custom jem questions - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

custom jem questions

for my bday in october i want to get a jem but im not sure if i want to get a jem7vwh or get a custom jem with an edge trem instead of an edge pro. but i dont know what are the best custom guitar places and the cheapest,are there any places that make custom jem's that are cheaper than the new ibanez jem's?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 07:18 PM

Re: custom jem questions

Well chances are your never going to get a custom jem done in time for October..
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

hm yeah i figured that, so u think just get a jem7vwh from rich so i can get the locking stud mod and his professional setup?
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 07:25 PM

Well, simply by the nature of mass-manufacturing reducing costs, there really aren't many custom shops that are going to beat production guitars on terms of price point. Of course, though, to spend an extra couple hundred to get a guitar built to exactly YOUR specs (instead of being limited to the VWH or BRMR) shouldn't actually be a deterrent.

Check out some of the site sponsors, though. EKG cuts bodies to JEM specs and does finishing, although, like all of the good guys nowadays, he may be booked solid. You can always buy a used RG body, have it routed for a grip and lion's claw and get it refinished (swirled, maybe) by Sims Custom Shop (US). As far as a neck goes, it's up in the air. I hear good things and bad things about Christopher Woods. Then again, you can always buy an Ibanez neck and have a new, inlaid fretboard installed and save some money.

Granted, that's all vague... now, what specs are you really looking for? Different woods, paint, etc? And, yeah, setting an October deadline is not realistic. Good things come to those who wait...
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demiurge View Post
Good things come to those who wait...

haha im case in point, took 16 years but I got a mint 88 Floral for $800
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

well i was looking for just an alder body, maybe a dna swirl, a vine on a ebony fretboard, black hardware, an edge tremolo, evo pups and just a plane maple neck. also the claw trem route and the jem grip and aanj neck join.

edit
- if u want more in depth i have a whole list of specs that ive asked for a price quote on but never got the quote back to me. (from ekg guitars)
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 07:39 PM

well newguitmaker (Shortened to long of a name)

I would go with your dream Jem, but the odds of having done by October are slim to none, and if it does get done it will probably look crappy since you rushed things.

Take your time and do it right, make sure its exactly what you want no matter how long it takes..

Take the one guy here he waited 3 years to get the body done.. 3 YEARS good lord but its beautiful and how he wanted it.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezcollector View Post
well newguitmaker (Shortened to long of a name)

I would go with your dream Jem, but the odds of having done by October are slim to none, and if it does get done it will probably look crappy since you rushed things.

Take your time and do it right, make sure its exactly what you want no matter how long it takes..

Take the one guy here he waited 3 years to get the body done.. 3 YEARS good lord but its beautiful and how he wanted it.
yeah i saw it, it was a beauty, i think i am going to just either get a jem7vwh or try and get a vsbl from either rich or the classified ads if there are any vsbl's for sale around that time. the custom jem was just something i was thinking about but i think i should get a custom one later in my life.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieguitarmaker View Post
hm yeah i figured that, so u think just get a jem7vwh from rich so i can get the locking stud mod and his professional setup?
Well you can't go wrong there plus you'll have it in plenty of time.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Robb View Post
Well chances are your never going to get a custom jem done in time for October..
+1 I've been waiting 3 years almost for my custom .

Regards

André

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 06:17 AM

Newbie, don't take this the wrong way, but when I was 15 years old I certainly would not have noticed the difference between a full on custom and a stock 7VWH. I would have been ecstatic to have a Jem of any kind, let alone a VWH. My patience certainly would NOT have lasted the long wait for a custom. Get a VWH.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilk420 View Post
Newbie, don't take this the wrong way, but when I was 15 years old I certainly would not have noticed the difference between a full on custom and a stock 7VWH. I would have been ecstatic to have a Jem of any kind, let alone a VWH. My patience certainly would NOT have lasted the long wait for a custom. Get a VWH.
yeah i know thats y i figured i was going to go with the 7vwh.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fettouhi View Post
+1 I've been waiting 3 years almost for my custom .

Regards

André
And I hope he's giving you some sort of discount for that, seriously, I couldn't wait 1 year, nevermind 3. I mean, come on, you could build a skyscraper in less time.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Robb View Post
And I hope he's giving you some sort of discount for that, seriously, I couldn't wait 1 year, nevermind 3. I mean, come on, you could build a skyscraper in less time.
Jeremy hasn't made any money this this guitar. I'm pretty sure of that.

Regards

André

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 02:37 PM

Get the VSBL. Everyone and their brother has a VWH. You could do what I'm doing though. I'm sending my RG550 off to have it custom refinished at SCS (the US one). This would be cheaper, and you have an RG, which is very similar to a JEM.

Tags
aanj neck , alder body , christopher woods , custom guitar , custom jem , custom shop , dna swirl , ebony fretboard , edge trem , ekg guitars , ibanez jem , ibanez neck , locking stud , locking stud mod , maple neck , sims custom , sims custom shop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode