage voiced (e.g. a 57/62) single coil in the middle position, and use that by itself for a classic clean sound? Clean doesn't get sweeter than that, imho.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 02:06 PM

The neck clean was really the only stock sound I liked out of the Evos through my half stack. But generally I've found that bright high output pickups through digital processors and digital amps don't sound good. For my tastes only hollwbodied guitars sound great through digital amps, solid bodies sound better through tubes.

So, I'd say the Jem and your amp simply aren't a good match; it happens. Because your mahogany guitar sounds great through your amp, I wouldn't change anything at this point.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 02:27 PM

Reviews: 18

Use the Jem on the pickup positions 2 or 4 to get a nicer clean sound.

Jimmy
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post
Use the Jem on the pickup positions 2 or 4 to get a nicer clean sound.

Jimmy
And dont forget the 3rd also.

By the way, if you want "really nice" clean sound, why dont you get a strat with pair of single p.u.s with their clarity and cyrstal brightness?
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 09:48 PM

Reviews: 2

I agree with positions 2 and 4. Played through the normal channel of my SLO,,,goose bumps. And all the reviews I've been reading on the Evo's being too harsh.......I love the sound of the bridge and neck pickups on the overdrive channel. They really "sing." Especially that bridge pickup,,,,hit a note with high gain,,,and you can really hear something going on with those overtones....really cool. Very unique pickup.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 10:00 PM

Lower thy pickups. How low can you go?
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 10:59 PM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: Clean tone in JEM?

Position 4 on any Jem I own or have ever owned is the sweetest clean tone on the earth. Warm, yet crisp, with the right amount of twang. That's my opinion of course, but I have wowed many a fine musician in the studio with my clean tone. In fact I'm going to play some clean stuff right after this...

I'd also try playing with the tone controls to see where it is the sweetest. Too much or too little mid can ruin a sound IMHO.

I've never owned a Roland anything. Played through them a few times, so I might just be crazy. Good luck with your tone...

Tags
jem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode