Customizing my RG - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Customizing my RG

Im looking to do a custom jem job on my RG 550... I just love this guitar! The only difference i have found between it and my Jem7dbk is that there is no AANJ on the RG... otherwise the neck feels the same, same bridge etc.... I wanna send it to LGM guitars and have them do the scallop, the input jack, monkey grip, the claw tem cavity, and i have 3 other things i can do... Im either going to paint it (any ideas for solid colors and pickguard color configurations) get a vine inlay, or put a sustiainer in it... What do you think? Have any of you dont any of these with other comapanies, and how did u like your results? Any other ideas?

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 06:44 PM

Re: Customizing my RG

Get it converted to AANJ?
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Can you convert a guitar to an aanj!? if so then i would but i dont think the LGM provides that...
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

If i dont end up getting it painted, what do they do with the body after all that routing? just leave it, or do they paint it also? I sent em like 5 emails but havnt heard back and im getting anxious lol
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 11:03 AM

put white pickups on it and leave it natural.... bad horsie style
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marianozz
put white pickups on it and leave it natural.... bad horsie style
Really? That might actually be a good look! Why do they put pups in it though?
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parker_fly
Why do they put pups in it though?
So you can hear the guitar?
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

I already have pickups, and if i were to send the whole guitar to em they would give me new ones?
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 11:56 AM

i guess they assumed you would want to upgrade the stock pickups?
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 12:09 PM

yup, i mentioned the pickups cause after all the upgrades, itll just beg for a set of new dimarzios

btw, now that i think about it, its a maple fretboard, im not so about the natural finish...
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

i was just thinkin bout that too.... hmmmm i dunno its worth a try, if i do it and it doesnt look good my dad has painted 3 of my guitars already and they look incredible so it doenst really matter... then i paint it black like the PBK! lol

For Pups im putting an evo in the bridge, keeping the sc, and putting a fernandes sustainer in the neck... hows that sound?
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 12:31 PM

alot of people will tell you to stay away from the evo in a basswood body because it'll sound harsh or whatever they say

i'd go with a tone zone or maybe the breeds like in your DBK
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

i dont like the breeds all that much though....ill get the evos from musicians friend and if i dont like em i can return em.. i already talked to the people there..
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parker_fly
Can you convert a guitar to an aanj!? if so then i would but i dont think the LGM provides that...
I heard that converting the old nj to aanj can give problems with the neck (stability wise). There was a torturial for it on projectguitar.com but it was removed due to problems with the neck. LGM can do the monkey grip, no problem there, but ask him about the aanj and see what he says.

Regards

André

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 05:31 PM
dex

Jeremy is very busy so he might not reply straight away but he will eventualy.
He will paint the guitar but it'll cost extra - can't tell how much exactly but it's over $200 and he'll clear it professionaly so it's worth it.
He'll swap the pickups for you if you send him the new ones but that's also extra.
In fact if you only want the body moded (monkey grip, angled jack and lion claw) then it'll be cheaper if you take the guitar apart and only send him the body, you can do the pickups yourself and just put the scratchplate in when the guitar comes back.

ilia

Tags
angled jack , basswood body , custom jem , fernandes sustainer , lgm guitars , maple fret , maple fretboard , maple neck , monkey grip , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode