Ibanez JEM Forum banner
2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  JJEMMER777 
#1 ·
1991 BFP. I think this is one of the most underrated Jems, maybe because it's not quite as garish as some (not that I object to that).

Went to try it out yesterday. All original aside from tone/vol knobs (the originals are in the case, but the paint has come off). Headstock has a few very small chips, fretboard has darkened - this is a guitar that has been heavily played and well loved - body condition excellent. Small neck pocket surface crack, no neck cracks.

The fretboard could be reconditioned and the chips filled, but I can't see this adding anything to a guitar that has developed a character over the years.

Plays beautifully. I'm looking forward to exploring the range of the PAF Pros as opposed to Evolutions.

The downside: I have reached my permitted maximum number of guitars, so something's got to go. My Gibsons have been getting less and less play, so it's going to be a sad farewell to the LP and SG. On the upside, that leaves room for one more and I'm thinking about an SXXX with a ZR and D-tuner. Korean only, but the one's I've looked at seem well enough made for the price (one is second-hand and very reasonable).

I'll bump this and post pictures once I collect the Jem.

See less See more
#2 ·
1991 BFP. I think this is one of the most underrated Jems, maybe because it's not quite as garish as some (not that I object to that)
You'll LOVE IT! :D I have a 91' BFP as well. I wouldn't say it's underrated at all, but rather has moved into the "rare" Jem category. Not so easy to find one these days. It's the only Jem with a vine on maple :D They play (and sound) brilliantly!!!!

CONGRATS!! :)

I'd post a pic of my 91, but this is your thread ;) Can't wait to hear your review and you MUST POST PICS or you'll be banned!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

~ROCK~

#3 ·
Aha! and welcome to the club, I waited years for my BFP (mostly because I couldn't afford one and partly because I couldn't find one.) I find the feel is quite different to my VWH, but I wouldn't say better or worse, just different.

Jim
'98 Jem7VWH
'91 Jem77BFP with GK-3
RG470FMR
Charvel EVH Art Series (red/white/black)
Burns Brian May
Epiphone G-1275 double neck
Epiphone Sheraton II

Laney VH100R
Boss GT-8
Roland GR-30
Roland VG-88
etc. etc....

#6 ·
Bump.

Well, it arrived last night - the night-time pics are appalling and I won't embarass myself by posting pics until I get some daytime shots.

Impressions: what's supposed to be wrong with the PAF Pros? They've got more bark than Evos, mid maybe a little weak but bridge and especially neck are excellent. Sounds great through my Laney, but haven't wound it up yet in view of the hour of arrival. Frets very slightly worn, considerably lower than newer guitars and combined with a fairly worn maple board playing seems to be a more tactile experience. The neck is excellent, both condition and feel-wise.

Top and back are in wonderful shape for a player's axe; a couple of small dings on the sides and headstock; fretboard quite worn and discoloured, I'll see what benzine can do, but the finish is gone in a few places. Neck pocket crack very superficial, a bit less than 1/2" long. Scarf joint perfect, no cracking around the nut screws. Hardware pretty good, finish faded on the trem, tuners and neckplate. Action low, a lot more solid than my 7VWH - feels almost like a Strat (the slightly thicker neck probably contributes). Trem needs reset, it's nosedived. Springs could maybe do with replacing, I'll see.

Definitely a keeper. This one is NOT leaving the house (unless there's a fire). I can see it becoming my favourite playing guitar. It was sold to me on the following condition: the seller gets first option if I ever decide to onsell it.

Seller is manager of my local wallet-drain and mentioned that he has heard rumours of a DNA in the country - he keeps nagging the owner to flog it off. I may have to part with at least one major organ, but that DNA will be mine one day.......

Until then I think I'll be very satisfied with the BFP.

Pics soon. I'm not going to restore to any great extent, but I'll do befores and afters.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.