Costum 555 vs 7VWH - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 05:17 AM Thread Starter

Costum 555 vs 7VWH

Hey there
I'm planning to buy a Jem555 and costumize it with a new trem (lo pro edge of course and maybe scaloped frets. My question is, after the mod, how will the 555 play in comparision to a 7VWH? Since i dont have the $ to buy a VWH,(the Jem7's are way to overpriced here in the EU) and since there are no used ones around, it seems like the best option for me...
I'd very much like some comment on my thoughts here;D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 05:40 AM

Where in EU do you live?
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 05:49 AM Thread Starter

right here in holland
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 07:54 AM

Right before I bought my Jem 7, I had the same idea. So I kinda shopped around in all the guitar shops I could find in Paris. ALL the salesguys told me the same thing: "if you wanna mod a Jem555 to get it closer to the Jem 7, you better buy a higher end RG which actually already has the lo pro edge and just change the PUs."
Cost wise, a higher end RG like the RG 550EX sells somewhere around 1000 euros, two hum+1 single Di Marzio Evos will cost you around 400 euros max. So you're basically in for 1400 euros
If you get a Jem 555 and mod it, you'll already be paying some 1200/1300 euros for it, add another 400 euros for the lo pro and you have your guitar at 1600/1700 euros.
Now...I understand that the wood quality is definitely not the same on the the higher end RGs and the Jem 555 (jem555 wood is said to be of poorer quality). We all know that the density and quality of wood matters, so...
But we still are left with the "looks" factor. If you want your guitar to have the monkey grip and the vine of life feature, then I think you know what you have to do!
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the info rabin! Out here in holland the jem555 only costs 1100 euros, with a trem price of 300. Altogether that makes 1400, which is still almost half the price of a JEM7. the difference with a solid RG stays about 200 euros, but im willing to pay that price for the best looking guitar ever made;D
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 08:24 AM

i have done some mods to my 555, mother or pearl truss rod cover, and back plates, gold tuners, lock nut and string tree, and gold Lo-Pro trem, the result is a great looking and great playing ( if you know how to set it up ) guitar. Its not a 7VWH, but then again, i dont have the luxury of the prices our American cousins afford , i would say go ahead and do it, i had an RG560, and to be honest, it didnt feel like a Jem, sure it had a real nice trem etc but it wasnt ... well ... i dunno. People bring the 555 down, but a guitar is only as good as the person playing it so ... go for it !! i am sure you wont be dissapointed, maybe i should dig out my digicam and post some pics
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

hehe, im pretty much convinced by that post Could you please take a shot or two? im pretty anxious to see yours
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 10:34 AM

I've seen a Jem7VWH secondhand for 1500 euro's in Belgium. This is the best option. Look for a real secondhand instead of making a lookalike...
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 11:23 AM

That's definitly a good idea... "a real secondhand instead of making a lookalike"...
It could be expensive but in a way it worths it!
js
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 12:45 AM

Athlon, can you post some pics of your guitar?
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabin
Now...I understand that the wood quality is definitely not the same on the the higher end RGs and the Jem 555 (jem555 wood is said to be of poorer quality). We all know that the density and quality of wood matters, so...

This isn't quite true, basswood is basswood is basswood, it all is very good, and it all sucks, what I mean is, it's a very consistent wood, and the Wood in the 555 and RG's is the same wood that's in a Jem. Where it's bad, is Basswood in itself is just not the greatest wood, it's got an even tone, and it's light, I believe the weight was a big factor in Steve's original choice and it allows for better guitar aerobatics.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 07:49 AM

And ease of cutting?
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

i think ill wait a bit with swapping tremolos, i gotta get me an edge 1!
I really hope it'll retrofit, otherwise id have to do even more routing
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 04:18 PM

wood that has dried 200 years is more stable and sounds better than new wood. I don't know if they do it with the cheap and the expensive Jem.

So the electronics are quite the same. If the body is the same wood, is it only the tremolo that makes the difference and the name difference?

Isn't the neck a different wood?
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 04:43 PM

yup, wood that has dried 200 years would be great, but almost all production guitars are kiln dried wood that if it's 6 months old you are lucky.
The only difference in the necks really is the inlay, still a maple neck with rosewood fingerboard, although I will admit the rosewood they choose for the 555 boards isn't as nice.

Basically, the only real difference between the 555 and the 7 Series is the inlay and trems. Also, quality Control, this is why some 555's are really good, and others suck. Korean quality control isn't as great, but basswood is basswood, in terms of cutting, Ibanez doesn't care, they have CNC machines that do everything.

One other point of interest, wood doesn't sound better with age, it sounds better with density. Totally dried wood gives a purer tone, but it's not the amount of drying time that creates that better tone, you could have a 5000 year old piece of wood (assuming it hasn't rotted awayLOL) and it could be a totally porous piece of crap, while a 4 month old kiln dried piece is solid, dense, and consistent, and will sound great.
Even PRS and those guys use kiln dried wood, there simply isn't enough time to let wood cure for hundreds of years. Most wood used in guitar manufacturing is about 1 year old.

But basswood will never sound like a denser wood no matter how long it's dried, it's a light wood, and always will be

Tags
basswood body , edge trem , guitar shop , les paul , lock nut , lopro trem , maple neck , monkey grip , paf pro , paf pro pickups , pro edge , pro pickups , rosewood fingerboard , string tree , truss rod , truss rod cover

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

how to setup a jem 7vwh
will an original floyd rose fit into jem 7vwh?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode