Combining the FRED and Evolution pickups... - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-14-2002, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Combining the FRED and Evolution pickups...

I own an Ibanez Joe Satriani JS100 and I want to replace both of the stock pickups. I want to combine the Satch FRED and the Vai Evo pickups, but I don't know which to put in the neck and which to put in the bridge. Also, which should be F-spaced and which regular. I play heavy metal and also instrumental rock. Please help me find the best way to combine this pups. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-14-2002, 04:31 PM

Well it's mainly a bridge pickup...so I'd leave the Fred in the bridge Position. Then I'd stick the Evo in the Neck. F spaced or un F-spaced is fine for neck...bridge needs to be F spaced if you have a trem.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-14-2002, 05:21 PM

IMHO Freds aren't as nice in the Neck Position as they are in the bridge
position. The harmonics that Satriani had them focus on are very rich
in the bridge position, and not as usefull in the neck position.

I prefer smoother pickups in the neck position. The PAF Pro has proven
itself well there...but I too am considering an Evolution in the neck of
my Root Beer Jem.

I would go Evo=Neck Fred=Bridge

I'm sure you will LOVE the sound compaired to stock.

While those JS-100s may look the part, they certainly don't sound it.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-14-2002, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions! I think I will go FRED=bridge and EV0=neck, but I have a doubt. I play heavy metal, and I would like a very heavy sound for rhythm and playing powerful mutes. Will the EVO neck do this? What other pickups could I put there. Thanks a lot.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 02:58 AM

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to all your suggestions. I am also considering the Air Norton/Tone Zone combination. How would this sound for leads? Or should I try Air NOrton/Fred?. Thanks a lot
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 01:46 PM

Well, the combo rocks on my 7620... i absolutely LOVE the sound of the air norton in the neck. it's very clear and detailed- you feel like you can really hear the sound of the string against the fretboard when playing with distortion, and it produces a very airy clean tone- vaguely single-coil ish, actually. I'll be recieving a 2027 in the next few days with a paf pro in the neck, so i can tell you how the two compare then (body wood aside). the Tone Zone is a great pickup, too; not much in the way of airy-ness or sparkly when used clea, but it's very cutting, and thrives on distortion. Roll back the volume knob a touch, click on a wah, and you're basking in satchy goodness... think the intro to "cool #9" off the G3 disc. I personally would hold on to that Fred- Joe's got a custom fred-7 prototype that i'm dying makes production; i hear it just KILLS in mahogany.

-Drew
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-10-2002, 10:35 PM

uh...for the record, the FRED needs to be in the neck(f spaced or not, doesn't matter) and the evo in the bridge(bridge pickups "should always" be f-spaced). the reason is for output issues. also the fred is an overgrown paf pro, while the evo is a hot distortion class pickup. i have this setup on my rg550. and it proves that they compliment each other. if you have any doubts about what i'm saying, go to dimarzio's site and look at the specs.
as far as the air norton/tone zone setup...that is my all time favorite combo. on my new rgt3120, i am immediately swapping the paf pros to it(if GC gets me the air zone before it comes in...it'll be air norton/air zone. pickup dynamics like a mu-fugga!). i currently have a pair in an rt650 and god it rocks. so versatile and the inbetween split 5 is so sweet sounding.

rich
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 12:27 PM

howe much are evos and freds going for nowadays ?
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 06:20 PM

By reading this thread.i have gotten that ALL pip's should be F-spaced if you have a trem..Any type of trem..And on all guitars?
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 06:26 PM

I just got a Fred/Evo combo and its in the shop now being installed. I did not get the Fred (neck) F-spaced, but I did get the Evo F-spaced. I'm anxious to get it back
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-07-2003, 02:02 PM

You can look up FREDs and Evos on e-bay. They're selling for $50-65 new.

E
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-11-2003, 12:59 AM

Out put shouldn't be an issue hear because the evolution neck pickup has less output then a fred so that shouldn't b an issue also if your looking for that crunchy responsive palm mute. dont b worried about a neck pickup for that. Who uses their neck pickup when doing a metalish palmute rhythm i know i dont. I'd go Fred bridge/ evo neck.

Phil
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-11-2003, 12:36 PM

Actually, the FRED is a KILLER neck pickup in my RG-GEAR. Incredible tone, great clarity, perfectly balanced. I've found that the FRED really comes into it's own when used in a mahogany-bodied guitar though. I've had FREDs in a dozen or so mahogany guitars, and they've always sounded far better than they do in the basswood JS'. Likewise with the JS6s I've had, but...the fixed bridge kind of changes things in that case.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-17-2003, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaijem777
Actually, the FRED is a KILLER neck pickup in my RG-GEAR. Incredible tone, great clarity, perfectly balanced. I've found that the FRED really comes into it's own when used in a mahogany-bodied guitar though. I've had FREDs in a dozen or so mahogany guitars, and they've always sounded far better than they do in the basswood JS'. Likewise with the JS6s I've had, but...the fixed bridge kind of changes things in that case.
Could you compare it to, letīs say, the PAF Pro ?

Tags
air norton , air norton neck , bridge pickup , bridge pickups , bridge position , clean tone , custom exotic wood , evo pickups , evolution neck , fixed bridge , heavy metal , joe satriani , mahogany guitars , neck pickup , neck pickups , neck position , norton neck , paf pro , paf pros , palm mute , root beer jem , seymour duncan , super distortion , tone zone , tone zone bridge , usa custom exotic wood , zone bridge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode