custom jem with acrylic body - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: ca
Posts: 848
custom jem with acrylic body

i want to do a jem reverse headstock neck maple/ebony with full scaloping from half top to full bottom

i want to use a solid black pigmented acrylic, i got a guy localy who will mill it and polish it

but i need to know the neck angle pocket specs, and the fretboard radius of the jemsits going to be a 6 string with a fixed bridge any specs u guys can give me?
losgatosrg350dx is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 02:09 AM
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: New South Wales, Australia
Posts: 1,024
Re: custom jem with acrylic body

So will it be a old school heel or a AANJ neck socket? And tell us more, price of the acrylic body, pup selcetion etc!
ibz_SA is offline  
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: ca
Posts: 848
Re: custom jem with acrylic body

im thinking the regular heel, since i dont do much soloing anyways

want a 22 fretter

i have a deal im going to get the completed milled black acrylic for 200 flat, wich is nice


i want to use evo and breed in it, no middle pickup
losgatosrg350dx is offline  
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 07:55 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: nashville
Posts: 787
Re: custom jem with acrylic body

if you go 22 frets, that's about the last remnant of any JEM details out the window. Anyway, if you are building the acrylic body from scratch, I suggest buying a beat up used (and cheap) S style(22 fret) guitar and copy the details of the shape and neck pocket. There's no better way to get the right details than to copy the genuine article(at least genuine Ibanez). If you were going 24 frets, go with a beat up RG to copy. Just a suggestion.
albee1952 is offline  
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 08:00 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 123
Re: custom jem with acrylic body

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
if you go 22 frets, that's about the last remnant of any JEM details out the window. Anyway, if you are building the acrylic body from scratch, I suggest buying a beat up used (and cheap) S style(22 fret) guitar and copy the details of the shape and neck pocket. There's no better way to get the right details than to copy the genuine article(at least genuine Ibanez). If you were going 24 frets, go with a beat up RG to copy. Just a suggestion.
Ive been looking for some beat up Ibanez's for a while... no one has seen any, neither have I. I saw an old low end S in the pawn here, but their price was CRAZY. 300... it was all rusty and one of the fine tuners was missing, with NUMEROUS dings!
Tmcarr is offline  
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: ca
Posts: 848
Re: custom jem with acrylic body

uhhhhm

i dont like 24 frets

i like 22....but 24/22 makes no difference, and when we base it of specs
im was very clear what i was asking, not this diddle-doo answers u gave me

neeeed


full radius demensions, compund or flat....the jstandard jem spec radius, im not sure so im asking what they are..???
and the neck pocket angle


im not into the acrylic look itself, i want a acrylic body so i can get it routed, and swirl painted....the neck i have a guy who will make a reverse headstock ibanez neck, and also any radius i want...im going to scallop it i like the tone acrylic give u, it supurb i think, vbery crisp and very dark/bold!!!

but anyways back to the question, anyone got a spec for the jem radius and or the neck pocket angle??
losgatosrg350dx is offline  
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 09:15 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Lake Balboa, CA
Posts: 217
Re: custom jem with acrylic body

Quote:
Originally Posted by losgatosrg350dx View Post
I have a guy who will make a reverse headstock Ibanez neck, and also any radius i want
It is irrelevant what the specs are for a the neck pocket part. What matters is what the guy makes. Take measurements of the neck, as that is what is going in the body. If that doesn't match, you're screwed....
RAI6 is offline  
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 09:37 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Glen Cove, NY
Posts: 234
Re: custom jem with acrylic body

Quote:
Originally Posted by losgatosrg350dx View Post
uhhhhm

i dont like 24 frets

i like 22....but 24/22 makes no difference, and when we base it of specs
im was very clear what i was asking, not this diddle-doo answers u gave me

neeeed


full radius demensions, compund or flat....the jstandard jem spec radius, im not sure so im asking what they are..???
and the neck pocket angle


im not into the acrylic look itself, i want a acrylic body so i can get it routed, and swirl painted....the neck i have a guy who will make a reverse headstock ibanez neck, and also any radius i want...im going to scallop it i like the tone acrylic give u, it supurb i think, vbery crisp and very dark/bold!!!

but anyways back to the question, anyone got a spec for the jem radius and or the neck pocket angle??

first off, are you serious? there are literally a million different ways (even just by looking on jemsite) to get this info. maybe try the search function or maybe reading some of the links on the main page before you post next time.

secondly, http://www.jemsite.com/jem/necks.htm. there's the radius info you need. if you don't feel like clicking, the radius of jem and wizard fingerboards is 430mm or roughly 16.93 inches.

third, as to neck pocket angle, it'll depend on what kind of bridge you intend on using but as near as i can tell jems/rgs/etc. neck flanges are dead-flat, as in completely parallel to the top or back of the guitar. i haven't bothered to measure, but i did take a quick glance at the pig pile of ibanez guitars directly next to me and they seemed to all tell me the same story.

seeing as you're building a plastic guitar with 22 frets, a reverse headstock, and a fixed bridge, well, i think you probably have a lot of room to move around as it doesn't really seem like you're trying emulate any ibanez that currently exists.

i hope this helps in some way.
markyperfection is offline  
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: ca
Posts: 848
Re: custom jem with acrylic body

Quote:
Originally Posted by markyperfection View Post
first off, are you serious? there are literally a million different ways (even just by looking on jemsite) to get this info. maybe try the search function or maybe reading some of the links on the main page before you post next time.

secondly, http://www.jemsite.com/jem/necks.htm. there's the radius info you need. if you don't feel like clicking, the radius of jem and wizard fingerboards is 430mm or roughly 16.93 inches.

third, as to neck pocket angle, it'll depend on what kind of bridge you intend on using but as near as i can tell jems/rgs/etc. neck flanges are dead-flat, as in completely parallel to the top or back of the guitar. i haven't bothered to measure, but i did take a quick glance at the pig pile of ibanez guitars directly next to me and they seemed to all tell me the same story.

seeing as you're building a plastic guitar with 22 frets, a reverse headstock, and a fixed bridge, well, i think you probably have a lot of room to move around as it doesn't really seem like you're trying emulate any ibanez that currently exists.

i hope this helps in some way.



yes it does, i just was baffled by the direction of the forum, i couldnt find it for he life of me


i played a couple acrylics a jem and a bc rich, sounded awesome both had breeds in it

anyways, yeah i know it a far shot, but itll be my 5152 ha! frankie from a jem, i just wana swirl, but i also want to own a acrylic guitar


but u cant have a acrylic without a ibanez headstock

i like 22 fret guitars bc i have really fat fingers and i cant play a 24 for the life of me
losgatosrg350dx is offline  
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 03:24 AM
 
Jaden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Cambridge, UK
Posts: 2,465
Re: custom jem with acrylic body

neck pocket is a 0.5mm slope from the neck pickup to the end of the pocket, the standard fingerboard radius of a JEM is 17" - or 430mm
if you are going to be changing to a 22 fret neck you will have to do some jiggery pokery with the way it mates to the body or move the bridge and pups - just adjust so your scale length is still 25.5"
Jaden is offline  
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 08:39 AM
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Detroit
Posts: 597
Re: custom jem with acrylic body

Quote:
Originally Posted by losgatosrg350dx View Post
i like 22 fret guitars bc i have really fat fingers and i cant play a 24 for the life of me
So don't play on the 23rd and 24th frets much. The rest of the fret spacing is absolutely identical.
djohns74 is offline  
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: ca
Posts: 848
Re: custom jem with acrylic body

eh, i just dont like having em there they trow me off

and i like how 22 fret neck looks kill me for it but the 24 is too much for me

yeah i was concidering the make it flatt neck pocket and recess my bridge inot the body maybe to correct the confusion ones i assemble it, i guess its not a jem, so i can just just customise it mega!
losgatosrg350dx is offline  
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 12:51 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: usa
Posts: 2,612
Re: custom jem with acrylic body

Quote:
Originally Posted by losgatosrg350dx View Post
but u cant have a acrylic without a ibanez headstock
Where do you come up with this stuff...... Lucite or acrylic guitars have been around awhile.

http://www.danarmstrong.org/dan11.html
jemplayer55 is offline  
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 01:03 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Wirral, England
Posts: 195
Re: custom jem with acrylic body

I have a good ol' dan armstrong, great things but heavy as hell
sihackett29 is offline  
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: ca
Posts: 848
Re: custom jem with acrylic body

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemplayer55 View Post
Where do you come up with this stuff...... Lucite or acrylic guitars have been around awhile.

http://www.danarmstrong.org/dan11.html
i never said i was a inovator LOL

im just obsessed with the idea
losgatosrg350dx is offline  
Reply

Tags
aanj neck , acrylic guitar , crystal planet , fingerboard radius , fixed bridge , fret guitar , fret guitars , fret neck , fretboard radius , ibanez guitars , ibanez neck , neck angle , neck pickup , production model , reverse headstock , standard jem

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Custom Built Jem Body Old Heel shotgunlew Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models 5 01-22-2008 11:19 AM
F/S Custom Jem Style Guitar Body dszath Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 0 12-28-2007 12:28 PM
Neck for a JEM body metallica81788 Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 9 12-23-2007 03:00 AM
FS // Jem DNA Body, killer design for custom project RockeyRaccoon89 Classified Ads: Ibanez JEM/UV Guitars 4 02-15-2006 11:11 AM
Another Luthier doing JEM body .... edo Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models 12 02-05-2001 08:03 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome