Ibanez JEM Forum banner
11K views 40 replies 14 participants last post by  Brosa 
#1 ·
I'm kinda new here (actually I was here LOOONG ago as Ibaman) and I have returned because I have a few questions.

My question copied and posted from the JP forums-

A guitar 'project' I am considering. I want to have a custom Ibanez, except they don't have a custom shop. It's basically a JEM without the single coil, a swirl finish (to my specs) some kind of custom inlays I haven't decided on yet (possibly the DNA inlays) a lot of stuff that glows in the dark (the pickguard, side dots, front dots, headstock logo, and possibly 1 of the colors in the swirl) colored volume and tone knobs, colored pickups, colored switch head, a JEM body with monkey grip, AANJ, EXACT replication of Ibanez Wizard neck, and either black or the cosmo black (kind of a black matte) hardware. SOOO...

What's the best way to go about getting this? Should I just get GMW Guitarworks to make the entire thing for me or send it to different places listed on JEMSite? I need some advice.

My other post-

I have looked at all the links before and the ones that looked important to me were-
About Time Designs
EKG
Fede
Universal Jems

And from Pauly, Custom Guitar Wares.

A few questions-
Does anybody know who has the better swirls, Custom Guitar Wares or Fede?

I'm leaning toward doing a Fede Custom Shop/EKG guitar with a swirl finish. Can they make the clear pickguard, the side dots, the logo (Ibenez, cheesy look alike signature), and the front dots and/or custom inlay illuminant like on the VAI2KDNA? Can they make an exact replication of an Ibanez wizard neck and AANJ and Ibanez headstock and any inlay I want? And also, where could I get colored vol/tone knobs? And yet ANOTHER question, can they get an Ibanez Lo Pro Edge tremolo or is a Floyd Rose Low Pro basically the same thing? AND FINALLY (yes believe it or not) could they do the 'cosmo black' hardware like on some Ibanez's? It's kind of a matte black. I think that's it...I'm looking for everything just like an Ibanez down to EVERYTHING...even the tilted jack input. So right now it looks like it's Fede/EKG or GMW Guitarworks.

Advice/answers to my million questions?

I was hoping that many of you Ibanez junkies here could help me out. It's basically a 'custom' VAI2KDNA with my personal mods (because I don't wanna spend $4500 on one) and so I was thinking the Fede/EKG option or a completely made in one package GWM Guitarworks guitar. However I dunno if they can do that.

I have said enough, you are tired of reading, please help me out and thank you in advance (maybe Rich can help me out here). :wink:

See less See more
#4 ·
Nope, no "advice", just knew where there was a starting point ;) Actually it's not bad for Herc, and I'm not particularly fond of his swirls since I'm a purist, but there apears to be some transparency to the colors. I know GMW is pretty high priced and I've never seen one of their customs in person so I really can't coment.

#11 ·
CGW doesn't do swirls, ATD and Herc are the only 2 swirl artists. As for the rest of the work, I would personally recommend EKG for the body. When it comes to inlays, well, you never listed my name up there so I guess ya didn't like me LOL. at any rate, as for the neck, if you just want an AANJ wizard neck, it'd be cheaper to just buy one and have the inlays you want done put into that neck. CGW can build you an exact neck, and I believe EKG is nearing the point to be ready to build necks as well.

Good luck

#13 ·
I want to build/buy one too!

Very similiar to what you're talking about. I put an add in the Classifieds, because one thing I've learned from building old muscle-cars is that most of the time it's cheaper to buy one already done than to build the whole thing from the ground up. You usually have to sacrifice a couple things that aren't exactly the way you want them, but give-and-take. I'm thinking now that getting a Jem7VWH as a starting point/parts-guitar may be the way to go. (I wish the hardware wasn't Gold for my project though)

What exactly were you talking about 'lizard effect'. I've looked at several DNA's on the web, don't really know what you mean though.

I've seen Jem colored pick-up bobin covers and knobs on Ebay before. I haven't ever seen the special irredescent clear pickgaurds anywhere, only the regular clear ones. (probably impossible to get)

Please keep me posted to what you find out about parts and custom work and I'll do the same for you. You hit the nail on the head when you said you wouldn't pay $4500 for a 'real' DNA- It'd be a shame to even play one or risk damaging it because of how rare and awesome they are.

#16 ·
Shredder stuck in the 80s said:
EKG/Fede/AND LGM are all connected. So, I could get EKG to make me a JEM Style body and a neck, have LGM add custom inlays to the neck, and have Fede (or ATD) do the swirl. Then have a luther add colored DiMarzios and all the other hardware. Sound like a good plan?
I don't know... it's your guitar. How does it sound to you?

:)

If you're going for a swirl, please also get the headstock swirled to match. It breaks my heart to see incredible swirled bodies with plain black headstocks. :(

#25 ·
littlegreenman said:
hey man, yeah, you could say I'm with LGM LOL, I am LGM, anyway, what is your name? I never got an email regarding a glow inlay. Let me know in case I somehow missed it
My email is Guitarzan@charter.net
OR
whhunter@charter.net

I emailed EKG, and I didn't actually email Fede or LGM. EKG may forward the email to you...that's what I was assuming they would do. But just in case they werent-
I wanted the inlay to basically be the VAI2KDNA inlay, the dots glow in the dark green abalone, both vines are glow in the dark blue, and the side dots are glow in the dark green. That would probably be all the work you would have to do.

Could you tell me how much it would cost? Or (if I remember correctly) can't you give prices over the message board? If not, email either address above and give me the price. Or, maybe EKG will forward it to you, get the price, get the swirl price from Fede, and then give me the total.

Working with 3 businesses is confusing 8O

#26 ·
I have also pretty much decided against a GMW Ibanez look alike. They can't do a monkeygrip and the inlay work would take them 15-18 months. I dunno if LGM would take shorter or not, but the price was WAYY up there for the GMW guitar. I think it will be much less for the EKG/Fede/LGM guitar. Plus you guys work exclusively on Ibanez look alikes so I think it would be closer to the original. I look forward to hearing from you guys. :wink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.