controlled feedback - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2003, 01:34 AM Thread Starter

controlled feedback

how does joe get that nice feedback on those long notes in the song "Love Thing"? Is he using a coil tap? I have only been playing for under a year so I am new to most of this stuff?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2003, 03:57 PM

The songbook says he leaves his elbow (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
in a strategic point of the G string if I´m not wrong.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2003, 05:08 PM

loud amp is the key
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2003, 06:42 PM

The only time i can get feedback is by cranking the volume on my cheap solid state, and putting the pickup right near the amp.

Someone said to me a while back joe uses a Boss pedal called a CS or somthing, Compression/Sustain to sqeeze all the ****nitz out of the signal, anyone know if thats true?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2003, 06:53 PM

nope.... nope.... and nope....

Feedback can actually be attained at even modest volumes... its all about control and angle of pickups vs. speakers...

To my knowledge, I don't know if satch even has a noise gate/compressor in his signal chain (at least I've never heard anyone mention it on here...)

Volume does have a part to play at those volumes, but with guys like Steve Vai and Joe Satriani, who both use feedback to great effect... they are constantly changing their position on the stage and the angle of the pickups towards the speakers...

Go on, turn up to a modest volume... stand in front of your amp and move your guitar around until it starts to feedback... have fun!

kev
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2003, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

I know that there is a bunch of ways to get feedback like you all said, but i think i just figured it out, i have been tryin for a couple days. Since he is using a wah pedal in the song, I used my dunlop crybaby and when i push it all the way forward, not off, and I hold a note, it starts feeding back perfectly just like in the song, and i can do it anywhere in my house, it doesn't matter how close i am to the amp. try it.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2003, 09:42 PM
Vendor

Wah always helps, but remember they rarely use their amps for feedback. They usually use the monitors. Joe will map out the stage during sound check to find the sweet spots and they will be marked on the floor with tape so he knows right where they are
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2003, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern
The songbook says he leaves his elbow (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
in a strategic point of the G string if I´m not wrong.
I would imagine it says Ebow, not Elbow. An Ebow is an electronic device you hold over the strings to vibrate them instead of picking them.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
Wah always helps, but remember they rarely use their amps for feedback. They usually use the monitors. Joe will map out the stage during sound check to find the sweet spots and they will be marked on the floor with tape so he knows right where they are
Yeah, you can see them on the floor in the San Fran DVD.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
Exactly, and I bet this is also why Eric Johnson wears those goofy headphones on stage, he probably thought Joe's monitors were too loud.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 01:44 PM

i think eric was to quiet on the g3 dvd....
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 08:28 PM
eg

Re: controlled feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitejem
how does joe get that nice feedback on those long notes in the song "Love Thing"? Is he using a coil tap? I have only been playing for under a year so I am new to most of this stuff?
I love the tone in that song. How about you guys?
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-2003, 01:53 AM Thread Starter

Ya so do I, thats why I was wondering what a coil tap is, too. does it switch the humbuckers into single coils or what? I don't have a clue. But I do know that the tone in that song is awesome.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-2003, 04:20 AM

why do you guys think he has like 10 monitor boxes standing around him?

that said, i'm gonna tell ya something my dad taught me:
"a marshall is properly adjusted when all the knobs are at 10"

that's prolly a bit past, but still... if you play louder you get more feedback and i doubt most of you play as loud as joe does when playing live

a very important aspect of his superb sound is feedback (except for thousands of thousands of dollars for effects )... since i got my jcm800 1960a box i can't resist turning up the knobs... as soon as i TAP the string and hold it for 1-2 seconds it starts feedbacking... (am quite near to it, due to small room). the aim is now to play without hearing the actual screaming feedback... makes my sound more... complete, full, call it what ya like...

my 0,00$
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-2003, 07:52 PM

if you want feedback no matter where you are or how loud......get a sustainer kit installed in your guitar. Ever see Vai work his sustainer on "Flo"??

I'd like to stick one in my JS but can't find anyone around here that can install one.

Tags
boss pedal , coil tap , dunlop crybaby , eric johnson , joe satriani , steve vai , wah pedal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode