Comparing Breeds and PAF Pros - ... characteristics - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-05-2001, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Comparing Breeds and PAF Pros - ... characteristics

I've never played a guitar with the PAF Pros before and I was wondering about it's characteristics compared the Breeds.

I've heard many say "give me PAF Pros hands down" but having never played one myself, it would be hard to understand.

Thanks... ~Donovan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-05-2001, 02:29 PM

Comparing Breeds and PAF Pros

My experience with PAF-Pro is that it sounds GREAT in the neck position. *I don't like it as much in the Bridge - the sound is a wee bit 'soft'....not involume, in tonal characteristice. *I don't know if that helps you.

I don't know from the Breeds....my combinationd of PAF-neck and EVo bridge works nicely.
~Kenny
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-05-2001, 03:38 PM

its all about personal preference!!
I actually LOVE the PAF pros!!
I have them in most of my guitars. i also like the duncan trembuckers as well but not before Dimarzio!

I have the Breeds in my UV and i was very impressed with them. In fact i like them so much that i tie them in 2nd place with the trembucker.

It really dependes on what you like. I like the softness of the PAF and i can can sqeeze very lush tones out of it. With the breed, its like an Evolution/PAF in one!! very nice. I used to play Evo's but realized i just didnt care for them... Kudos to Dimarzio for making the best p/ups in the biz!!\

I suggest you find a guitar, a nice one like yours if you have one or a similar type that you have, with a PAF in it, bring your amp and FX so you can really get the feel for it. if you like but arent sure, go to ebay or something and get a used one....

scott
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-05-2001, 07:24 PM

Try them and see for yourself
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-28-2001, 11:10 AM

PAFs to me, lack power compared to the breed. *you really have to hear them; night and day difference. *

breeds are tighter, brighter, and better for metal if you want the megadeth type tone. *also very great for dream theater tones. *

pafs are more thuddy....more muddy, no where nearly as tight. *they are good but lack power. *i'm picky. *that's my opinion.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-29-2001, 01:08 PM

just out of interest...
what are your thoughts on a Tone Zone in the bridge compared with a Breed ( I have a PAF Pro in the neck)-how do they compare?

cheers

Simon
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2001, 12:01 PM
rgr

The Breeds have tighter low end and more power, I would recommend them over the PAF Pros. *
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2001, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Quote: from vwall on 3:38 pm on April 5, 2001
With the breed, its like an Evolution/PAF in one
That explains it perfectly for me

Steve
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2001, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Quote: from vwall on 3:38 pm on April 5, 2001
With the breed, its like an Evolution/PAF in one!! very nice.
Hmmmmmmmmmmm......I wonder where they got the name "Breed" from?
Duh :sarcasm:
~K
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2001, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Quote: from cerealk on 12:08 pm on April 29, 2001
just out of interest...
what are your thoughts on a Tone Zone in the bridge compared with a Breed ( I have a PAF Pro in the neck)-how do they compare?

cheers

Simon

Remember, its all about preference. To me, the Tone Zones are a junky p/up. they sound very muddled and lack clarity.. just mushy, *I had on in my tiger usa custom and it sounded awful!. If you're looking for some screeching harmonics and pinch harmonics, I really suggest the Dimarzio Super 3's. I recently discovered them and they are great... * * * * *just for that. I am definitely throwing one of those in one of my guitars. But the main will always be the PAF pros and the Trembuckers and the Breeds!!

Give em all a try... if your intent on buying a pickup, some stores will let you buy it and if you don't like it *they will let you swap for a another at no extra charge..except the installation... I can put them in myself.. try to learn how to do it yourself. if you're in Houston, Rockin Robin and TME does this kind of swap out.

Scott
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2001, 10:19 PM

This is straight from the DiMarzio web site;

Evolution (B)----404mv *13.84k
Tone Zone (B)--375mv * 17.31k
Breed(B)--------356mv *17.07k
Paf Pro---------300mv * *8.4k

Given the low output and resistance of the Paf Pro, it wouldn't be my first choice for a bridge pickup. I have a Tone Zone in an RG and it sounds great. I also have the Breed in a Jem and it gives me great tone for those hairspray metal tunes.

My suggestion would be to NOT use a Paf Pro in the bridge. Any of the others would be a fine choice.

J>
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2001, 11:17 PM

I would seriously disagree with you there jimm. but thats OK It IS all about preference.

I have the charst as well and i do use them in making some of my choices. But for me and alot of other players, that PAF pro is excellent in the bridge position. i would'nt even consider it in the neck... not with so many better choices.
BTW, what style of music are you playing??? that also has a lot to do with a bridge p/u preference. My sound is very diverse, from satriani melodic to Pantera crunch. I get it all from the PAF. The only thing really lacking in it is the the harmonics and i am not too happy with that. thats why i like the Super 3 and the trembuckers and the Breeds but... with with all of those, you compromise a bit of your sound with each p/up.

Scott
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-01-2001, 01:58 AM

Ahhhhh....disagreement....the spice of life.

I, like you, go from melodic clean to insane crunch.
The most ironic thing is, in my 550 Dante Custom, I have the stock V8 and V7 that blow away the Breed and Tone Zone. Go figure that one.

But I will agree that the style of music played will dictate the pickup used. An X2N would not work playing soft jazz...but you never know.

The nice thing about having a few (read guitars is I get to experiment with different pickups.

If I want to play Queensriche, Vai or Satch I pick up the DBK (breeds). I want to crank on some Halen, the Dante (V. I want to tear into some Megadeth, the 3120 (tone zone). Love all the sounds.

In the LNG replica comming soon will be a Steve's Special. I can hardly wait for that one. I've never heard or played a SS before, so I'm looking forward to it. And just so you know...I'm pairing it up with....a Paf Pro....

Gotta run...Ice cream man is commin'

J>
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-01-2001, 03:02 AM

Make mine with garlic

Its SOOO funny you mentioned the V7 and V8, i was actually gonna say the same thing comparing them to the tone zone, but i felt like i was rambling a bit!!

...and I'm with you man! I think i have 15 or so guitars... i quit counting, i had over 30 but sold a bunch off on ebay over the last few months!. i love having a variety of pick ups and guitars. I had stated in another thread that i *mainly use the PAF in the bridge.. i do, but have actually been diversifying a bit more. i do/did favor the EMG 81's but not so much any more. i still keep it in my 86 ESP Lynch prototype and i still have the original Lynch p/up in the box with the multitudes of p/up's. I even have an old X2N from its first production years. i havent decided to use it yet.

I cant wait for the SS to come out either. I have never gotten to play on one of those before either..
You ever play on a super 3 ?? they are a little raw but for someone with lots of guitars it can be a great addition!!

scott
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-2001, 06:45 AM

Hey Jimm... a question for you! (and everybody who knows the answer!) In which way does the resistance affect the pickup characteristics?

Tags
bridge pickup , bridge position , evo bridge , neck position , paf pro , paf pros , pinch harmonics , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode