At a crossroads with my JEMFP - Advice! - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Plainfield, IL
Posts: 352
At a crossroads with my JEMFP - Advice!

So I am at a point where I may have to sell my JEMFP...I don't want too, but the cash sure would help. I have a buyer - who is a friend, the plan is to sell it with the stipulation that I get first dibs to buy it back IF - IF - he should decide to sell it. I am worried that even with selling it, we won't get ahead on our $$$ and just be in the same boat next month - looking for something else to sell to make ends meat.

Should I sell it - or not? It is MINT! I have had it since 96' special ordered from a local guitar shop that orderd it from Ibanez...is this one of those worth holding onto? Or if my future $$$ turns around - will I be able to find one with no problems? I also don't want to sell it now for my price, and then find in a few years it will cost me $5k to buy it back.

You guys know best - what do you think?

Thanks in advance!

--Rodzo
Rodzo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 02:00 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 978
Reviews: 4
Re: At a crossroads with my JEMFP - Advice!

I say no, don't sell it, find something else.
dccomputersa is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 02:00 AM
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: california
Posts: 295
Reviews: 7
Re: At a crossroads with my JEMFP - Advice!

well its up to u man, time is hard now, if you realy need the cash sell it ,its just a guitar,
if you can make it with out selling it, so keep it.(if i need cash i would sell it).
SHAIBANEZ is offline  
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 04:05 AM
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 2,561
Reviews: 34
Re: At a crossroads with my JEMFP - Advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodzo View Post
So I am at a point where I may have to sell my JEMFP...I don't want too, but the cash sure would help. I have a buyer - who is a friend, the plan is to sell it with the stipulation that I get first dibs to buy it back IF - IF - he should decide to sell it. I am worried that even with selling it, we won't get ahead on our $$$ and just be in the same boat next month - looking for something else to sell to make ends meat.

Should I sell it - or not? It is MINT! I have had it since 96' special ordered from a local guitar shop that orderd it from Ibanez...is this one of those worth holding onto? Or if my future $$$ turns around - will I be able to find one with no problems? I also don't want to sell it now for my price, and then find in a few years it will cost me $5k to buy it back.

You guys know best - what do you think?

Thanks in advance!

--Rodzo
Firstly, unless a huge amount of these are damaged/destroyed in the next few years, the price should stay constant with most other jems. Although a mint one may be more difficult to lay your hands on! I don't think there is any danger that they will hit $5k

If the $$$ situation is that desperate then you have to do what you must. Although if you have real problems maybe talk to a fifnacial adviser. As you say, you might have nothing left to sell next month!

I hope this all works out for you, and if you do sell the Jem then there are always more out there in years to come.
nickcoumbe is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 08:31 AM
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Dunmore, PA
Posts: 2,325
Reviews: 12
Red face Re: At a crossroads with my JEMFP - Advice!

I have had moments where money was real tight and I have had to sell off a lot of my music stuff, guitars included. The one thing I said I would never sell, is my 89 FP. It is dinged up and has been beaten over the years, but has never missed a gig since I got it! It holds a magical place in my heart, and due to the wear is probably worth less than most FP's...Everything else I own is just a guitar, and would sell them in a minute to make things better...And yes if it came down to the security of my family, I would sell that FP as well! Of course that would be after I exhausted every other opportunity to sell things, or get a part time job.
Good luck!
DEADTUNES666 is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 12:07 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: manchester
Posts: 71
Re: At a crossroads with my JEMFP - Advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADTUNES666 View Post
I have had moments where money was real tight and I have had to sell off a lot of my music stuff, guitars included. The one thing I said I would never sell, is my 89 FP. It is dinged up and has been beaten over the years, but has never missed a gig since I got it! It holds a magical place in my heart, and due to the wear is probably worth less than most FP's...Everything else I own is just a guitar, and would sell them in a minute to make things better...And yes if it came down to the security of my family, I would sell that FP as well! Of course that would be after I exhausted every other opportunity to sell things, or get a part time job.
Good luck!
I think I`d sell my ar** first, its probably less painful
shredder1 is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 12:42 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Houston,Texas
Posts: 215
Re: At a crossroads with my JEMFP - Advice!

Well, unfortunately i,m in the same boat you are in, i went upside down on a business deal and now forced to sell my jem vhw. The way i look at it is if you love it let it go and if it comes back to you then it was trully meant to be yours.
It still hurts when you are forced to do anything, but in my life somehow things come across my path more than once. If you keep yours eyes and ears open you will come across that guitar again and maybe at a better deal then the original.
good luck!
Robstar is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 03:49 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 2,647
Re: At a crossroads with my JEMFP - Advice!

No material possession is worth the stress that lack of money can cause.

I do not think there is anything in my house that I would not part with should I not be able to make ends meet.

(except my cat and he has his days!!!)
satchmo72 is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Plainfield, IL
Posts: 352
Re: At a crossroads with my JEMFP - Advice!

This is old...and not that anyone cares...

I KEPT IT!
Rodzo is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 02:24 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: overthere
Posts: 1,785
Re: At a crossroads with my JEMFP - Advice!

thats good!i have a few guitars ill never sell.otherthings i sell in a hardbeat.and dont sell it to friends to buy it back,dont take the risk you get a fight about it.or i sell it cheap to a friend and never look back to it.
brianxtr is offline  
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 07:07 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: newcastle.england
Posts: 2,575
Re: At a crossroads with my JEMFP - Advice!

if in doubt dont sell it,you will only regret it.
rob777vdy is offline  
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 09:18 AM
Moderator
 
jim777's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Blackwood, NJ
Posts: 9,596
Re: At a crossroads with my JEMFP - Advice!

It's not that old FPs in nice condition do seem to pull a fair amount more money than VWHs, and I think VWHs are actually nicer guitars (especially with the ebony boards) for the most part. Either way though, there are lots of both floating around, they aren't rare or anything.
jim777 is offline  
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 12:38 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Houston
Posts: 69
Re: At a crossroads with my JEMFP - Advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodzo View Post
This is old...and not that anyone cares...

I KEPT IT!

I care! good call!
Blacksunshine is offline  
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 01:00 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 536
Reviews: 2
Re: At a crossroads with my JEMFP - Advice!

I'd sell the car before I sell my guitars. You get more money for a car anyways.

Plus there's always a lot of junk around houses that would equal a good amount of cash if sold. For example, my house has a rarely used treadmill, a never used gym, and an air hockey/ pool table combo that, when is set up, spends all its time as storage space. And I'm sure that a sofa or 2 could be parted with. And that's just the valuable junk

Good call on not selling it, btw.
Magical Muffin is offline  
Reply

Tags
floral , jem , jemfp , pattern , vai

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
is every jemfp design different? toma Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models 25 10-28-2005 12:35 PM
WTT JemVSB for JemFP Fwank71 Classified Ads: Ibanez JEM/UV Guitars 2 01-15-2005 11:14 AM
Crossroads again Praetorian Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic 10 05-01-2004 11:35 PM
JemFP PerpetualBurn Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models 10 09-14-2002 12:00 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome