Crack in a Ebony Fretboard - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Crack in a Ebony Fretboard

Ok I've found a Jem with a crack in the Fretboard, down by the 22-24 frets.
Its a vertical crack goind down the board length wise. If I were to oil the baord a lot would this crack possibly close up? Or would this crack not really affect the strength of the fretboard?

Thanks

Seth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Re: Crack in a Ebony Fretboard

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 10:38 AM

yikes. have you taken the neck off to see what it looks like from underneath? i've never seen that happen and wonder if it just got too dry and split?

i will guess that it can be filled depending on what it looks like when you take it off.

some others will pipe in with some help shortly i'm sure.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 10:51 AM

It wouldn't close up, but it did likely get that way due to dryness. I think I would put a drop of crazy glue on the trem facing side of the fretboard, and then just treat it right from now on. I've seen a number of ebony boards with cracks and they (the cracks) are generally harmless. Difficult to look at and not worry about maybe, but not a problem.

So, did you finally get your VWH or is this one a "maybe"?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
I've seen a number of ebony boards with cracks and they (the cracks) are generally harmless.
Yeah, unless kept well oiled, Ebony seems to crack more than other neck woods. But as Jim said, the cracks are generally harmless.

I had a crack in my vwh board on the EXACT same area. In fact...are you sure that wasn't a pic I took a few years back???? I think the scalloping has something to do with it.

Drop a small bit of superglue at the point where the crack is still running to stop it. I then filled mine with some ebony colored wood filler and you can't even tell it was ever there! The crack has not run any further at this point and that was probably 3 years ago.

The key to ebony is to keep it WELL OILED

www.fretdoctor.com
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 03:19 PM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJEMMER777 View Post
Yeah.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 03:40 PM

Haha....i tried out that guitar...is it in Jersey? I almost bought that guitar and noticed the crack in the fretboard. I figured it somehow got cracked due to dropping the guitar b/c there was a nice size chip missing from the jack area. Good thing i noticed the crack b/c someone would of been very pissed buying that guitar! By the way it was a nice playing guitar, too bad the ebony was cracked b/c i was gonna walk away with that one.....
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 03:44 PM

By the way, the crack runs totally through the ebony portion of the fingerboard. I inspected the neck and it looked fine to me...so maybe the board was dry and cracked, don't know. I looked straight down the neck of the guitar (holding the guitar at eye level), that's how i noticed that the crack is all the way through the ebony fingerboard. Just wanted to let some of you fellow jemsters know whats up with this one before someone owns it.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
It wouldn't close up, but it did likely get that way due to dryness. I think I would put a drop of crazy glue on the trem facing side of the fretboard, and then just treat it right from now on. I've seen a number of ebony boards with cracks and they (the cracks) are generally harmless. Difficult to look at and not worry about maybe, but not a problem.

So, did you finally get your VWH or is this one a "maybe"?
Its a maybe, or actually a probably not.

Seth
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJEMMER777 View Post
Drop a small bit of superglue at the point where the crack is still running to stop it. I then filled mine with some ebony colored wood filler and you can't even tell it was ever there! The crack has not run any further at this point and that was probably 3 years ago.
That is the way to fix it. Find a hobby store and ask for thin CA glue (superglue). You can get thick or thin, you want thin like water. You can mix in ebony dust or wood filler to match and this makes the repair almost undetectable.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 06:25 PM

I'd say it's a fault in the Ebony, just looking at it - that sort of crack just wouldn't be possible through the Maple of the neck without lterally destroying the instrument in the process. Ebony is subject to cracking and splintering - it is a very brittle, hard wood - the most likely standard cure via a luthier would be to run thinned superglue in to the crack to stabilise it, then fill the crack with a paste of glue and Ebony powder, sand and smooth the surface when it dries.

It probably makes no difference to the playability of the guitar, and you could easily get it remedied when you eventually get the instrument refretted

Stewert Macdonald sells all sorts of amazing varieties of superglu to help you with this process by the way.

Cheers

David
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 03:40 AM

I'm glad I oil mine at every string change. That totally sucks, but it's not fatal. Invest in some Bore Oil, it's not expensive and works the best.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 09:03 AM

if the guitar is in good shape, you might be able to get a really good deal on it. it sounds like it can easily be repaired and you would end up with a little more desirable older ebony boarded VWH for possibly a nice price.
i ended up with my '90 777VBK for $800 because of a neck crack at the nut that i personally repaired after reading Ibanezrules tech pages and it has had ZERO issues and plays like a dream. i think it is like getting a pet at a shelter and after some TLC it becomes an important part of the family that you actually share a nice bond for life.... maybe i thought about this a little TOO much.
i say get it if it is a good price and has no other real issues.

Tags
ebony board , ebony boards , ebony fingerboard , playing guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode