A coincidental happy story - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

A coincidental happy story

Hi,

My name is Alf, and I used to own a Jem 7rb. I do now, but I used to, too

Back in 1998 I lived in Oslo, Norway. I had my own little hobby studio set up in my apartment and my 7rb at the ready. Sadly, some untrustworthy people broke in to my apartment and stole everything minus the bed sheets. There went my 7rb, which was my greatest concern. The rest could be replaced.

Aanyway, the insurance company found no reasons not to reimburse my losses (Despite of their best efforts) and so I used some of the money to buy a new guitar. A Jem 90, which I thought was the best way of replacing the 7rb. Little Stevie Vai had already signed the certificate on it, but I figured I could up the ante, and so I took it to a Vai concert (Ultra Zone) and had Mike Mangini, Mike Keneally and Phillip Bynoe sign the certificate as well. As well as Vai once more, to which he was rather curious.

I still have the Jem 90, Steve, if you are reading this

So, my 7rb was lost and then I started realizing that I still missed it, despite my new Jem 90. The Jem 90 was causing me some Floyd Rose grief. It would not return to the same resting point. It didn`t feel nearly as easy to play on as the 7rb. So I was bidding on 7rbīs on ebay and if I saw one for sale I`d go as far as I could pricewise but still... no luck. Its sad to put it like this, but I was stuck with the Jem 90 as my best option.

Fast forward to May 2011. I was looking through the classified ads in my area, and there was a 7rb for sale...and it looked oddly familiar. It was the guitar that was stolen from me in 1998! So I got in touch with the current owner and told him what had happened.

He told me that he had received the guitar as part payment for a car job he had done, and that he had not suspected that the guitar was stolen. He agreed to sell it back to me for half of the intentioned price, and so after almost 13 years, my favorite guitar ever was back!

Back when I first owned it, it had already been sanded and the lovely root beer finish had been destroyed. It was never a pretty sight. But to my surprise and delight it is STILL, after 13 years, exactly the way I remembered it. Plays lovely, sounds excellent and best of all, it still stays in tune no matter what I do to the Floyd Rose...

If there are words to describe my joy over having got my baby back, I am not aware of them. It might not be pretty, but performance does not need to be.

I`ve attached a picture of it for anyone who might want to have a look.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0273.JPG (87.6 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by Jem_90; 01-12-2012 at 07:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 07:31 AM

Re: A coincidental happy story

congrats for the return of the lost child.
i can imagine it, 13 years, and nothing happened to the guitar, it's pretty amazing.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

here is another, but you have to copy/paste because apparently I am a lousy poster...:

farm8.staticflickr.com/7005/6683988285_65a8fd6229.jpg
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 07:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoshredder View Post
congrats for the return of the lost child.
i can imagine it, 13 years, and nothing happened to the guitar, it's pretty amazing.
Thanks, I am really enjoying playing it again. I`m a sentimental person to begin with, but losing that guitar back then was really a hard blow for my joy of playing. But now... its starting to really return!
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 08:18 AM

wow! glad to hear that your guitar found you! and I love the finish with those pickups!!!
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

It has a story to tell, thats for sure
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 08:30 AM

Reviews: 1

At home, Nice!
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem_90 View Post
It has a story to tell, thats for sure
yeah, probably a few new songs in it!
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 09:52 AM

Great story and a nice guitar!

RB is number one in my book, at least of the Jems. No 10th, GMC, BFP or any other model I've owned or played has been close. Not sure what it is, but let's call it mojo.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Euphor View Post
Great story and a nice guitar!

RB is number one in my book, at least of the Jems. No 10th, GMC, BFP or any other model I've owned or played has been close. Not sure what it is, but let's call it mojo.
I certainly agree. For some reason I play this thing completely different from any other guitar I own... Mojo... too bad the name is already taken.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 11:38 AM

Congratulations!!! What a great start into the new year!!!
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 11:57 AM

Reviews: 5

What an awesome story! Congrats and kudos to the guy that gave it to you for less money than intended. Have fun with your old love!
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 12:51 PM

Did you contact the cops about the guy that stold it?
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 12:55 PM

Excellent. That guitar did find it's way back to you, great story and even better ending!!
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 12:57 PM

Awesome that it made it's way back to you!!!!!

Tags
7rb , happy ending , recovered , stolen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode