Clearcoat on a Chromeboy? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Clearcoat on a Chromeboy?

So this might be a simple question, so apologies for that if it is.....

Chromeboys of all varieties are obviously delicate in terms of their finish, so why aren't they clear coated for protection? Is this due to the clearcoat ruining the effect, or perhaps they are clearcoated but only with a thin application?

Just wondering what the score is with this, since if I ever managed to raise the cash for a used one, it would be interesting to see if getting is clear coated could maintain the finish since I'd want to play the **** out of it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 09:18 AM
Contributor

Re: Clearcoat on a Chromeboy?

I have had the same idea myself.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 06:53 PM

Reviews: 25

My thoughts are if you were able to clear coat a chrome finish, then maybe Ibanez would have done it in the first place. Obviously the clear coat doesn't look good over the chrome..

Who is going to be the first one to experiment with a 4k guitar
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 08:54 PM

whats shines more than chrome? dont clear a chrome or mirror body. I don't know one person who has ever sprayed clear on a chrome bumper?????
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 09:03 PM
Contributor

BUmpers have a much thicker layer of chrome. The idea wouldn't be to make it shiny but to protect the chrome from coming off.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 12:35 AM
Vendor

This is something I discovered a couple months ago.

It was always presumed the early 10's were a nickel plate. They always had an amber cast to them, and didn't look anything like the blue chrome of the 2 following batches. I've only had a few of them and all in condition so I never saw anything that would make me believe otherwise, until the last one I did.

This was under the trem.

If you haven't figured it out, it's a clearcoat chip. They are cleared, it's the clear that turned amber and why they've always looked nickel. The good thing knowing that is, knowing the clear can be polished. Any later 10th you use anything on it and you can kiss the chrome goodbye.

Go figure.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 03:17 AM Thread Starter

Does that mean though that a later 10th could be cleared? I realise that this is a gamble, but an interesting one.

Some clears on other guitars obviously have that amber hue, making whites not so white after a while.

Thanks for the info Rich
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 03:21 AM
Vendor

You'd be rolling the dice. The current generation of spray chromes get cleared, but you're talking about an existing finish I'm not sure anybody could identify positively.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 03:36 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, that certainly makes sense....a gamble for sure.

The current generation does get cleared then? I think I've got confused by your above post. I udnerstand that the early generation 10ths are cleared, as shown in your picture, but you then say that any later ones would have chrome removed if they were polished. I guess I just made the assumption that this would be cos they're not cleared.

Regards
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 03:47 AM
Vendor

The current generation of chrome paints, sprays, solutions, etc, aftermarket shops are selling, are clearcoated.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 04:21 AM Thread Starter

Ah gotcha.

Thanks
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 07:01 PM
Contributor

I sold an early chrome through rich and he made this realization right after saying we could have made it dead mint. It was pretty damn close though. I never liked the color that's why I sold it and got a much later chrome which I like the color of. Best plan for those who can afford is get a mint one you don't touch and get an already flawed one that you can play and do whatever to. I have a messed up chrome and I have no fear of playing it because it is quite far from perfect which makes it an actual guitar and not just a work of art in a case.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 06:06 AM Thread Starter

Its hard enough to find one, let alone two ;-)
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 11:40 AM
Contributor

It's not as hard as you'd think. You just have to do the right research online and be persistent
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 09:32 PM

Reviews: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDemon View Post
I sold an early chrome through rich and he made this realization right after saying we could have made it dead mint. It was pretty damn close though. I never liked the color that's why I sold it and got a much later chrome which I like the color of. Best plan for those who can afford is get a mint one you don't touch and get an already flawed one that you can play and do whatever to. I have a messed up chrome and I have no fear of playing it because it is quite far from perfect which makes it an actual guitar and not just a work of art in a case.
Must be nice to have money laying around like that Demon, can I have your 10th?

Jimmy

Tags
chromeboy , clear , clearcoat , coat , satriani

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode