Current LNG Pricing? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Talking Current LNG Pricing?

I'm currently considering selling my 1987 LNG. This guitar has been in Steve's hands at his house. (I was one of the winner's of the Steve Vai BBQ a few years ago). He signed it as "Steve Vai Again 01/07" which makes it 20 years from the original. It has the handrest and all the goodies and the case is in good shape. I'd say it's in Great shape in general. No major flaws, a few minor dings, no fading, etc...

Anyway, my question is does anyone know what the current market price is/should be for the guitar? I'll probably throw in a picture of Steve with the guitar and some pics and maybe a few backstage passes, etc... so it will make a nice collector piece.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 12:31 PM

Re: Current LNG Pricing?

These only go for top dollar if they are dead mint.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 01:01 PM

Hi there

I bought an New Old Stock LNG back in March 2001, paid nearly £3500 to get it into my hands from the USA to England (sale price+shipping+taxes). It had never been retailed and still had the plastics on it.

I was in the market to own what I considered the iconic guitar from my youth but which I could not afford when I was a poor 18 year old back in 1987. I did see one once in a music store in Hamburg of all places (or it might have been Kiel) while on holiday in 1988 but that was as close as I came to owning one back then. Money was no object when I made my purchase and it still remains the highlight of my collection (and the only one that still goes unplayed - which I struggle to justify as I am a player more than a collector!).

I'm not sure that helps you with a valuation with your specific guitar, but I would offer the following observations - the Steve Vai connection probably won't affect the value much, it might have done if it were a perfect collectors item but lets face it, Steve makes himself pretty accessible to fans even in these days of pay to meet and greet so I suppose its something of interest rather than something that adds massively to its value. Also, once they have been played (which I think is the best thing - I'm still horribly guilty I don't play mine!!!) they are really just another 2nd hand Jem, unlikely to appreciate massively against other Jems. The LNG seems to add a bit to the value but not loads. It's not like a DNA or swirl for example.

Strangely, I've considered buying a second hand 'player' LNG so that I wouldn't feel bad about getting my hands all over it (I'm not suggesting yours is a 'player' in the negative sense, it sounds a really nice guitar). By this I don't mean a beaten up dog but a nice condition used one that I could at least not be scared to remove from the case! But this is the bizarre thing, connected with value... I wouldn't be prepared to pay anywhere near the price I paid for my original one. I guess I would expect to pay a bit of a premium against a DY or a Floral, but I would struggle to go much beyond £1,500. I know that anyone selling an LNG wouldn't let one go at that kind of money but in the back of my mind I am always thinking... 'well, I've already got one....I'm not going to go way over the odds on buying another'.

And I suppose that leads to the reason while I will probably never get another one - I think vendors need to be educated in the value of what they are trying to sell and the vendor would probably think I need to be educated in what theirs is worth.

What would I pay if I didn't already have a mint one in the collection? Good question - I think I would still play the waiting game to see if a perfect one came up and then pay whatever was asked (within reason - but I didn't care about market value when I bought mine - it was an emotional rather than investment decision). If I had to 'settle' for a nice used one I would go a little bit beyond what I consider an already expensive price on DYs - so maybe I would be pursuaded to part with between £1200 to £1500 but at that money there are an awful lot of other tempting things to spend the money on (guitars or otherwise).

I think in the end you have to worry less about what the market value might be and decide on a figure that you can accept. One that will make you feel ok about the guitar no longer being yours. For some buyers (me probably) your price would look way too optimistic, for others it would be their bargain of the decade.

Then it's just a matter of waiting to see if that buyer is out there at the same time as your guitar - obvious I know, but that's the danger of deciding to part with something like an LNG... will you always wish you never really sold it, or is it time for it to go to another good home where it will be loved and used??? If underneath you don't really want to see it go then whatever price you actually receive you will always think... I let it go too cheap!

If you absolutely know it's time for you to sell it, then name your price and see how people react.

Sorry to have rambled so much, does anyone think I am making sense??
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 01:06 PM

Check schmeee Bay, check past threads in the classifieds and past threads in the Jem subforum. Also:

http://www.ibanezrules.com/used/used_sold_jem.htm

Circa 2003, "dead mint" ones sold by Rich went for $2800. I'd start there and account for inflation, apreciation, and attrition.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 01:29 PM

Reviews: 6

You could get anywhere between 3000$ to 4200$ depending on condition and integrality of all the parts... maybe more depending on how bad the person wants it...
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! I appreciate it... I figured in the $3,000 range. I'd keep it forever, but I'm just getting to the point where I never get to play it. It's hanging on the wall next to my 7vwh and 10 other guitars that I'm thinking of dumping too. Figure I'll keep two for fun...

Quick funny story, while we were at Steve's house for the BBQ, he brought out a ton of his guitars from The Vault (Actually Mikey got them out). One was a demo LNG that wasn't numbered, etc... I went to the bathroom at one point and came back and Steve had switched mine with his! I should have kept it! Great guy, great time. I was lucky to be a part of it.

Thanks again and now I have to make up my mind about parting with it. I guess e.bay will be the way to go.

Cheers!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 03:02 PM

Pee Bay, or the classifieds here. There always seems to be some WTBs for 777s. There's some some there right now.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 03:21 PM
Banned

try selling it here first give one of the lads a chance to buy it.very very sort after and by far the most expensive 777.if it were mine id want £2000-£2500 pending on condition,sell it and by another 777 and you still have basicly the same guitar but different colour scheme and a pocket full of cash left over to buy other goodies,new effects perhaps or amp ect .
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 04:27 PM

The last one presented as "dead mint" on evil bay went for $3500 (BIN price) - someone here got that one, not me.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 12:46 AM

I just want to say ARE YOU NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I mean if you need the cash sell a freak n kidney !!!!!!!!!
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaindewcowboy View Post
I just want to say ARE YOU NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I mean if you need the cash sell a freak n kidney !!!!!!!!!
+1 (million)
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

MountainDEWCowboy --- HA!!! That's funny man... Yeah, well the wife kind of said the same thing last night. She originally bought it for me for Father's Day so she's not too keen on me selling it.

I really appreciate the feedback from everyone. I'm going to mull it over for a bit and figure out what to do. More than likely I will keep it but get rid of my 1st year 7vwh and my EBMM Petrucci. The BOSS (wife) was ok with that! HA!

Look for those ads shortly. If anyone is interested before I get them up, just message me and I can send you some pics. They are both in incredible shape. The Petrucci is one of the nicest and most playable guitars I've had and the 7VWH is near perfect, signed by Steve, and has the ebony neck which I really do like.

Have a good weekend everyone!
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 11:03 AM

Yeah man, sell the other two not the LNG. Those guitars just have something special about them, and they are just getting rarer and rarer as time goes by. Hold onto that one.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 09:44 PM

LOL I friend of mine said she was a coca cola cow girl cuz she was Sponsored by Coke. I said Oh ya Im a Mountaindew cowboy. N she said why? are you sponsored by them N I said no but when I meet a Coca Cola Cowgirl I mount n dew them. N it just kinda stuck with me. Any way dont sell the LNG its one of those things you will regret later I have been dreaming about them every since I saw Poison and CC had one and I thought WOW! that is the most bad azzz guitar ive ever seen!
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 01:26 PM

yeah i have all three 777s (no vines) and i wouldnt sell any of them SPECIALLY not the green. got it from rich shiped to england paid like jus over 2 gs? but i probably would want more than 3GRAND my sk is '87 so probably sell the yellow if i had too cos its a 88 i think? in a closet somewere..

Tags
777 , jem , lng

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode