Custom Paint for 7vwh - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Custom Paint for 7vwh

Hi. I have a 7vwh and absolutely love it! I've picked up another one or two in stores, but this one feels the best out of everything I've ever picked up. It's simply awesome! However, I've always kinda disliked the white and am thinking of getting mine painted. One of my options is the swirl paint job I've read about on here a little. I read two names a lot, Herc and Darrell (i think). How can I talk to one of these guys about getting one of these paint jobs?

Also, I'd like opinions from those who don't hate swirls on how you think a black/green or other dark swirl would look with the pearl 7vwh inlays. I think black will go well, but wonder about the inlays looking okay. Have any of you done this, and what's your opinion? Thanks!

Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 02:40 PM

Re: Custom Paint for 7vwh

Well, Darren doesn't do swirls anymore. Herc is great, but will cost you ya...

My advice? Go to Sims Custom Shop (click on the banner above). He does amazing swirls that imho go on par with the greats! and for a price that you just can't beat..

Here a few links:

http://www.btinternet.com/~faymarine/swirls_home.htm

http://www.cottamguitars.co.uk/

And for a nice gallery:

http://fededesigns.com/Home.cfm

Because of your dark neck with pearl vine inlay, a black, blue, white swirl would do very nice :-)

Last edited by Jempy(HoTrOd); 10-11-2006 at 02:43 PM. Reason: spelling..
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 02:49 PM

I don't think Black and Green would look bad. If you notice in certain light you see flecks of Green and Blue in the inlays. If I was you though, I would go for a replacment body and get that swirled, in case you change your mind later or decide to sell it. You could also get a body thats rear routed that way, and go with a clear pickguard to show off more swirl!!
post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Jempy, ...thanks for the links!! I think I found this person searching google. I really have my heart set on the green and black, but I'll look into the white mix as well. Something is magical about the green and black for me, ...just hits the sweet spot if you know what I mean. Too stinkin' bad they made so few of them, and aren't making them anymore (unless something changes in the future).

DistantShore, ...good advice. I'm actually planning on putting a new clear or other pickguard on depending on what paint I settle with, getting new pickups to match, and cover plates to match. The only way I'd ever sell this guitar is if I lose an arm in a tragic accident, when looking at it would be too painful. In that case I'd probably give it to one of my guitar freak friends so it would at least stay in the close family.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 03:08 PM

I don't think the black and green would look too bad..... you'll have to post pic's when you get it done! This guy has some black and green swirl pic's.... http://www.richardfayguitars.co.uk/
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Okay, well now I see people on these sites doing the inlays too! Now I'm drooling cause I'm wondering if they can actually pull the perloid inlays and replace them with green. That would rock! (might not be for everone, but at least for me it would rock!)

Last edited by tt0511; 10-11-2006 at 03:30 PM.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 03:29 PM

Look up member "frankfalbo" he does neck work and I've heard good things about him. I've never had anything done by him but he comes highly recommended. Good luck and like I say ....you'll have to post pic's!
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 03:31 PM

If you want a real dark black and neon green, i would go to SCS of Herc Fede.

If you prefer a softer colour black and green, go to Richard Fay. He's amazing too! :

post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks man! If I can get my dreams accomplished, ...I will most certainly post pics!
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 04:05 PM

Here's a link to Frankfalbo's site.... http://www.justrefrets.com/
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt0511 View Post
Thanks man! If I can get my dreams accomplished, ...I will most certainly post pics!
Awesome! can't wait! (can you tell I love swirls?)
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Well, looks like I will be getting a new ebony fretboard with green inlays from Christopher Wood. Guess I'm going all out conversion on the color scheme. I'm thinking of moving from the green/black to the green/black/yellow/pink scheme. Fede has one on their site that is just phenomenal IMHO. I can't wait to get all this started. Christopher is backed up due to some health issues. After that, it's full speed ahead! Whoo Hoo. I'll post before and after pics when it's done!
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 09:38 AM

just my 2 cents
i would consider getting a rear-routed replacement body and neck (maybe a nice used RG so you have all the hardware: $300-$350 used) and starting from there. you might be happier in the end and not de-value the VWH. after you go thru all the swirling, new fretboard and inlays you might not like all the gold hardware and the time and expense of replacing might put your project waaaaay over the top.
using a rear routed body and getting a clear pickguard will look much nicer (IMHO)than covering up your expensive new swirl and you won't have to see the wiring and all with a clear pickguard.
i was considering a swirl (GMC) for my VBK and realized that wasn't such a good idea with a front routed guitar (for me at least). i've seen a couple done with front routes and it wasn't appealing to me at all. if you like seeing all the wiring then more power to you, it's just not my personal taste.
SIMS seems to have some nice work but i did see a couple Herc swirls in person and i'm still trying to pickup my jaw off the floor - AMAZING! a true work of art.
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 01:03 PM

dont get me wrong i love swirls as much as the next guy, but this just gives me a guitargasm every time!

http://www.projectguitar.com/gal/1d.htm
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Wow! That's nice, ...real nice. I guess, to my dismay, I will have to leave the 7vwh alone unless I get it painted another solid color. I was unaware of the routing under the pickguard. That's a real bummer. I was all excited about converting this thing over to what I really want. If only Ibanez would start producing swirl Jems.

Tags
atd swirl , atd swirls , cosmo black hardware , custom jem , custom shop , ebony fretboard , herc fede , herc swirl , les paul , neck position , richard fay , sims custom , sims custom shop , swirl jem , swirl project

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode