Considering A JEM7V WH - Need Opinion on Flexability of Tone - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2004, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Considering A JEM7V WH - Need Opinion on Flexability of Tone

I seriously considering getting a JEM7V WH. I have a strat style mutt with an Ibanez neck, older Floyd Rose, Seymour Duncan C5, that I like the feel of and a Les Paul that is now a tone monster thanks to a change to the '59's. I am wondering (hoping) thisJEM will give me the tones I am after as well.

For example, my Les Paul has Seymour Duncan ‘59’s in the neck and bridge (had EMG 85’s). I play through a 1978 Marshall 50w Master Volume that was modded by Jim Demeter back in the mid 80’s and I recently switched from 6550’s to EL34’s. This goes to a 1x12 “De-tuned” speaker cabinet loaded with an EV Force12 driver. I mention this because my tonal taste has changed over the years and I now prefer the mellower tone this combination offers and that it allows the timber of the instrument to shine through.

It’s more “musical”.

I now find myself writing music that has tonal characteristics from traditional blues, jazz, early Scorpions (Lonesome Crow), Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughn all the way to progressive rock (ala Steve Vai). Having been used to a higher output, metal/hard rock sounding pickup and amp I am now enjoying the tone of the above mentioned.

Will the JEM7V WH provide this spectrum?

I have a good deal of confidence it will because of what we hear Mr. Vai playing with his. But he has a lot of tools to shape his sound as needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2004, 05:58 PM

Most everyone with a VWH absolutely loves it, myself included with one exception. The pickups are extremely high output and very "extreme" sounding in the bridge. The evolution bridge is just too brittle for me so I'm thinking of backing off to something different, probably a Paf pro. I've got tonezones and steve specials covered in other guitars. With the alder body and the overly aggressive bridge pickup, I find it harsh and just a touch over the top for my tastes. In the neck position the evolution is really nice so no change there for me.

Just my opinion, fantastic guitar with an outstanding feel and quality...just too harsh for me in the bridge, it's livable but not perfect...easy fix.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2004, 08:26 PM

I just bought a JEM7 vwh today, and it is a fabulous peice of equipment. This is my 4th Ibanez guitar, and you could say that I am addicted to them. I've had some fairly good guitars in the past, but none of them do it for me like an Ibanez. Right now, I have a Les Paul, an RG 620x, and a *cough* RG270 *cough*. I run them through 2 different amps at the present time. I just got rid of a Marshall TSL 100, and bought an ENGL Powerball. i also have a Peavey 5150 head, and matching cabinet. I bought a Mesa Boogie straight Recto cabinet today also, and this guitar sounds great though all of them. However, I like the sound of my RG620x better though, I replaved the V7 with a DiMarzio "tone zone" and I absolutely love this pickup. It has the best crunch I've heard. I have to agree with the previous poster, the "evo" in the bridge is just a *little* harsh (I guess thats the word I am looking for). It still has crunch, but there is a frequency or 2 that is just a tad hot. Again, this is a matter of opinion.

By the way, The looks of this guitar are absolutely STUNNING! This is without a doubt, the best looking JEM in my book. Running right along side of it is the JEM10th. If you buy this guitar, I think you'll like it. I am polishing mine as we speak.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2004, 06:06 AM Thread Starter

Excellent, descriptive opinions guy's. Thank you very much.

I guess I was too worried about the bridge pup being too "Hot". That can be easily fixed if needed. My only other concern was the Ebony fingerboard. I've only used Rose wood.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2004, 06:40 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
In truth I thinkthat the JEM7VWH pretty muchsounds like early/mid 90s Vai, particlarly the Sex and Religion and Alien Love Secrets recordings.

I'd agree that it's a very brittle, crisp sound, but I've always thought you can tame this sort of sound, but you can't dial it back in if the guitar doesn't have it to start with without it sounding synthetic.

the ebony board adds still more crispness, if you'reworried about this andprefer the feelof rosewood, look at the Blue JEM7 instead
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 08:43 AM

the Evo neck pup on the VWH is very similar to a PAF pro. its a high output pup, but sounds very musical. especially if you make sure its not too close to the strings. the bridge pup is probably a little too high output for you, it certainly is for me, though can sound pretty nice quite some distance away from the strings. mines about 5mm away (much like Vai's on EVO I noticed). worst possible scenario, you could change it for something a little less hot like a FRED (as used by Joe Sat).

it's a great sounding guitar, and pretty versatile. when set at pos 2 and 4 on the switch, the humbuckers are single coils in pair with the mid single coil, so you get strat-ish tones. i love my VWH. but I still have a PRS McCarty loaded with Santana Zebra's for the Les Paul like tones. And I often think about replacing the bridge pup in the VWH for a FRED.

i'd never describe it as brittle and crisp. infact its quite bass and mid driven.

fingerboard wise, I've pretty much always been a rosewood guy too, but to be honest, other than its looks, I dont really feel or hear any difference between ebony and rosewood. certainly not in the same way as I did with ebony on Gibsons, which I always thought was kinda plastic like. its very evidently wood on the 7VWH.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 09:10 AM

this is just a quick 2cents on the bridge evo.

i have a vbsl and the bridge evo rules simply coz i lowed it quite alot, its taken away its harsh highs and given a realy nice bridge pup with good deffinition and enough kick without being harsh at all.

just thought i would mention it
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Once again, great info guy's. I'm really gaining confidence in this guitar. I am also leaning towards a used one that is in "like new" condition to save a few bucks.

Tags
alder body , bridge pickup , bridge pup , ebony board , ebony fingerboard , engl powerball , evolution bridge , floyd rose , ibanez neck , les paul , marshall tsl , mesa boogie , neck position , neck pup , paf pro , prs mccarty , recto cab , seymour duncan , sounding guitar , speaker cab , steve vai , stevie ray , stevie ray vaughn , strat style , tone monster , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode