Complain to Steve about the JEM/UV LINEUP here (no long winded rants elsewhere) - Page 38 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #556 of 569 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 09:18 AM
Vendor

Re: Complain to Steve about the JEM/UV LINEUP here (no long winded rants elsewhere)

A Vai 7 string is going to be whatever Steve says it is, not what anybody else does. And of course he first reaches for Bruno, he's been playing it for almost 30 years.

The pyramids, came from the JEM, just as the dots came from the 550, as did the basswood. There is nothing that is only UV except the pickups.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #557 of 569 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 09:31 AM

Re: Complain to Steve about the JEM/UV LINEUP here (no long winded rants elsewhere)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenkamikaze7 View Post
I get the idea of making the JEM7V into a 7-string for the concept and for something different. However, it is NOT a Universe first and foremost - which is what the Vai signature model 7 has always been. Secondly, it is NOT a guitar that Steve himself uses for his 7-string when he reaches for one. He will grab his FTLOG burnt MC time and time again. Which only proves my point, that the originals are the true backbone of the line up, and that the new creation so are merely ploys and spin-off ideas trying to imitate and follow in the originals footsteps. If I wanted a JEM, I would buy a JEM. Why would or should I have to buy a JEM7V7, when I want what it's trying to be but isn't - a Universe??? It's not even close to a Universe - different body wood, additional routes that a UV doesn't have, different pickups, gold hardware which looks like total hell after a while when it fades, vine inlay instead of the traditional disappearing pyramids...
Perhaps the JEM7V7WH is not for you.
post #558 of 569 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenkamikaze7 View Post
So what could one expect to see and pay for as close to mint as possible 777GR now a days? Might want to make that a 2017 resolution if it's not unreasonable...
UV777GRs have been selling for anything between 3500 and 4500 US dollars in the last year...
That's what the trend has been , online at least.
post #559 of 569 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 09:21 AM

Exclamation Re: Complain to Steve about the JEM/UV LINEUP here (no long winded rants elsewhere)

I feel like I have been in a deep sleep and suddenly woke:

Glancing through the 2017 catalogue I notice the Japan JEM's had EDGE trems on, since when? Vai uses the LoPro Edge because he dislikes having the fine tuners close to his palm. So why has Ibanez adopted the "cheaper" trem? Looking back through the catalogue except a brief affair with the EdgePro Vai's JEMs both production an live have the LoPro Edge....

Only Satriani likes the original Edge and has consistently used that for decades. So it seems yet again Ibanez are moving the JEM flagship further away from what Vai actually uses. So his once true claim he could walk into any music shop take a JEM off the wall and gig with it is no longer true.

First we lost the ebony fingerboard, now the trem, then there was the vastly over priced farce that was the "bad horsie" JEM - a slightly modified 7DBK with a different top and paint which I cynically predicted would become the least collectible JEM...and now we have the "Premium" JEMs with only the 70V not having the Edge Zero II trem!!!

What is going on with Ibanez? There filling the fingerboards with weird woods like panga panga, cheap rosewood copies like baked maple, while Jackson/ESP/Schecter are producing JEM/RG550 (or should I say 655?) style guitars for less money with commonly ebony fingerboards proper floyd rose trems and even sustainers, yet Ibanez seems to be going backwards even the RG550 reissues don't have any real draw as better sounding old Rg550s can be bought for much less!

Even the signature artists number is shrinking and slowly more "less famous" people are getting "signature" guitars that are basically slightly modified S series and RG guitars.

Is this the end of the innovative Ibanez JEM/signature ranges? Even Kikos signature lost its scalloped frets..!

Ibanez HAD always been the only guitar company to sell a unique item from the artists design it was left too Jackson/Fender/Gibson et al to take a standard model change the pickups put the artists signature on the headstock and charge 3 times the price, maybe I should just go back to sleep and hope it is all just a bad dream...
post #560 of 569 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 12:43 PM
Vendor

Maybe you're still a bit groggy. Steve has been using an Edge on his main players for years.

You must forget every JEM had an EDGE before 1991.

Every manufacturer has had to find alternative to rosewood on several models because of the CITES ban
post #561 of 569 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 09:53 PM

Angry Re: Complain to Steve about the JEM/UV LINEUP here (no long winded rants elsewhere)

Here is my gripe: why is the JEM7VWH the longest running model? Or am I wrong? Is it only because Steve's main performance guitars are EVO and FLO and FLO II?

Have I mentioned that I hate gold hardware?

It also bothers me that part of Steve's motivation for creating the 7VWH was "wanting a more traditional look" (or something along those lines). WHAT?! You are Steve Vai! Pink, Yellow, Green, Eyeballs, Flames, Hearts! You put stickers all over your Stratocaster! You painted your cherryburst Charvel Slime Green! Traditional? When has Steve Vai ever been Traditional?

Rants/Gripes over...
MatiasTolkki likes this.
post #562 of 569 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 03:40 PM

I was soooooooo stoked when i was able to finally order the dream guitar i had wanted since i had started playing..
it finally arrived and noticed WTF its a rosewood fretboard.. apparently i got the model right after they quit making them with the ebony boards...
and yeah for the 3k price tag they STILL have on them, you think they would go back to that, or at least put a sustainer in it now standard, but no updates to the actual guitar itself for a long time.. its a killer axe but it does need to come down in price a bit
post #563 of 569 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarakuma1 View Post
I feel like I have been in a deep sleep and suddenly woke:

Glancing through the 2017 catalogue I notice the Japan JEM's had EDGE trems on, since when? Vai uses the LoPro Edge because he dislikes having the fine tuners close to his palm. So why has Ibanez adopted the "cheaper" trem? Looking back through the catalogue except a brief affair with the EdgePro Vai's JEMs both production an live have the LoPro Edge....

Only Satriani likes the original Edge and has consistently used that for decades. So it seems yet again Ibanez are moving the JEM flagship further away from what Vai actually uses. So his once true claim he could walk into any music shop take a JEM off the wall and gig with it is no longer true.

First we lost the ebony fingerboard, now the trem, then there was the vastly over priced farce that was the "bad horsie" JEM - a slightly modified 7DBK with a different top and paint which I cynically predicted would become the least collectible JEM...and now we have the "Premium" JEMs with only the 70V not having the Edge Zero II trem!!!

What is going on with Ibanez? There filling the fingerboards with weird woods like panga panga, cheap rosewood copies like baked maple, while Jackson/ESP/Schecter are producing JEM/RG550 (or should I say 655?) style guitars for less money with commonly ebony fingerboards proper floyd rose trems and even sustainers, yet Ibanez seems to be going backwards even the RG550 reissues don't have any real draw as better sounding old Rg550s can be bought for much less!

Even the signature artists number is shrinking and slowly more "less famous" people are getting "signature" guitars that are basically slightly modified S series and RG guitars.

Is this the end of the innovative Ibanez JEM/signature ranges? Even Kikos signature lost its scalloped frets..! Pnr Status TextNow VPN

Ibanez HAD always been the only guitar company to sell a unique item from the artists design it was left too Jackson/Fender/Gibson et al to take a standard model change the pickups put the artists signature on the headstock and charge 3 times the price, maybe I should just go back to sleep and hope it is all just a bad dream...
very interesting that exactly what i was search
thank you bro for sharing

Last edited by klimbo; 01-28-2019 at 12:17 PM.
post #564 of 569 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 08:50 PM

Hi, I recently bought a "Woodie" after mistakenly trading in my Blue Floral that I had owned, played and loved for years. I wish I had it back. The Woodie seems like a lesser guitar even though it has the latest line of Vai pickups(Dark matter). The sound is okay, but seems kind of muddy. The high E keeps slipping off the fingerboard even though I had it professionally set up. I never had anything like the same issues with the Blue Floral. The way it's set up now, the tremolo arm hits the volume knob. I sound whiny even to myself. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
post #565 of 569 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 11:39 AM

Okay, I got the trem set right. The high E seems to be stable. I tuned it up and locked it down. Started playing and.....boom, out of tune again. And not subtly out of tune, the low E jumped quite a bit higher. Unlocked it, got it tuned, locked it down and....bam, out of tune again. has anyone else had problems like this?
post #566 of 569 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 05:08 PM

I messed with it for a couple of hours today while waiting for the Superbowl. Low and behold I think I got all the issues worked out! I played for an hour or so and it sounded great, stayed in tune with dive bombs and pull ups. Never mind all the crap I wrote before...it sounds great!
post #567 of 569 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 05:30 PM

What was the issue?
post #568 of 569 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 04:00 PM

Premium Jem with Sustainiac please
Hoseki likes this.
post #569 of 569 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 06:05 AM

Talking Re: Complain to Steve about the JEM/UV LINEUP here (no long winded rants elsewhere)

Lol lol

Tags
aaa maple , abalone inlays , access neck joint , acoustic guitar , acrylic guitar , alder body , basswood body , basswood guitar , basswood guitars , billy sheehan , black headstock , body shape , buzz feiten , buzz feiten system , buzz feiten tuning system , chrome hardware , chrome jem , clear coat , crystal planet , custom shop , custom shop guitar , dave weiner , dbk jem , death metal , dimarzio paf , dimarzio paf pro , double edge trem , ebony board , ebony boards , ebony finger board , ebony fret board , ebony fretboard , ebony fretboards , edge bridge , edge pros , edge trem , edge trems , electric guitar , equipped guitar , eric clapton , eric johnson , eric johnson strat , ernie ball , evo pickups , evolution pickups , feiten system , feiten tuning system , fender custom shop , fender strat , fender stratocaster , fernandes sustainer , finger board , fingerboard wood , fixed bridge , flame maple , floyd rose , frank gambale , fret board , fretboard wood , fretless guitar , george benson , gibson les paul , guitar players , guitar playing , guitar tech , heavy metal , herc fede , horsie jem , ibanez dealer , ibanez edge trem , ibanez guitars , ibanez jem , ibanez models , ibanez neck , jack socket , jackson soloist , jem custom , jem neck , jimmy page , joe satriani , john petrucci , john scofield , kerry king , kirk hammet , kirk hammett , led inlays , les paul , les paul custom , les pauls , local music store , locking nut , locking nuts , locking stud , locking stud mod , locking studs , maple fret , maple fretboard , monkey grip , music store , neck evo , neck joint , neck joints , neck pickup , neck pickups , paf joe , paf pro , paul gilbert , pearloid pickguard , petrucci model , pro edge , production model , pyramid inlay , pyramid inlays , quilted maple , randy rhoads , recessed trem , reversed headstock , road flare red , root beer jem , rosewood board , rosewood boards , sam ash , sharktooth inlay , sharktooth inlays , signature guitar , signature strat , sounding guitar , srv strat , stainless steel frets , standard jem , steel frets , steve stevens , steve vai , string guitars , super strat , swirl jem , swirled jem , triple neck , truss rod , truss rod cover , tuning system , vwh paint

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode