Collecting jems? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Collecting jems?

I've read a topic about the collectibility of jems. The big conclusion was: Collectibility depends on demand and supply.

I would my point of view. You can label something as a collectible item if the price someone wants to pay second hand is much higher than the original new-price.
It doens't matter if it is a 5000$ PRS or a 300$ Yamaha. If the PRS sells for 4000$ and the Yamaha sells for 500$, the yamaha is the collectors item.

If we look at Ibanez Jems the DNA is not a collectible. The DNA is just expensive from the beginning. Ofcource I want a DNA but I will not pay so much money for it. Maybe in a few years
The MC are collectible. The MC are more worth than brandnewprice.

What is your opinion?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 01:49 PM

anything is collectable as long as you're into it. most people might not agree with me though.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 01:49 PM

I would say that if you're collecting because of a possible profit, then it's not collecting, that's speculation. If you collect something it must be a reason. If you collect small rocks you find along your path. What's the secondhand price on a mint rock these days?

Regards

Euph
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 01:55 PM

Collectibility and value definitely depends on supply and demand and the market trends. It's true that anything can become collectible. You will find that there are certain Jems that held their value OK for a while but as time went on, more people were seeking them out and paying more money for them. Jems make me happy. It's nice to know that some are worth more than what I paid for them but I am not "in it" for that. I just want to play them and enjoy them.

Mike 777

Last edited by mike777; 01-12-2011 at 06:41 PM.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 03:08 PM

My wife collects crap that I will never begin to completely understand the validity of. I collect stuff that pisses her off because it wakes my kid up, AND HE'S DEAF !!! It is all in the eye of the beholder, not neccessarily the value of it, but an importance to you that brings joy by having many pieces around you. The more you have, the happier you are. Maybe not your significant other, but you. And that is who you are collecting for.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

So the problem with collecting is that a piece could be crap to somebody but a collector will give his kidney for this ).

In my case, I also collect old vinyl records beside jems .
I have a huge collection. Most people don't get my point that old vinyl is cozy and warm.
You can't imagine how happy I was when I found Flexable and P&W on vinyl!! I shaked for an hour .
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 04:16 PM

I collect shot glasses from Hard Rock Cafe. now who would do that?
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 04:16 PM

Exactly, jemke, talk to a [email protected] nut about a DNA and he wouldn't give you a hundred bucks for it. Talk to a Jem nut about it, and he can tell you out of the 300 made, which one is his favorite. And then proceed to ask you if you knew how much cash a testicle donation would put in his pocket. One man's trash is another man's treasure. That's what makes the world, and ebay go around.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 07:13 PM

Very well-put...
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil01ws6
And then proceed to ask you if you knew how much cash a testicle donation would put in his pocket.
So how much does a testicle donation pay? Cuz' I'd really love to grab a DNA.
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-24-2002, 12:05 PM
EKG

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacenuke
I collect shot glasses from Hard Rock Cafe. now who would do that?
A friend of mine collected shot glasses. His wife was gonna throw them away. He decided to put them on eebay. He had 2 Tiajuana Hard Rock shot glasses and was amazed that each went for over $300!! And she was gonna throw them away!

I collect guitars and coffee mugs :-)
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-24-2002, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

What else are you guys collecting besides guitars?maybe Stamps or sugar sapmles...

I want to know all the weird collections out there?
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-24-2002, 06:09 PM

I'm also into Boss pedals quite heavily. I have quite a few Marshall amps but I wouldn't consider myself a collector of amps by any means but I'll take anything I can get with the Marshall logo on it. Then again I like any brand of music-related swag. I am also a HUGE Marilyn Monroe buff. I also like license plates, baseball caps (-just sort of happened that way) and symbols of good ol' americana like Coca Cola memoribilia and things similar to that. If I had unlimited funds, I'd love to collect interesting watches and (getting back on topic) more Jems and UV's because if I had that kind of money, I could devote more time to playing and maybe start up a business that could make Jem memoribilia or something.

Mike 777

Last edited by mike777; 01-12-2011 at 06:42 PM.
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-24-2002, 06:47 PM

ok then...............

I am a sad person..........I'll admit this now. I have a collection of coke bottles from every country I or friends/family have been to, as well as mirrors, flags, glasses. You name it, if it's Coca Cola branded- there's a good chance I'll have it. Still looking for Coke condoms though!
I also collect picks that have been used by all the guitar players I've talked to, ranging from my flatmates to Mr Vai, and even Rob Balducci himself! Ah the joys of jemfest....... Incidently his picks are the coolest, cause they glow in the dark!
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-24-2002, 09:49 PM
Vendor

Collectibility has absolutely nothing to do with what it costs. The only thing that makes something collectible is if there's at least 1 person that wants to collect it.

Tags
boss pedal , boss pedals , guitar players , ibanez jem , marshall amp , rob balducci

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode