Coil Tapping Jem Humbuckers - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

Coil Tapping Jem Humbuckers

Has anyone done this. I need a drawing/schematic which represents the pots, pups and switch with wire color etc. so that I can have a single coil option in the bridge and neck humbuckers by selecting another switch or a push/pull pot. It will allow more flexibility and control over tone. I believe that the Jem would have a killer sound with a single coil in either the bridge or neck position, and this mod would give you the best of both worlds, maybe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 07:24 AM

Re: Coil Tapping Jem Humbuckers

Get a binary switch and connect the black and white wires to one terminal and an earth from a pot to the other, when the switch is on, it will turn off the outside coil. Do the same with the other one. You could do it with one 3 way instead also.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 07:03 AM Thread Starter

I am electiterate, meaning that I can't follow you, sorry, thanks for your effort, but I looked at the wiring diagrams at Ibanez's site and couldn't I use JSs push/pull pot. If so that is the way to go becuase then I don't have to make holes in the pick guard. So how exaclty would a electochallenged guy like me do this exactly. Thanks so much for your help and I understand if you have given up on me.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 09:31 AM

Oh yeah, that would be the way to go since its jem, I have lots of switches on my RGs because it just adds character. Just take it to a tech if you're not confident with it and they should be able to get a push pull in as well.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 11:06 AM

Look at the wiring diagram for a JEM, the humbuckers are already split or tapped from the factory...... you could modify the original wiring to eliminate the center pickup from being "on" when the neck or bridge pups are in single coil use. But I think the center pup was included to help eliminate hum or buzz too.

Did you take the time to do a search or review the information from the Ibanez web site????

Here look at this.......

http://www.ibanez.com/wiring/diagrams/2005/JEM7.pdf
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

yes i have all of this information and wish to add a push/pull pot (same as used on the JS series) to isolate the coil in both position 1 & 5 as a 66th and 7th option, sort of like having a suedo strat but hopefully with better sound.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 11:56 AM

I can see how you would do it but the diagram of the push pull isnt detailed enough to work out how the terminals are connected so I couldnt tell you what would go where, it would be an easy mod for any decent tech tho.

Tags
bridge pup , neck humbucker , neck position , wiring diagram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode