Custom Korina Jem - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-20-2004, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Custom Korina Jem

I'm building a custom 2pc Korina Jem, rear route, with black hardware and pickups.

The neck is a Japanese Wizard II (Very close to the Jem neck) AANJ on which I want to inlay a small frankenstein dude at the first position - if I have the courage to do it.

I'm leaning toward a dark, "fruity" red stain like in this guitar http://www.ibanezrules.com/images/gallery/red_lace.jpg
but I haven't made up my mind yet.

I'm wondering if I should put a pickguard on the guitar and if I do, do I go for clear (I really don't see the point), black, engraved black, pearloid black?

Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-20-2004, 08:46 PM

Welcome!

Korina is nice wood. Looking foward to pics! I think you could omit the pickguard. If you do go for the pickguard, maybe a lighter pearloid pickguard would look nice (?).

good luck
wemedge
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-20-2004, 09:27 PM

I like clear pickguards. They visually break up the face of the guitar while still letting you see through to the finish. The effect is similar to the way body panels on cars are contoured.

A white pickguard would also look nice for that red. Of course, a white pickguard would make it very Strat looking. If you want to be a little daring, a really deep purple (almost black) would be sweet.

Ha ha, I said "deep purple."

I've always thought that red guitar + black pickguard looks cheap but that might be because my first guitar had that color combo and it was a complete POS.

I'd be careful with a pearloid pickguard if the grain on the wood is going to visible. The textures might clash and the guitar look garish.

All IMO, of course. You should just do whatever you want. And post pics.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-20-2004, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, you're right - a patterned pickguard may be too much for a stained guitar...

What's a good source for a Clear pickguard?

I'll get pics up in a month's time. I'm pretty much done with the shaping/sanding of the body.

Tags
black pickguard , jem neck , pearloid pickguard , white pickguard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode