Collectors....How Important are the Details? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Collectors....How Important are the Details?

Fellow Jem & UV Collectors,
I'm posting this question for some good discussion....how important are the "other" details of the guitar package to you? I'm referring to any extras that come with the guitar as new....manuals, tools, warranty cards, Certificates of Authenticity, original cases, even the original packing box/materials. Interested in your feedback.
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 04:35 PM

Re: Collectors....How Important are the Details?

Certs and cases if they're unique to the guitar, otherwise not worried.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 05:49 PM
NSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
Certs and cases if they're unique to the guitar, otherwise not worried.
+1

Always good to get some history too if you can.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 03:44 AM

i dont care about those things.its just to bring the price higher but you dont use it that much and are not that rare to get
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 06:56 AM

Reviews: 13

For me, I think that it depends on if you are collecting the guitar for you or to sell later on. If it is simply for your collection to rock out then who cares about a case or a certificate but if you are buying as an investment I would want everything that came with the guitar - right down to the original sales receipt - I keep all certificates and tags etc in a filing cabinet so things don't get lost and they are well looked after. (PS Yeah 500th post - only taken 5 years!)

-Wolfram (500th)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 07:23 AM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfram View Post
For me, I think that it depends on if you are collecting the guitar for you or to sell later on. If it is simply for your collection to rock out then who cares about a case or a certificate but if you are buying as an investment I would want everything that came with the guitar - right down to the original sales receipt - I keep all certificates and tags etc in a filing cabinet so things don't get lost and they are well looked after. (PS Yeah 500th post - only taken 5 years!)

-Wolfram (500th)
Agreed. All that stuff is important for resale but if the guitar is considered a tool in your toolbox it's not important. Congrats on your 500th.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 01:40 PM

I would tend to agree that certs and other case candy are important for securing top dollar on a sale, but I would assert that with a unique swirl it would tend to matter less-it's the guitar that's important, right?

If I fell in love with a DNA I would want the guitar. The 'sleeping bag', certificate, and fancy case would be important, I mean, why would anyone have a DNA but not have the other stuff, but I would not pass on a purchase if that stuff wasn't available.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 03:03 PM

OHSC and Certs (when applicable) are mucho importante but not a total dealbreaker for the right guitar at the right price. The more case candy and paperwork you can get the better.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Great replies. It's funny, because I have a buddy who collects high-end Gibsons, and he always saves the packing boxes. Which got me thinking, because I never thought to do that, I mean a box is a box, but do people really care about that stuff?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 08:25 PM

Talking Re: Collectors....How Important are the Details?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibboom View Post
Great replies. It's funny, because I have a buddy who collects high-end Gibsons, and he always saves the packing boxes. Which got me thinking, because I never thought to do that, I mean a box is a box, but do people really care about that stuff?
I don't really consider myself a collector, but have a decent collection of various Jem and RG guitars and I will say that to me, I have all (or almost all) of the original shipping cartons and factory boxes for the guitars I have bought new.

Maybe this comes from my days of buying and selling guns - in which case, factory boxes can mean quite a bit - especially to the freaky of us who desire such things.

For me it's all important stuff, candy, certs (when applicable) and factory boxes are a huge plus.

Prolly not a deal breaker, but a huge plus.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 12:39 AM

I like to have a quality case, but if the guitar is missing it, I just consider the guitar to be worth slightly less. I can buy a brand new Prestige case for $125. I've gotten some older Ibanez cases with guitars and I'll end up selling them with other guitars I get rid of, so that I eventually end up with all good cases.

I don't care one bit about "case candy". To me it's 99% about the guitar.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 09:37 AM

I bought a players DNA (#177), and I most likely wouldn't have if it didn't come with the flight case, black bag & certificate of authenticity. I know they all didn't come with a flight case, but damn is it cool. I just like to have a complete package when I'm buying a limited edition guitar. Now I could care less about my FP, it could have come in a fender squire case and I would have minded. Just on limited edition guitars.

And I always save my boxes. I had a Fender Custom Shop Shell Pink 59 reissue with matching Shell Pink amp. Sold them on 3bay and all everyone wanted to know was if I had the original boxes and thankfully I did.

My DNA was shipped in a Jem20th box, which I saved as well. I guess the guy upgraded from a DNA to a Jem20th, must be nice

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode