Custom Jem - Finished, another one on the way. - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Custom Jem - Finished, another one on the way.

I finished my Korina jem this month. Here are the specs.

Ibanez RG Japanese Neck with frets 21-24 scalloped
Rear routed 2 pc Korina body
Translucent Wine Red stain
16 thin coats of nitro lacquer, polished by hand to a super gloss
Body not grain filled with the imperfections left as is
Norton PU for the Neck
Unknown single coil in the middle (actually sound really good)
Tone Zone in the bridge.
The electronics are wired as a cross between the new Jems and the older 1988 Jem 777RB
Original Black Edge trem with locking studs.
AANJ
Plain black pickguard
All pickups are mounted direct to the body ala Van Halen.

I'm really impressed with the feel and sound of this guitar - The neck position has a Petrucci'esque tone. The bridge has a lot of bite, just enough mids and tight bass. Overall, the sound is very tight and focused. Excellent for quick runs. The RG neck is perfect in terms of straightness and playability, although it is a lot thinner that the Jem 777RB neck. Only drawback is that it is a litle heavier than the Basswoood, front routed Jem 777RB.

Next up is a 3 piece Mahogany Jem, rear-routed like the Korina. I'm thinking of painting it black with white or silver polka dots, kinda like Randy Rhoad's custom V or Buddy Guy's dot strat. No pickguard. Electronics would be either full EMG81/SA/85 OR paf pro in the neck, dist in the neck and a HS-2 in the middle.
What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 09:06 PM

Re: Custom Jem - Finished, another one on the way.

sounds good... but where are the pictures?!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 10:49 PM

pixpixpix
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 12:31 PM

Im almost finished with my Jem (well RG to Jem conversion) I took the rg and stripped it down, routed the monkey grip, neck joint, and input jack, then put an evo in the bridge kept the RG single coil, and bought a fernanades sustainer and routed a bunch for that too.. I have a bunch of pics if you guys are interested (none are past the stripping) on my site:

Parkerfly.250free.com

Cant wait to see pics of that thing!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 07:02 PM

Gotta see some pics dude !

Regards

André

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-27-2005, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Old links

Last edited by Project.Music; 03-16-2019 at 10:33 AM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-27-2005, 04:03 PM

lookin sweet! not sure on the paint though!!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-27-2005, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Paint? There is no paint. Do you mean colour?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-27-2005, 05:28 PM

I think he does, i know what he means though i think it looks a little cheap and lipsticky.

Nice spec though.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-27-2005, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

The pictures look more orangey and bright than in real life. Its actually a lot darker than on the pics. Next time, I'll take better pictures.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-27-2005, 06:26 PM

When reading the specs I thought.....oh, yeah.......

Actuall guitar lacks this excitement.

Looking at project it might would have been better to keep the body au natural. It would have giving the whole project a more custom feel. Korina has this wonderful yellowish natural color, that currently is hiding under that redish color.

Maybe in real life it's more impressive........and pics might not do it justice.......

Quote:
Body not grain filled with the imperfections left as is
With staining you sometimes wanna enhance the grain in the wood by bringing e.g "black" epoxy on body and sanding this back again, bringing out the grain of the wood. I mean....that's the whole purpose of doing staining...or transparent color....to bring out beauty of underlying wood.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-27-2005, 09:17 PM

I think it would have looked better with a white guard and white pu's, like this UV:

http://ekgguitars.com/galleries/redu...s/UV7RSP4.html
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemmm
When reading the specs I thought.....oh, yeah.......

Actuall guitar lacks this excitement.

Looking at project it might would have been better to keep the body au natural. It would have giving the whole project a more custom feel. Korina has this wonderful yellowish natural color, that currently is hiding under that redish color.
Ouch! Tough crowd. Like I said - real color is Wine Red - The dig camera I used screwed up the colors and I don't know how to adjust.
The natural Korina color is actually not that great unless slightly colored to make it darker like the old Gibsons but I don't like Yellow guitars and I don't like the natural Bad Horsie. I much prefer something like the BSB or RB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemmm
With staining you sometimes wanna enhance the grain in the wood by bringing e.g "black" epoxy on body and sanding this back again, bringing out the grain of the wood. I mean....that's the whole purpose of doing staining...or transparent color....to bring out beauty of underlying wood.
You can't see it in the pics but the grain (pores) are dark (black) and the rest is Wine Red. With the nice straight grain of Korina, its actually really nice. These little black lines are scattered accros the entire body.

Important thing is that I like it and that it sounds good.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 04:28 AM

I really like it! Bet this is going to become a real workhorse.

Don't listen to them, they only care about white guitars with gold hardware and pearloid pickguards anyway
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzguitardude
Important thing is that I like it and that it sounds good.
Exactly! that's the thing alot of people seem to forget around here, a guitar is a personal thing. I'm sure there's someone out there that plays wal-mart guitars religously (he's probably blind and deaf tho...) more power to him.

Personaly I'd have left it raw, simply because I think Korina is beutiful, but that's just me, though I must admit I really like the SG meets JEM look it's got.

Tags
art guitar , black pickguard , edge trem , fixed bridge , jem conversion , locking stud , locking studs , monkey grip , neck joint , neck position , paf pro , pearloid pickguard , tight bass , tone zone , van halen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode