Custom Jem reworked - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Custom Jem reworked

i have slowly been working this project over the past few years and it is very close to its final stage. some of you may remember this one and with recent re-work on it i figured it was time for an update.
i had originally stained a darker walnut finish and a low-gloss tung-oil but it was too dark and you lost the look of the beautiful grain. so i re-sanded, tung-oiled and have now added a generous coat of clear gloss laquer (foam brushed on Minwax Polyester Clear Gloss). this is my first attempt at a clear coat and i couldn't have asked for a better result! i didn't buff, sand or anything on the final finish and i really like the grain patterns in the gloss - amazing to see this guitar in person (which noone except my gf has since i reworked it until now). the clear makes it look 3D when you tilt it in the light which it didn't do before i lightened the finish and added the clear gloss - you can see the grain in the pic of the back of the body and get an idea of what i mean.
F.Falbo (jemsiter extrodinaire) made the mahogany 2pc body and Harper Guitars made the maple and ebony neck (Dr.Vai signed the headstock for me). i took hardware and electronics from a new RG570 (the parts were new when they went on it over 2yrs ago), added a Double Whammy Dimarzio (crm/blk) in the bridge and a PAF Dimarzio in the neck w/ a micro switch to get bridge, bridge neck (sweet stratty tone!) and neck combo's respectively. the tone knob is there for looks only. this body was converted from being a hardtail Tele style to an edge route; also hence the micro switch over a blade 3 way type as it was intended to have EMG's.
here's some pics of the before an after look with the lighter grain and gloss:

before:

after:

i still need to sand the headstock a little and clear it. when i change the strings again, i'll take care of that and probably clear the signature as well (if it isn't going to mess up the ink?)
i LOVE the pup combo! the DW bridge pup is perfect for this wood and was specifically designed to enhance tone on tremmed guitars (that tend to loose tone with the lack of contact to the body woods - so i'm told). the PAF sounds fat, clean and clear and when both pups are on i get that awesome Stratty tone! i'm in heaven! it plays great, sounds great and you can be the judge of how it looks! i put different colored knobs on it as i misplaced the cosmo knobs when i started to put it back together. i found them but i liked the mis-matched look so much i plan to keep it this way. i considered a clear guard but can't bring myself to drill holes to mount it.
besides the headstock gloss, the only thing left to do is to resolve the tiny abalone side dots issue i have: i can't see them on a dark stage! i need to have pearl dots put in place of the abalone - which i am to afraid to even attempt myself.
i will play it at a local club this weekend for it's "new" maiden voyage since i added the new pups and finish (they have great lighting, nice and bright).
i am besides myself with the tone and feel of my "new" axe! big thanks to all who had a hand in helping me along!
this custom Jem has yet to be named...ideas?

Last edited by screamndemon69; 09-06-2006 at 11:46 AM. Reason: added pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 12:06 PM

Re: Custom Jem reworked

Turned out nice..... as far as names..... here's a kinda lame one, how about "Woodie"???
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 12:12 PM

wow wow wow man !!!
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemplayer55 View Post
Turned out nice..... as far as names..... here's a kinda lame one, how about "Woodie"???
thanks. as far as the name, i like it! change the spelling to Woody and i think i have a front runner! innuendo is a wonderful thing and i can hear it now, "i'm playing with my Woody!" or, "i need to strap-on my Woody!", or "fingering", ect. ROFLMAO!!
i'm easily amused!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 12:31 PM

you got the idea.....
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 12:59 PM

absolutely gorgeous - I'm jealous of your abilities. All I have the ability to do is purchase and "play" to a certain extent. Anything fancy has to be done by somebody else. I'm doing good these days to tune a guitar, let alone refinish one.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 10:55 PM

Nice!!!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 11:13 PM

Looks very nice!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 01:40 AM

Very nice, you did a great job, it looks pretty cool. Nice collection too, I really like the 7VBK.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 03:33 AM

Really sweet man
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

thanks guys! i am in love all over again with this guitar! the tone and playability are totally different than any of my others!
this is my first attempt at a clear coat and it turned out nice but far from perfect.
anyone that wants to browse some of my other babies can go here: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ear/?start=all

Last edited by screamndemon69; 09-07-2006 at 10:11 AM.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 10:17 AM

that really is gorgeous. i'd buy that guitar if it was in a shop, and i could afford it!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 10:31 AM

Yeah - really sweet Demon

Great work buddy!!!

Ha ha......"Woody" is the perfect name

Leave it to Mikey to come up with that one
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-08-2006, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

thanks Jim!

i have to give credit again for the body to Frank Falbo - he is the one with talent. i just put the clear on it, hardware and electronics...oh, and of course had Dr.Vai "bless" it for me.
i like "Woody". that seems to fit the bill.
the names just keep me from saying "white Jem", "custom Jem", ect.
BTW Jim, nice fretboard on your new baby! SAAAWEEEET! i'm jealous of the nice collection you have but you don't need two Florals though so we need to talk ......
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-08-2006, 11:15 AM

Ha ha ha....get in line Demon

And thanks! I am LOVING my new baby!!!!

total ~bliss~

Tags
bridge pup , clear coat , custom jem , ebony board , ebony neck , frank falbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode