At a crossroads with my JEMFP - Advice! - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

At a crossroads with my JEMFP - Advice!

So I am at a point where I may have to sell my JEMFP...I don't want too, but the cash sure would help. I have a buyer - who is a friend, the plan is to sell it with the stipulation that I get first dibs to buy it back IF - IF - he should decide to sell it. I am worried that even with selling it, we won't get ahead on our $$$ and just be in the same boat next month - looking for something else to sell to make ends meat.

Should I sell it - or not? It is MINT! I have had it since 96' special ordered from a local guitar shop that orderd it from Ibanez...is this one of those worth holding onto? Or if my future $$$ turns around - will I be able to find one with no problems? I also don't want to sell it now for my price, and then find in a few years it will cost me $5k to buy it back.

You guys know best - what do you think?

Thanks in advance!

--Rodzo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 02:00 AM

Reviews: 4
Re: At a crossroads with my JEMFP - Advice!

I say no, don't sell it, find something else.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 02:00 AM

Reviews: 7

well its up to u man, time is hard now, if you realy need the cash sell it ,its just a guitar,
if you can make it with out selling it, so keep it.(if i need cash i would sell it).
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 04:05 AM

Reviews: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodzo View Post
So I am at a point where I may have to sell my JEMFP...I don't want too, but the cash sure would help. I have a buyer - who is a friend, the plan is to sell it with the stipulation that I get first dibs to buy it back IF - IF - he should decide to sell it. I am worried that even with selling it, we won't get ahead on our $$$ and just be in the same boat next month - looking for something else to sell to make ends meat.

Should I sell it - or not? It is MINT! I have had it since 96' special ordered from a local guitar shop that orderd it from Ibanez...is this one of those worth holding onto? Or if my future $$$ turns around - will I be able to find one with no problems? I also don't want to sell it now for my price, and then find in a few years it will cost me $5k to buy it back.

You guys know best - what do you think?

Thanks in advance!

--Rodzo
Firstly, unless a huge amount of these are damaged/destroyed in the next few years, the price should stay constant with most other jems. Although a mint one may be more difficult to lay your hands on! I don't think there is any danger that they will hit $5k

If the $$$ situation is that desperate then you have to do what you must. Although if you have real problems maybe talk to a fifnacial adviser. As you say, you might have nothing left to sell next month!

I hope this all works out for you, and if you do sell the Jem then there are always more out there in years to come.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 08:31 AM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: At a crossroads with my JEMFP - Advice!

I have had moments where money was real tight and I have had to sell off a lot of my music stuff, guitars included. The one thing I said I would never sell, is my 89 FP. It is dinged up and has been beaten over the years, but has never missed a gig since I got it! It holds a magical place in my heart, and due to the wear is probably worth less than most FP's...Everything else I own is just a guitar, and would sell them in a minute to make things better...And yes if it came down to the security of my family, I would sell that FP as well! Of course that would be after I exhausted every other opportunity to sell things, or get a part time job.
Good luck!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADTUNES666 View Post
I have had moments where money was real tight and I have had to sell off a lot of my music stuff, guitars included. The one thing I said I would never sell, is my 89 FP. It is dinged up and has been beaten over the years, but has never missed a gig since I got it! It holds a magical place in my heart, and due to the wear is probably worth less than most FP's...Everything else I own is just a guitar, and would sell them in a minute to make things better...And yes if it came down to the security of my family, I would sell that FP as well! Of course that would be after I exhausted every other opportunity to sell things, or get a part time job.
Good luck!
I think I`d sell my ar** first, its probably less painful
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 12:42 PM

Well, unfortunately i,m in the same boat you are in, i went upside down on a business deal and now forced to sell my jem vhw. The way i look at it is if you love it let it go and if it comes back to you then it was trully meant to be yours.
It still hurts when you are forced to do anything, but in my life somehow things come across my path more than once. If you keep yours eyes and ears open you will come across that guitar again and maybe at a better deal then the original.
good luck!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 03:49 PM

No material possession is worth the stress that lack of money can cause.

I do not think there is anything in my house that I would not part with should I not be able to make ends meet.

(except my cat and he has his days!!!)
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

This is old...and not that anyone cares...

I KEPT IT!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 02:24 AM

thats good!i have a few guitars ill never sell.otherthings i sell in a hardbeat.and dont sell it to friends to buy it back,dont take the risk you get a fight about it.or i sell it cheap to a friend and never look back to it.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 07:07 AM
Banned

if in doubt dont sell it,you will only regret it.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 09:18 AM

It's not that old FPs in nice condition do seem to pull a fair amount more money than VWHs, and I think VWHs are actually nicer guitars (especially with the ebony boards) for the most part. Either way though, there are lots of both floating around, they aren't rare or anything.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodzo View Post
This is old...and not that anyone cares...

I KEPT IT!

I care! good call!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 01:00 PM

Reviews: 2

I'd sell the car before I sell my guitars. You get more money for a car anyways.

Plus there's always a lot of junk around houses that would equal a good amount of cash if sold. For example, my house has a rarely used treadmill, a never used gym, and an air hockey/ pool table combo that, when is set up, spends all its time as storage space. And I'm sure that a sofa or 2 could be parted with. And that's just the valuable junk

Good call on not selling it, btw.

Tags
floral , jem , jemfp , pattern , vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode