Confussed about JEMs on Auction sites. - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 02:04 AM Thread Starter

Confussed about JEMs on Auction sites.

afternoon all,
Last week i had the chance to play a JEM7V guitar and i loved it. The owner told me that there might be a chance of picking 1 up cheaper off the net. After looking around i found that there was a lot of guitars being sold out of China. After further descussion with the owner of the JEM that i played i learnt that there is 2 different Models. 1 with the full vine from Fret 1 onwards (The Japanise version) and another one with the vine starting on fret 3 and ending @ fret 12 (Chinese version).
I was then looking at different pictures of these guitars. I found a couple off the internet that look like this on the back.

Above: Picture found on the internet that looks 2 me like the real thing.
Below: Pictures from Auction sites that don't look right. The diffences in the guitars is outlined with red.
The dials are a gold color, not white.

There dosen't seem to be the slots in the back cover plate where you can see the springs. Dose this mean it has a cheaper tremolo system that dosent have the same features? Yet it appears to have a serial number on the back of the headstock.

Other than those two diffences would these guitars be JEM7Vs or fakes, or just an older model/different model all together?
It would be handly to know what others have 2 say/think about this subject.
Are these guitars worth spending $300+ (AUD) or should i just wait around for a decent one? Has anyone got one of these guitars and if so how does it fair up?

Regards
--
Andrew Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 02:21 AM

Re: Confussed about JEMs on Auction sites.

Anything coming from China is one of two things: 1) a counterfeit or 2) a Jem 333 a legit, low-cost Ibanez produced to combat the counterfeits.

There's been much discussion lately on the counterfeits, use the search function. You'll find plenty of pics. Generally, when you look at one of the fakes, you can tell because some things are just off, i.e. routing sucks, wrong knobs, etc.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 03:06 AM Thread Starter

Thanks i managed to find some theards using "counterfeit" as the search term.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 02:30 PM

http://www.ibanezrules.com/fakes.htm

they are crap guitars and theres a lot more wrong with them than just what you noticed. And yeah, the tremolo is totally different
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 03:44 AM

Reviews: 13

Either way DON'T support these clowns by buying their fake crap.

Tags
tremolo system

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode