Custom flamed maple JS/540r project-pics - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Custom flamed maple JS/540r project-pics

Here you go, thought I'd put it up under JS too, since the 540R and JS are close cousins...

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f18/cu...ics-96714.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 10:49 PM

Reviews: 10
Re: Custom flamed maple JS/540r project-pics

very nice man, I can't wait to be building guitars like this
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 02:49 PM

Looks very cool!
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. The first $5k takes it! haha.

Here's the next build, probably take another 17 years!

http://s476.photobucket.com/albums/r...xas%20Project/

For those that can't tell it'll be a fake Maxxas, with a regular neck pocket and solid body (no chambers) it's a single piece of Mahogany, no glue joints, and it's from decades ago when a guitarist friend of mine saved the piece of wood from someone who had started chiseling a backgammon board onto it. It was big enough for 2 bodies, the other will be a carved top Soloist style. It is so light weight it doesn't need to be hollow!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 05:36 AM

Wow, nice start
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 08:36 AM

Looks like it'll be another cool one, Frank! I'm curious -- after the initial rough cutting, are you doing all of your shaping, contouring, etc entirely by hand? If so, what tools do you prefer to use? rasp, sanders, spokeshave...? Just wondering because your work always seems to come out well.
Cheers,
Bert
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

The roto rasp in the top of the first picture is the weapon of choice for all the bulk material removal, then the random orbital sander to clean it up and for the main sculpting. Belt sanders are great, too, I just don't have a good one so the rasp has to do for now. This mahogany is so light weight, well aged, and crisp that it cuts like lettuce. Final shaping is razor blades and files. The flatness of blades and files won't lie. That's how you put the factory straightness into it, rather than the home-built lumpiness.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 11:25 AM

Thanks for the info. I've been using a rasp, an orbital sander, various sized sanding blocks and some sandpaper-on-PVC pipe things for the deep contours. I've had trouble with lumpiness on light, porous basswood, but have done OK with most other woods. (But yours always look better...)

Tags
satriani radius custom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode